Is it wrong to vote for Hillary because she's a woman?

MrMidwest Profile PhotoMrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Let's say there's a person who feels that it's time to have a woman President or there's a woman who would feel more comfortable voting for a woman because that person feels she would cater better to women's issues. Do you think there's anything wrong with either (or both) of those things being important factors in a person's decision to vote for Hillary? I've seen a few arguments concerning this topic on the net and I was curious about what people here thought about it.
"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter
Updated On: 12/26/07 at 11:04 AM
iHeartMyGeek Profile PhotoiHeartMyGeek Profile Photo
iHeartMyGeek
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I do think there's something wrong with both of those rationalizations. In fact, that would be the same as voting for a male president because he's male. It doesn't matter the gender, race, sexual orientation or religion of a President, unless those things are going to definitely affect the way they lead our nation. What matters is that person's stance on the issues and their policies. I'm certainly not planning on voting for Hillary just because she's a woman.

Edited because my last sentence looked like I was saying I wouldn't vote for her BECASE she's a woman.
"I can't figure out what kind of life this is, comedy or tragedy, I just know it's showbiz. And what if I don't agree with the lines I have to read? They don't pay me enough, the way I see it."
Updated On: 12/26/07 at 11:06 AM
Broadway Bound2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I don't see anything wrong with voting for her, but there are so many more issues out there other than just being sensitive to womans rights. I wouldn't place my vote on someone for that one sole purpose, whoever it is.
JohnBoy2 Profile PhotoJohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
colleen_lee Profile Photocolleen_lee Profile Photo
colleen_lee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You vote for the person that you think will best represent you. Your ideals, visions, and voice. For some, that may mean voting for a woman because she is a woman. For others that means voting for a Christian, a person of color, or a gay man in order to see themselves being represented in government.

I personally can't vote on those facts alone. As much as I want to see a woman in the White House (and I do), I cannot in good conscience support Hillary.
"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
god, colleen! when are you going to forgive her for groping you?

it's wrong to vote for hillary period. the why is neither here nor there.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Chloe Profile PhotoChloe Profile Photo
Chloe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What about those who are going to vote against her because she's a woman?
iHeartMyGeek
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well, Chloe, their idiocy is beyond being reached. They're going to continue to be idiots for the rest of their lives. There's nothing we can do about that.
"I can't figure out what kind of life this is, comedy or tragedy, I just know it's showbiz. And what if I don't agree with the lines I have to read? They don't pay me enough, the way I see it."
tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm way confused.
I thought Hillary had a penis.
....but the world goes 'round
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
she does, but it's in a jar on her mantle suspended in formaldehyde, taz.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
mominator Profile Photomominator Profile Photo
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
No taz, you are thinking of Ann Coulter
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien
mc1227 Profile Photomc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There is no right or wrong vote. Not voting is wrong, period. The rest of it is up to your own personal convictions. Since people died to give us the right to vote, it is imperative that we take advantage of that right, even when this country seems like its headed straight for the toilet.

In this election, there's going to be people that vote for and against Hillary because she's a woman and people who vote for and against Barack because he's black. Which may leave the door open for someone else, perhaps Edwards, since he's the traditional white male candidate. On the GOP side, there is less jockeying since they are all white males. The biggest controversy there is Rudi and his affairs and Italian last name. Interesting to see how America will react for change. A woman, a black, an Italian or none of the above???
The only review of a show that matters is your own.
iHeartMyGeek
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Don't forget the Mormon and the old guy.
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
which old guy?
iHeartMyGeek
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
McCain. McCain is old. No one notices it that much but the 24-hour news networks bring it up every once in awhile on slow news days.
RadiGal2 Profile PhotoRadiGal2 Profile Photo
RadiGal2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Someone gave me a Hillary Clinton nutcracker for Christmas.
When the Dems were interviewing me and I said don't worry so much about McCain, Romney and Guilani in Arizona but worry a lot about Huckabee and Paul down here -- they scoffed -- but take a look at our state polls..disturbingly I think Paul might pull a massive upset here. When Progressive Dems heard immigration as the #1 issue instead of Iraq they laughed -- state polls suggest in double digit numbers that is the ONLY issue they will be voting on. When the Clinton campaign called me in -- I chuckled and said what's the point she won't be a factor by the time Arizona votes... and hung up because it's a waste opf time.

it's no wonder that I was unemployed for 7 months this year because as a political strategist people want the party line not the truth. There is no way this country elects a woman and certainly not the ball crusher that Clinton is -- ironically enough she would have been an afterthought long before now if she wasn't... still....as I've been saying for over a year now... I will sell my children to white slavers if Hillary Clinton wins the Party nomination.

"I'm a one-eyed Mormon Democrat from conservative Arizona, and you can't have a higher handicap than that." ~The ever-great and fabulous Morris K. Udall.
Updated On: 12/26/07 at 09:26 PM
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
rad, i strongly urge you to re-consider yer hyperbole there. she's gonna win. the nomination that is.

the breck girl was banging an ann coulter look-alike while his wife was getting chemo and the powers that be know it.

osama (aside from being a hussein) is black.

the rest are also rans. gore won't do hop in because after 8 years together she can sink him without even breaking a sweat and he knows it.

hell she whipped out osama's jr. high "what i want to be when i grow up" essay already. if she's got that, what else does she have?

in an imperfect season, she's the least damaged you've got.

president huckabee.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

dramaparoxysm23 Profile Photodramaparoxysm23 Profile Photo
dramaparoxysm23
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yes, and it's also wrong to NOT vote for her just because she's a woman.

I actually work with a girl who won't vote for her "because she has a vagina". That's her only reasoning.

I mean, I'm not voting for Hillary, but it's not because she's a woman.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I remember days
Or at least I try
But as years go by
They're sort of haze
And the bluest ink
Isn't really sky
And at times I think
I would gladly die
For a day of sky

And Starbucks will use the words 'large' and 'small', not pretentious crap like grande and tall.
"You could get away with anything if you call it art and tell people who don't like it that it's cutting edge culture." --vmlinnie
RadiGal2 Profile PhotoRadiGal2 Profile Photo
RadiGal2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You've made some solid points papa....but may I counter with this lil tidbit... a black man has always been first. Not sure of Obama is the one or not -- and besides I personally would put my money on the bottom tier...my best guess is Bill Richardson. We'll see.

And remember I called Huck the dark horse to watch on this board long before national pundits knew his name.
"I'm a one-eyed Mormon Democrat from conservative Arizona, and you can't have a higher handicap than that." ~The ever-great and fabulous Morris K. Udall.
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
papa, you know deep down that the GOP will never let huckabee get the nomination. He's unelectable.
Roninjoey Profile PhotoRoninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'd love to see Huckabee go up against Barack... Barack would floor him.
yr ronin,
joey
broadwaytourist
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
My question to Colleen Lee is why is it an issue of "good conscience" that is keeping you from voting for Ms. Clinton? That makes it sound like a moral or "values" issue to you. Is it? I've had another person tell me she couldn't vote for Hillary because she was a crook. What is that all about? Thanks to Ken Starr, she is probably the most thoroughly investigated person in the US to not have an indictment result. Just wondering. The next qustion is - if she gets the nomination, are you going to vote Republican because you can't in good conscience vote for her?

I too have some issues with her, and I'm disappointed to say that. Her pro-war votes really bother me. Her stance on same sex marriage bothers me. I wish she'd go all out. I'm somewhat concerned with her ties to big business. But I do think her being a woman is a big advantage for me. For the first time in history, I'll be able to vote for someone who is like me - an educated, working mother who has raised a decent human being. A person's life experience always colors who they are, and none of the other candidates in the field have her life experience. So, her being a woman is a huge draw for me. I wouldn't vote for just any woman- wouldn't have voted for Elizabeth Dole - don't do Republicans. But I may vote for Hillary and be proud that in my lifetime, our country has the opportunity to move forward.

Thanks for allowing me this soapbox. I live in very conservative area where Huckabee will probably take the day. So, getting to talk reasonably about Hillary is a breath of fresh air.
mc1227 Profile Photomc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
If there is one thing that Hillary stands for, it's Hillary. And that's not a bad thing. Women in this country have had to do everything twice as good and work twice as hard just to be considered semi-equal in a man's world. No, I'm not a die hard feminist at all. But, if Hillary has ties to big business, voted yes for a war that most legislators voted yes on as well, she knows there is a compromise on all issues in the world of politics. That's how it's done and that's how it will always be done. Man or woman, the best candidate for that position is someone who knows how to put the priorities in order and get them done.

We are all inspired by the old, "we need change", etc. etc. The bottom line is in order for that change to take place, there needs to be compromising with big business. Nothing in this country gets done without that. To think otherwise is naive.
The only review of a show that matters is your own.
EponineAmneris Profile PhotoEponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It's not wrong to vote for Hillary because she's a woman. I'm ready for a woman president, just not her.

It's wrong to vote for Hillary if you don't want to vote for her because you don't think she'd be the best next leader of the free world.

It's wrong to vote for Hillary to spite another candidate.
"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS
EponineAmneris Profile PhotoEponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Personally I'm not thrilled with any candidates as of now.
"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS
Updated On: 12/27/07 at 09:46 AM