New Jersey lawmakers vote to abolish death penalty

jacobtsf Profile Photojacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
FROM CNN

New Jersey lawmakers have voted to abolish the death penalty in the state, sending the governor a bill he has already said he will sign. The measure will make New Jersey the first state in more than 40 years to outlaw capital punishment.

The bill will make life in prison the most severe penalty for convicted murderers in the state, including the eight men currently on the state's death row. New Jersey has not put anyone to death since 1963, according to the Death Penalty Information Center.

Some Republicans had argued police killers and terrorists should still be eligible for execution, but Democrats, who control both houses, backed the change.

"This vote marks a new chapter in our nation's 30-year experiment with capital punishment," said Richard Dieter, executive director of the Death Penalty Information Center, which opposes executions.

"New Jersey lawmakers are demonstrating sound judgment in abandoning capital punishment after learning of its costs, the pain it causes victims' families, and the risks the death penalty poses to innocent lives."

The Supreme Court reinstated the death penalty in 1976, and nearly 1,100 people have since been put to death. Capital punishment is used by 37 states, most using lethal injection of chemicals. Electrocution, the gas chamber, hanging, and the firing squad are still on the books in some states.

The most recent execution in the United States took place September 25 in Texas.

The last state to ban the death penalty were West Virginia and Iowa in 1965
Full Article Here
David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
that should help their skyrocketing murder and violent crime rate. while the crime rate of the rest of the country sinks, good ol' nj gets more and more dangerous every year. surely this will turn that around!
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
jacobtsf
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Please, even if the state kept the death penalty they still wouldn't kill anybody, for (the very real) fear of killing an innocent man. There is a reason the number of executions (and more importantly, the number of sentencings) has gone down tremendously these past few years.
David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
the country should model texas. they kill 'em quick down there.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
jacobtsf
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The number of executions in Texas has gone down a Texas-sized percent since our fool of a president was their governor.

He is just like his VP, a trigger-happy idiot.
Updated On: 12/13/07 at 08:38 PM
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
that's a lie. they averaged 25.667 a year while he was governor and since then they've averaged 24.833. a whopping difference, huh?

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

jacobtsf
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
ok, my source was wrong on that issue (i've been doing some research in the last half hour), I am sorry. That said, nation-wide the numbers have dropped, and that is what is important.
DayDreamer Profile PhotoDayDreamer Profile Photo
DayDreamer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Highest 5:

2000 - 40 executions (under Bush)
1997 - 37 executions (under Bush)
1999 - 35 executions (under Bush)
2002 - 33 executions
2007 - 26 executions

Just sayin' ...
Texas Executions by Year
Celebrate Life

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. - Randy Pausch

jacobtsf
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Day- I was looking there, but the averages do go along papa's results.
DayDreamer Profile PhotoDayDreamer Profile Photo
DayDreamer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Not arguing over the average - which includes 8 years with single digit executions.
Celebrate Life

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. - Randy Pausch

papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
sad that they let any of them live.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

jacobtsf
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
no, it is sad that some of the ones that died were innocent and that we are just now realizing it.

"ummmm, ooops. I'm sorry, but we killed your husband/father/son/mother/daughter/sister/whatever for no reason at all."
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
oh please, at a rate of barely killing one every two weeks? i could see if they were whacking maybe 3 or four a week (and i can dream of a time when they are killing more than one a day everyday).

now then, who are the innocent persons who've been executed in texas in the last 15 years?

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

jacobtsf
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
here are some, not just from Texas. Of course, because they are DEAD, these cases were not put before a court and the people were not declared innocent, but most believe that they are.

Carlos DeLuna Texas Conviction: 1983, Executed: 1989

Ruben Cantu Texas Convicted: 1985, Executed: 1993

Larry Griffin Missouri Conviction: 1981, Executed: 1995

Joseph O'Dell Virginia Conviction: 1986, Executed: 1997

David Spence Texas Conviction: 1984, Executed: 1997

Leo Jones Florida Convicted: 1981, Executed: 1998

Gary Graham Texas Convicted: 1981, Executed: 2000

Cameron Willingham Texas Convicted: 1992, Executed: 2004

and, according to the Innocence Project ( http://www.innocenceproject.org ) Fifteen people had been sentenced to death before DNA proved their innocence and led to their release.
jacobtsf
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
wait so you just think they are innocent? i think you're guilty of treason and ought to be shot, but my thinking it's so don't make it so, does it?

kill more, kill often, kill randomly.

i think that a certain number if people every year who are convicted of a violent crime should be summarily executed regardless of the penalty. see that way, criminals would just never know if that conviction was the one that was going to get them killed. and no more of this lethal injection stuff. fry 'em in the electric chair on national television and make sure it's on a dimmer switch so they can play with the voltage depending on the heinousness of the crime: the worse the crime the longer they suffer. and make sure that the cameras catch everything, the criminals losing their sh*t, the smoke, the screaming, every bit in high def.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I love yoru idea pappa,

With your logic we might as well kill everyone who does the most harmelss of crimes. Lets say a parking ticket for example.

We have ways to figure out if someone committed the crime or not and if they deserve to die. Personally I think that the death penality doesn't do anything to anyone.

It is sad that the jails refuse to wait to see if someone s innocent or not before they fry them.

The death penality in the way your suggesting it aught to be in place is not going to teach the criminals anything. Most of them don't really care if they die or not. And the ones that do care aren't the kind of people who take a good look at whats around them before pressing on with another one of thier crimes.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
wink
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Life in prison seems worse to me than a lethal injection.
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Please, even if the state kept the death penalty they still wouldn't kill anybody, for (the very real) fear of killing an innocent man."

And yet 100% of abortions are killing someone innocent but they have no trouble with that.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
AlexanderB Profile PhotoAlexanderB Profile Photo
AlexanderB
Understudy
Understudy
This is great, go Jersey!
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I guess the parents of the victims of the school yard massacre a few months ago are really thrilled about this decision . Hey they are dead already so what does it matter. To bad they did not ban executions long ago as they would be alive today. They were executed in cold blood. They are victims so they count for nothing.
Poster Emeritus
jacobtsf
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"And yet 100% of abortions are killing someone innocent but they have no trouble with that."

A difference might be that everybody does not consider unborn fetuses "living".
Mistress Overdone Profile PhotoMistress Overdone Profile Photo
Mistress Overdone
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Life in prison seems worse to me than a lethal injection.

Life in prison is also cheaper to the taxpayers than executing a prisoner.

Plus there's that whole bit about killing criminals making us no better people than those who committed the crimes.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
summary executions. no appeals. immediate execution of sentence and prisoner. .44 between the eyes.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
So what your saying Papa is that you really don't care that someone MIGHT be innocent before killing them.

In other words we are able to double and triple check crimes before we kill off someone to make sure they actually did. We do this all the time AFTER the fact. But, here is a shockingg idea. Why not do it before they die as well.

The worst that can happen if someone is atually innocent and the court was wrong is that they spend a few days in jail but they are alive.

Many are the times that someone is kiled off and then it turnes out thatt they actually did notthing wrong.

With that in mind I do think that if yu want to have the death penalty no matter how wrong it is. Then at least back it up with some form of logic. Saying "Kill all the F*CKers no matter what." Is no logic at all.

And, as far as saying that there are people who committ murder every day in the form of abortion. I don't think an unborn fetus is life. I do think itt is on the way to becomming something that is a living thing but it isn't yet. I do think that they should be leagle and that the courts shouldn't be playing the role of a woman's doctor.

I don't beieve that if they are totally leagle that women wil be running to get them left and right. I don't think that the clincs would or shoud do something like had out a card with your first abortion and everytime you get one they punch a whole. Buy ten get one free.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll