NY Subway question

SweetQintheLights
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
NY Subway question#1
Posted: 12/14/07 at 12:41pm
I tried looking at the website but it's quite confusing.

Can someone tell me what subway train I would take from Penn Station (34th?) to 47th Street (Brooks Atkinson theatre)

I realize the subway doesn't stop at every street so what street would be the best street for for to get off?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions of somewhat inexpensive restaurants between 42nd and 47th?

I appreciate any and all information. NY Subway question

Thank you.

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178
Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: NY Subway question#2
Posted: 12/14/07 at 12:42pm
The C and E should take you to 50th.
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
madbrian Profile Photomadbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: NY Subway question#2
Posted: 12/14/07 at 12:45pm
It's only 13 blocks, so it would probably be quicker to walk.
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
luvtheEmcee Profile PhotoluvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: NY Subway question#3
Posted: 12/14/07 at 12:46pm
You can also take the 1 uptown to 50th.

If you're visiting and you're not familiar with the subway system, you should probably have a map handy.
A work of art is an invitation to love.
SweetQintheLights
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: NY Subway question#4
Posted: 12/14/07 at 12:49pm
I do go to NYC as often as I can but it's only 3-4 times a year so I'm not very familiar with the subway system. I usually walk but I get so cold easily (since the last 5 years I've lived in S. Florida).

I will probably pick up a map Penn Station. Hopefully I'll be able to read it correctly!

What is the difference between the C, E, and 1?

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178
luvtheEmcee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: NY Subway question#5
Posted: 12/14/07 at 12:52pm
They take different routes throughout the city -- their 50th Street stops aren't at exactly the same location, but they are about the same distance from the Atkinson, so it really doesn't matter which one you take.
misschung Profile Photomisschung Profile Photo
misschung
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: NY Subway question#6
Posted: 12/14/07 at 12:55pm
The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?
JustAGuy Profile PhotoJustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: NY Subway question#7
Posted: 12/14/07 at 12:56pm
The 1 runs on 7th Avenue/B'way, the 50th street stop will let you out near the Winter Garden Theatre.

The C & E run on 8th Avenue, the 50th street stop will let you out near New World Stages.

"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett
Updated On: 12/14/07 at 12:56 PM
SweetQintheLights
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: NY Subway question#8
Posted: 12/14/07 at 12:57pm
Oh, ok, thanks!

I can get the subway from inside Penn Station without going outside, right?

So, if I take the 1 train, I may end up where I'd have to turn left to get to the theatre as opposed to if I took the C train, I may have to turn right to go to the theatre?
Calvin Profile PhotoCalvin Profile Photo
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: NY Subway question#9
Posted: 12/14/07 at 12:58pm
Yes, you can get to either line directly inside Penn Station. Just follow the signs.
luvtheEmcee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: NY Subway question#10
Posted: 12/14/07 at 12:58pm
Yeah. Just follow the signs.

And yes -- the 1 stops at 50th and Broadway, so you'd walk to 47th and turn right. The C/E stops at 50th and 8th (I think?) so you'd walk to 47th and turn left. But you'll see it.
Updated On: 12/14/07 at 12:58 PM
SweetQintheLights
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: NY Subway question#11
Posted: 12/14/07 at 1:02pm
Whoa, you people are good!!

Thank you!

And any restaurant suggestions nearby??
thetinymagic2 Profile Photothetinymagic2 Profile Photo
thetinymagic2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: NY Subway question#12
Posted: 12/14/07 at 2:56pm
Restaurant suggestions: No overpriced tourist traps, please!

Walk 1 block west to Ninth Avenue, and you'll find tons of reasonable, nice places, from 38th st - 56th st.

Southwest 44 - comfy, nice Italian, nice Martini Bar in the back. Speak to Anna, the proprietor. (44th and Ninth) The eggplant rollatini is delish!

Rachel's - American. (43rd and Ninth)

Yum Yum Bangkok - Thai. Neighborhood fave. (46th and Ninth)
2 places, side by side.

Hourglass Tavern - adorable, tiny American. Sit upstairs. Good 3 course specials daily. (46th St. near Ninth)

Hell's Kitchen - excellent new Southwestern. (47 and Ninth)

(Lots of new Japanese/Thai/French Fusion places - forgot their names in the same area)

Steer clear of
Carmines, Olive Gargen, McDonald's, etc. Crowded, not good, overpriced, not New Yorky.

Good Luck.

SweetQintheLights
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: NY Subway question#13
Posted: 12/14/07 at 3:16pm
thanks thetinymagic!

I'm gonna have my aunt look at the menu's for Rachel's and Hourglass Taven. Those sound the best to me!

Thanks re: NY Subway question
mauriposa Profile Photomauriposa Profile Photo
mauriposa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: NY Subway question#14
Posted: 12/14/07 at 3:19pm
Good to know, tinymagic. My boss was recently telling me that I just *have* to go to Carmine's the next time I'm in the city.
thetinymagic2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: NY Subway question#15
Posted: 12/14/07 at 3:44pm
Look, lots of tourists RAVE about Carmine's..I just don't get it, unless being in a huge, noisy joint is your thing. I guess if you have a big crowd that likes overly HUGE portions, it could be fun. Personally, being a native, I prefer to suggest smaller not so well known places, because this neighborhood is highly gentrified now. Loads of good, smaller places.
wexy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: NY Subway question#16
Posted: 12/14/07 at 3:54pm
Just check out the Taste of the subway choices for 50th and 8th

http://idlewords.com/taste_of_subway/taste_of_c_train.htm
'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'
thetinymagic2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: NY Subway question#17
Posted: 12/14/07 at 8:44pm
Interesting site, however, most of these places are extremely mediocre, except for (IMHO)

THALIA (beautiful room and good food) Excellent prix fixe dinners.
(The brunch here is fantastic. Get the frittata)
BALDORIA (nice, but VERY pricey) Steaks and Italian.
TOUT VA BIEN (old, nice French)
addendum to my previous post:
Avoid Rachels - not as good as it used to be, coffee 3.00
Add to list: DON GIOVANNI (44th and Ninth), Casual ,
friendly pizza, pasta, italian place.

Found a really nice wine today, accidentally, in the local vino store:
Rosemount Shiraz 2005 (only $10.00 ) MMmmmmm!!

SweetQintheLights
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: NY Subway question#18
Posted: 12/14/07 at 9:27pm
Has anyone heard about Joshua Tree on 46th street? The menu looks good and the prices look fair.

Has anyone been there? Does it get crowded around 5:30?
thetinymagic2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: NY Subway question#19
Posted: 12/14/07 at 9:51pm
Haven't been there in awhile, if it's the one on 46th st. It's a nice Irish neighborhood pub, haven't had the food, however, I'm suddenly reminded of LANGAN's (also an Irish pub/restaurant on 47th around the corner from Legally Blonde. Many actors from Bway shows hang out here, and it's got good food and drinks. Definitely go there! Everything everywhere is going to be crowded at that time. (5:30). Reservations (for before or after the theater) are a must.
Try not to get too bogged down on restaurant suggestions...there's literally thousands of places. Sometimes found just by talking to people on the street. Fun!
hermionejuliet Profile Photohermionejuliet Profile Photo
hermionejuliet
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: NY Subway question#20
Posted: 12/14/07 at 11:57pm
I fell for the whole Carmine's thing a couple of trips ago. Big deal - the food is overpriced- even if they are large portions. And it definitely wasn't the best Italian food either. The service was horrible, too. Our waitress never came for our money!
So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?
Absinthe Profile PhotoAbsinthe Profile Photo
Absinthe
Understudy
Understudy
re: NY Subway question#21
Posted: 12/14/07 at 11:59pm
There is much to enjoy.
"Let me be mad... mad with the madness of Absinthe, the wildest, most luxurious madness in the world."
thetinymagic2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: NY Subway question#22
Posted: 12/15/07 at 12:18am
Yes, I live right down the block from this place and work in the theater, and Carmine's always looks like such a zoo - or a sardine can-like subway train...although I have to admit, if one lives out on a farm in the middle of nowhere, and comes here to visit , it likely would be very "exciting". (Not meant to be a put down). It's location is the "center of the universe" for many. Times Square. If you don't sit in the front (overlooking Shubert Alley), fuggedaboudit!
BdwyOpal
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: NY Subway question#23
Posted: 12/15/07 at 2:54am
Vynl is also inexpensive. Its on 9th Ave between 50th and 51st (close to the corner of 51st).
LaurenB
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: NY Subway question#24
Posted: 12/15/07 at 5:41pm
Agree with the comments about Carmine's.

Another place for a light meal is the Playwright Tavern, 8th Ave. between 45th and 46th.

If coming into Penn Station, I would probably just walk up 8th Ave.
Playwright Tavern Act II