Page: 1

Hudson, Latifah, Keys, Fanning Join "Bees"

somethingwicked Profile Photosomethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hudson, Latifah, Keys, Fanning Join "Bees"#1
Posted: 12/20/07 at 7:43pm
"Movie musical stars Queen Latifah and Jennifer Hudson have been cast in the forthcoming film adaptation of "The Secret Life of Bees," according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Hudson, Latifah and Sophie Okonedo ("Tsunami, The Aftermath," "Hotel Rwanda") have been announced to co-star in the new feature written and directed by Gina Prince Bythewood ("Love & Basketball").

Filming will begin in January in North Carolina for a release, by Fox Searchlight, later in 2008. The trade publication also notes Dakota Fanning ("War of the Worlds") and Alicia Keys ("Smokin' Aces") are in negotiations to appear.

Based on the Sue Monk Kidd 2002 novel of the same title, "Bees" follows the tale of a young girl (Fanning) who runs away with her friend/caregiver (Hudson) and comes upon a trio of sisters (Latifah, Okonedo, Keys), who take them in. The 1964-set coming-of-age drama will also feature Tristan Wilds ("The Wire")..."

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/113710.html
Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 12/21/07 at 07:43 PM
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That's a hell of a cast for one film!

And I'm glad to see that Hudson (so far) seems to be choosing interesting, well-thought-out projects. She's got good instincts or a good manager or both.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I enjoyed this book, but it's a challenge -- potentially a too-precious, too-slight a film, as its structure relies on character behavior, setting, mood more than emotional incident. BEES' plot is mostly in the set up, in the establishment of its premise. It will need special handling -- a top-notch script and direction -- to have the necessary momentum. The cast suggests a wonderful script must have been written. I am surprised by Fanning in the central role, but realize she's getting older. She's probably ideal.

In a way, the material is akin to the work of Ann Tyler -- a novelist hard to adapt. Yet Kasden's ACCIDENTAL TOURIST was one of the single best adaptations of contemporary fiction, to my thinking. The TOURIST and BEES stories are not remotely the same, but the eccentric character focus in lieu of plotting makes them a specific genre. I would hope BEES would have a similar translation, very era and locale-specific.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 12/21/07 at 09:18 AM
soapguy17 Profile Photosoapguy17 Profile Photo
soapguy17
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
When I saw that this book was being made into a movie I gasped. When I saw that Queen Latifah was in it, I began to jump up and down. When I realized the Jennifer Hudson was in it too went into a coma from the sheer awesomeness of it all. Needless to say I can't wait.

Auggie, you're scaring me. I've not come to terms with the fact that this movie is going to be anything, but awesomeness.
I have NEVER met Cheyenne Jackson. I have never hung out with him in his dressing room, he did not tweet me, he never bought me a beverage, and he mostly certainly didn't tickle me. . .that is all.
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm not hanging crepe, just noting it's not BOURNE IDENTITY. Character stories are hard to adapt to film. And some beloved books that focus on milieu and mood more than plotting -- MIDNIGHT IN GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL -- have been destroyed. (And actually that had a murder story underneath, and still failed to move.) Try sitting through what the otherwise gifted Mr. Eastwood did to THAT. It's as if he adapted the Cliff Notes.
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I may be the only one who liked Eastwood's film of "Good and Evil" better than the (endlessly boring) book. It was WAY too much character analysis for me. I wasn't amused or entertained.

But that's for another thread.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Step outside, best12, and we'll take on MIDNIGHT.
somethingwicked Profile Photosomethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
bump.
Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
scott68 Profile Photoscott68 Profile Photo
scott68
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Don't get me wrong, I love Dakota Fanning, but do we really not have any other little girls to play the stock "precocious and/or strange and/or troubled child" role?

Glad to see Sophie Okonedo getting work, though, she was fantastic in Hotel Rwanda, and she's not an easy person to cast.
"Why, I make more money than... than... than Calvin Coolidge! PUT TOGETHER!"
~Lina Lamont

My name wasn't, isn't, and will never be Scott.
nitsua Profile Photonitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I love MIDNIGHT. I also haven't seen it in a few years, so my tastes have probably changed.

I can't wait to see me some J Hud on the big screen again.
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
uncageg Profile Photouncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I am not a big Dakota Fanning fan. She just tends to annoy me. But this movie looks interesting and I will see it, especially for Latifah and Hudson.
Just give the world Love.
_LaLuna Profile Photo_LaLuna Profile Photo
_LaLuna
Stand-by
Stand-by
Don't get me wrong, I love Dakota Fanning, but do we really not have any other little girls to play the stock "precocious and/or strange and/or troubled child" role?
I agree Scott... I kind of expected her to be cast, but kind of hoped she wouldn't be. Is she really the only talented, blonde, young teenager available?

I've never before cared so much about how a film adaptation turns out, but TSLoB is my favorite book. I think this is only perhaps the second or third time that I know a book being made into a movie well enough to notice any tiny mistakes they could make. As someone who's read it multiple times, so much so that my copy is torn & tattered, I'm a bit nervous for it. Nervous, but very excited.

I like all those who've been cast, from what I know of them (though I want to know which actress will play which sister, though I can imagine), but part of me would rather a cast of fresh faces. As I stated before, I'm especially dissappointed at the predictable-ness of Fanning as Lily, but oh well. I must remind myself to give it a chance. It could be amazing.