Golden Globes and Oscars... Will they even happen?

best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well, sure, they'll hand out the awards... somehow, somewhere.

But maybe not on TV and not with guild writers at either show... and now, not even with clips from the movies.

The WGA has refused a waiver request from the Hollywood Foreign Press that would allow for guild writers to work on the show. The Academy didn't even ask for the waiver out of respect, but turned in its usual request to all guilds for clip clearance... and was denied by the WGA.

No funny jokes... no clips from the nominated films... and most likely no John Stewart as host of the Oscars.
CNN Link
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
mattonstage Profile Photomattonstage Profile Photo
mattonstage
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
And yet, somehow, the Oscars will still be 4 1/2 hours long!
I killed the boss, you don't think they're gonna fire me over a thing like that!!!!
StageManager2 Profile PhotoStageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I may be in the minority, but I don't mind long Oscar telecasts. It's the acceptance speeches I can't stand.
Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Their only hope is a non-writer who will host and write all their own material. Ellen?

It will get interesting if the writers picket and ask all other unions to not cross the picket line. Who would attend?
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Some show biz folk are also saying they won't cross the picket line.

"And the nominees are... not here."
doodlenyc Profile Photodoodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Seriously, b12b, there are NEVER funny jokes.
"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

SonofMammaMiaSam Profile PhotoSonofMammaMiaSam Profile Photo
SonofMammaMiaSam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think that an untelevised luncheon at the Beverly Wilshire would be divine. And, make the women wear gloves and hats.
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
...and nothing else.
SonofMammaMiaSam Profile PhotoSonofMammaMiaSam Profile Photo
SonofMammaMiaSam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Fur wraps are acceptable.
nmartin Profile Photonmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I will not miss Johnny Depp winning an Oscar. Even if it means I have to crash the Beverly Wilshire....in hat and gloves.
mattonstage Profile Photomattonstage Profile Photo
mattonstage
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Maybe they can do it like the Emmys when the actors were on strike. Ryan Seacrest and Ed McMahon can host and present all the awards. And Powers Boothe can be the only actor present to accept and award. Ryan is of course standing in for Dick Clark.
I killed the boss, you don't think they're gonna fire me over a thing like that!!!!
nmartin Profile Photonmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mattonstage, I thought about the same thing. Powers Boothe and the Jim Jones tv-movie.
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm hoping they just get Cirque du Soleil to do the whole thing.

"O-SKAAR"

And the award goes to...

SIDEWAYS!

re: Golden Globes and Oscars... Will they even happen?

HAIRSPRAY!

re: Golden Globes and Oscars... Will they even happen?
Rosalind Profile PhotoRosalind Profile Photo
Rosalind
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Jon might be able to use some of his own recycle material, but I think a lot of actors will be boycotting it. From what I've read though, they have some serious plans in the works and it wont be a complete disaster. But they can't show clips from ANYTHING, and a lot of people wont be there.

It'll be a tad dismal.
"Just remembering you've had an 'and' when you're back to 'or' Makes the or mean more, than it did before..."
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Besty I just saw on tv that they may not even televise it (whatever IT turns out to be) at all.
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
CapnHook Profile PhotoCapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I, too, don't mind the long telecasts. I love every aspect of the Oscars as to what they are...

It's the CONTENT that can be awful. A horrible host can kill the show, but if we have a good host then people generally don't mind the lengthy show.

I love all of the "entertainment" segments within the show, ESPECIALLY Billy Crystal's intro video with him edited into the nominated films.
"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
They should just go back to having a banquet at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel, this year. Just like the very first Academy Awards.

They had a nice dinner... and gave out the trophies in five minutes.
mateo Profile Photomateo Profile Photo
mateo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Were you there in '29?
"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Of course.

The shrimp cocktail sucked.

And Emile Jannings was a no-show.
mateo Profile Photomateo Profile Photo
mateo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What a dick
"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"
jacobtsf Profile Photojacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Rosalind- Unless I've misread everything Jon Stewart is a member of the WGA and is behind his union 100%.
David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel
ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photoray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I was looking forward to Jon Stewart's hosting again. He has been my favorite by far. Ellen was way too vanilla and silly to keep me entertained for all 5 hours last year.
I do love me all award ceremonies concerning film/TV though. That's something I look forward to yearly. I was all about the WGA's strike until they messed with my award ceremonies re: Golden Globes and Oscars... Will they even happen?
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I don't know how much it matters what the general public thinks about the WGA strike, but "the masses" are gonna be pissed if the ceremony is canceled this year. It's a billion-strong worldwide annual audience. And most don't have any idea why the writers are striking. In their eyes, they already have fancy houses, cars, pools, etc. So shut the hell up!

If the producers were smart (and I'm not even supporting them!), they would just let this one play out and remain passive about the WGA decision.

I'm sure the Academy is scrambling, trying to figure out what to do. This is their big money maker each year... plus it's a huge money maker for the network. Loss of some serious ad dollars if the ceremony is canceled or cut way down.
nitsua Profile Photonitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is there any chance of the writers coming to an agreement before the ceremonies?

Only 10% of the writers, if that, make enough to do it full time.
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hey, this was posted on the Academy's site earlier today:

http://www.oscars.org/80academyawards/wga_announcement.html

Looks like they'll have some kind of show, regardless.

And it says they will still show clips, but I'm guessing they'll be silent, or music only, or something like that.

"This decision affects only the conditions under which we may use such material, not our ability to do so."

And it reiterates that they never asked the WGA for a waiver to use union writers.

But the Golden Globes did. And the request was denied.

The strike MIGHT be over by February 24th... but there's no guarantee. And they have to make their production plans now.

I vote for silent hand puppets!