Benazir Bhutto assassinated

PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#76
Posted: 12/28/07 at 1:58pm
From that article, here is the bottom line:

"So many people had a motive for killing her it's impossible to know who was responsible despite the theories and claims now being made," says the intelligence official. "There is so much scheming and double-dealing in Pakistan that the country is the analyst's worst nightmare. We may never really know what group was responsible, and what kind of help it got."

===

In Near Eastern culture, where the enemy of my enemy is my friend, to point to a single group is naive. To choose Al Qaeda to demonize is to turn a blind eye toward the myriad of special interests that allow each other to thrive, until they fight each other to the death.

This is why no Western or imperialist power can survive there: Sands shift there with the wind, and alliances are honored only as long as they are convenient. And this is why the Bush/Cheney doctrine has been so disastrous.

Because they ONLY knew that the enemy of my enemy is my friend. They didn't realize that the enemy of my friend is also my friend--because my friend is my enemy too.

The sooner we're out of there, the better. Because the only victory to be had in the Near East is waiting it out in the desert or the mountains and then swooping in and slitting the enemies' throats.

Updated On: 12/28/07 at 01:58 PM
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#77
Posted: 12/28/07 at 2:01pm
since we're not even supposed to water-board them, pj, throat slitting is decidedly verboten.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
n69n Profile Photon69n Profile Photo
n69n
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#78
Posted: 12/28/07 at 2:01pm
what does Condi say?
i want to make thngs that count
- George, SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#79
Posted: 12/28/07 at 2:09pm
Well, lookee what Ambassador Captain Kangaroo has to say:

===

John Bolton, former US ambassador to the United Nations, said it was a mistake to collaborate with Bhutto's "desire to get back into the game in Pakistan" and view her as an alternative to the country's current leader, Pervez Musharraf.

"We in effect helped -- helped -- precipitate this dynamic that led to her tragic assassination," Bolton said Thursday on Fox News' Hannity & Colmes. "It's hard to see how that was the road to success."

Bolton said the primary concern of the US needs to be the security of Pakistan's nuclear arsenal. With Bhutto's death plunging the country into chaos, there is now a "very grave danger" the weapons will fall under control of radical Islamist militants within the Pakistani military.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#80
Posted: 12/28/07 at 2:19pm
after releasing the statement the former ambassador walrus returned to sunning himself on a rock and nursing his grudges.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
roquat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#81
Posted: 12/28/07 at 2:43pm
Whomever was responsible, this is an extremely dire situation (as has been pointed out, I know.) This could actually turn into what Bush kept insisting Iraq would turn into--WMDs (nuclear this time) becoming the property of terrorists and perhaps even finding a way into this country. And it'll be hard to convince Americans fatigued by war to interfere in Pakistan. Talk about a living demonstration of "the boy who cried wolf"...
I ask in all honesty/What would life be?/Without a song and a dance, what are we?/So I say "Thank you for the music/For giving it to me."
Icehouse Life
Stand-by
Stand-by
benazir bhutto assassinated#82
Posted: 12/28/07 at 5:00pm
This disgusted me, and, while I more than realize that Bhutto wasn't perfect, she was the best hope for Pakistan and stability in the region. I was hoping she would be more wiser the third time around if she was ever going to return to the PM post. Her election did pave the way for Ciller in Turkey and Megawati in Indonesia. It can very well be someone from the Pakistani military who murdered her. Pakistan is indeed a very dark place even more so since she left. Let's not forget the tragic history of the Bhutto family: father was a popular PM in the 70s and killed by Gen. Al-Ziq. Both of Benazir's brothers were murdered on separate occassions.

Very, very sad all around...I almost cried after I heard the news. Reasoned Pakistanis not just there but around the South Asian diaspora suffer in this the most, not just the world.
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#83
Posted: 12/28/07 at 10:31pm
More on the Al-Qaeda-was-responsible-but-no-one-shot-her theory:

====

...the explanation was ridiculed by Farooq Naik, Miss Bhutto's top lawyer and a senior official in her Pakistan People's Party.

"It is baseless. It is a pack of lies," he said.

"Two bullets hit her, one in the abdomen and one in the head. It was a serious security lapse."
Row breaks out over Benazir Bhutto's death
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#84
Posted: 12/28/07 at 11:02pm
her hubby could put it all to rest if he allowed an autopsy, but he ain'ta gon' do it.

because...
it was a sniper shooting

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#85
Posted: 12/28/07 at 11:45pm
If it IS Al Qaeda...

John Aravosis points out that Bush has a lot of explaining to do:

===

A new intercept purportedly shows Al Qaeda admitting they were behind Bhutto's killing. If this is true, and let's face it, I wouldn't put it past the Pakistani government to start pointing fingers elsewhere, then Bush needs to explain to the American people why he's been ignoring Al Qaeda since 2003?

Invading Iraq had nothing to do with Al Qaeda, and in fact, Bush closed the CIA shop in charge of searching for Osama in 2003. Bush also moved lots of military assets from Afghanistan to Iraq, assets that were looking for Al Qaeda and Osama.

Bush has ignored Al Qaeda - uh, the folks who killed 3000 Americans, remember them? - since 2003 and no one has held him accountable. What's worse, we've let him (and Giuliani and others) crow about how Democrats are the ones who don't understand the threat from Al Qaeda.
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#86
Posted: 12/28/07 at 11:51pm
And speaking of Osama, look at this David Frost interview with Bhutto from November 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIO8B6fpFSQ

Go to 6:12. She says Osama was MURDERED.

Hello?

He's DEAD?
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#87
Posted: 12/28/07 at 11:57pm
And Omar Sheikh, the "man who murdered Osama bin Ladin" is Omar Saeed Sheikh, the man who (may or may not have) murdered Daniel Pearl.
Ahmed Omar Saeed Sheikh
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#88
Posted: 12/29/07 at 12:00am
heh, i just read john's piece and saw the interview earlier.

just for fun, here's a piece by her niece basically accusing her of killing her brother.
aunt benazir, why'd you kill my daddy?

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#89
Posted: 12/29/07 at 8:28am
I noticed the niece's accusation too. He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

Now the US is going to "intervene" in the investigation.

Yah, like THAT always turns out juuuuuuuust fine.

===

Mr. Musharraf and his supporters in the Bush administration, meanwhile, were coming under increasing pressure, inside and outside Pakistan, to open up the inquiry. Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton, Democrat of New York, said Friday that the United States should call for an independent investigation.

"I don't think the Pakistani government at this time under President Musharraf has any credibility at all," she told CNN in an interview. She suggested an investigation along the lines of the ongoing international inquiry into the assassination of the former Lebanese prime minister Rafik Hariri.

State Department officials said they had no plans for the moment to join the investigation. But a senior Bush administration official said, "There's a growing sense that we're going to have to work on the investigation in some way, that it can't just be a Pakistani investigation."

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly on the issue, said that administration officials were concerned that "there's so much distrust" of the Musharraf government among Pakistanis that outside nations may have to join the investigation to give the findings any credibility.

A second administration official said the idea of an independent international investigation had been proposed by "a number of people, and is certainly something that hasn't been ruled out." But, he added, no decision had been made.
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#90
Posted: 12/29/07 at 9:14am
And Josh Marshall asks, "How likely is it that someone shoots at you several times at point blank range, near so (the video suggests no more than ten feet), and then detonates a bomb a few feet away from you and a few minutes later you're dead and it has nothing to do with either of those things?"
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#91
Posted: 12/29/07 at 9:22am
well, since the hubby won't allow an autopsy we'll never know.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#92
Posted: 12/29/07 at 3:30pm
It wasn't the hubby who disallowed the autopsy--it was the government.

===

On Friday, doctors at Rawalpindi General Hospital, where she died, said that Bhutto had been killed by shrapnel to the head from an explosion, not by two bullets that Bhutto supporters cited in the aftermath of the attack. Bhutto, 54, was killed as in the aftermath of a shooting and suicide bombing as she left a political rally in the city of Rawalpindi.

The government soon changed their story, saying she'd been killed by hitting the sunroof of her LandCruiser after she'd stood up to wave to a crowd. Doctors said there were no bullet marks on the former prime minister's body, and released a limited x-ray of what they said was her skull.

More alarming, however, to Bhutto supporters was the fact no autopsy was conducted prior to burial. The official line -- according to Pakistan's interim prime minister Mohammadmian Soomro -- was that Bhutto's husband had insisted no autopsy be performed.

But according to veteran lawyer Athar Minallah who spoke to McClatchy Newspapers Friday, "an autopsy is mandatory under Pakistan's criminal law in a case of this nature."

"It is absurd, because without autopsy it is not possible to investigate," Minallah told McClatchy's Saeed Shah and Warren Strobel in a little publicized piece. "Is the state not interested in reaching the perpetrators of this heinous crime or there was a cover-up?"

Autopsies are generally not conducted in Islam unless ordered by a court, because the religion calls for burial as quickly as possible. It's unclear whether Bhutto's circumstances would have warranted an exception.

According to the reporters, "the scene of the attack also was watered down with a high-pressure hose within an hour, washing away evidence."

Shah, who reported from the scene Thursday, wrote in a second piece that police rangers charged with protecting her "abandoned their posts" shortly before the bombing, leaving just a handful of Bhutto's own bodyguards protecting her.

"Police officers had frisked the 3,000 to 4,000 people attending Thursday's rally when they entered the park, but as the speakers from Bhutto's Pakistan People's Party droned on, the police abandoned many of their posts," Shah wrote. "As she drove out through the gate, her main protection appeared to be her own bodyguards, who wore their usual white T-shirts inscribed: 'Willing to die for Benazir.'"

Some of Bhutto's supporters were suspect of the "sunroof theory."

A "senior official" of Bhutto's Pakistan People's Party called the claim "false," saying he'd seen at least two bullet marks on her body after the attack.

"It was a targeted, planned killing," BPP's Babar Awan said. "The firing was from more than one side."

Another newspaper also asserted witnesses saw her shot.
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#93
Posted: 12/29/07 at 3:40pm
I love that Bhutto's spokeswoman has a name like a wine store.

===

Bhutto's spokeswoman Sherry Rehman, who was in the vehicle that rushed her boss to the hospital, disputed that.

"She was bleeding profusely, as she had received a bullet wound in her neck. My car was full of blood. Three doctors at the hospital told us that she had received bullet wounds. I was among the people who gave her a final bath. We saw a bullet wound in the back of her neck," she said. "What the government is saying is actually dangerous and nonsensical. They are pouring salt on our wounds. There are no findings, they are just lying."

Cheema stood by the government's version of events, and said Bhutto's party was free to exhume her body for an autopsy.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#94
Posted: 12/29/07 at 3:53pm
then exhume the body and let's see this for ourselves.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#95
Posted: 12/29/07 at 4:16pm
I can't find any other statement that the husband disallowed the autopsy, other than your AP reference. It seems to be that it can only happen with a court order, otherwise the Muslim law about speedy burial takes precedence.

Also, this: "Under Islamic teaching, exhuming bodies is generally prohibited. It is allowed on a case-by-case basis, sometimes after a fatwa, or edict, from a senior cleric allowing it to proceed."
pab Profile Photopab Profile Photo
pab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#96
Posted: 12/29/07 at 4:55pm
"A senior official of Benazir Bhutto's Pakistan People's Party (PPP) told TIME late Saturday that the slain former prime minister's 19-year-old son, Bilawal, will likely be named as her political heir and the new party leader on Sunday. PPP members are due to meet to discuss the party's future and to give Bilawal, a student at Oxford, a chance to read his mother's last will and testament."
A Bhutto Successor?
"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#97
Posted: 12/29/07 at 5:04pm
benazir bhutto assassinated
Bilawal Bhutto, 19-year-old son of Benazir Bhutto, and Asif Zardari, Bhutto's husband stand over the grave of the former Pakistani opposition leader after her burial inside the family mausoleum on the family estate, on December 28, 2007.
nygrl23 Profile Photonygrl23 Profile Photo
nygrl23
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
benazir bhutto assassinated#98
Posted: 12/29/07 at 5:31pm
I wondered what kind of post-Christmas international crisis was going to emerge this year.

I heard the news and I'm very upset, and not surprised--these cowards just keep on cowarding.
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#99
Posted: 12/29/07 at 10:35pm
benazir bhutto assassinated
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
benazir bhutto assassinated#100