In Case You Had Any Doubt About the Importance of Christmas

JustAGuy Profile PhotoJustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Here is House Resolution 847 - Introduced by Representative Steve King (R) Iowa.

My personal favorite is #5 - "rejects bigotry and persecution directed against Christians, both in the United States and worldwide;"

RESOLUTION

Recognizing the importance of Christmas and the Christian faith.

Whereas Christmas, a holiday of great significance to Americans and many other cultures and nationalities, is celebrated annually by Christians throughout the United States and the world;

Whereas there are approximately 225,000,000 Christians in the United States, making Christianity the religion of over three-fourths of the American population;

Whereas there are approximately 2,000,000,000 Christians throughout the world, making Christianity the largest religion in the world and the religion of about one-third of the world population;

Whereas Christians identify themselves as those who believe in the salvation from sin offered to them through the sacrifice of their savior, Jesus Christ, the Son of God, and who, out of gratitude for the gift of salvation, commit themselves to living their lives in accordance with the teachings of the Holy Bible;

Whereas Christians and Christianity have contributed greatly to the development of western civilization;

Whereas the United States, being founded as a constitutional republic in the traditions of western civilization, finds much in its history that points observers back to its roots in Christianity;

Whereas on December 25 of each calendar year, American Christians observe Christmas, the holiday celebrating the birth of their savior, Jesus Christ;

Whereas for Christians, Christmas is celebrated as a recognition of God's redemption, mercy, and Grace; and

Whereas many Christians and non-Christians throughout the United States and the rest of the world, celebrate Christmas as a time to serve others: Now, therefore be it

Resolved, That the House of Representatives--

(1) recognizes the Christian faith as one of the great religions of the world;

(2) expresses continued support for Christians in the United States and worldwide;

(3) acknowledges the international religious and historical importance of Christmas and the Christian faith;

(4) acknowledges and supports the role played by Christians and Christianity in the founding of the United States and in the formation of the western civilization;

(5) rejects bigotry and persecution directed against Christians, both in the United States and worldwide; and

(6) expresses its deepest respect to American Christians and Christians throughout the world.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS! errr MERRY CHRISTMAS!

"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett
Updated On: 12/11/07 at 01:17 PM
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
Oh, Jesus Christ.
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
oh christmas tree#3
Posted: 12/11/07 at 1:22pm
now let's see if it gets a vote and what kinda support it gets.

if it doesn't get a vote, it's a clear sign that nancy pelosi and the demon democrats have sold america's soul to the atheist hordes.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
blueroses
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
oh christmas tree#4
Posted: 12/11/07 at 1:33pm
"Whereas on December 25 of each calendar year, American Christians observe Christmas, the holiday celebrating the birth of their savior, Jesus Christ."

Not everyone's savior. That made me want to go out and punch a nun.
JustAGuy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
oh christmas tree#5
Posted: 12/11/07 at 1:34pm
If you're not Christian...you don't count. Simple as that.
"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
oh christmas tree#6
Posted: 12/11/07 at 1:38pm
blue, it clearly says the savior of "american christians" thus not alleging that jesus be a savior for any of you mongrel heathens who make the baby jesus cry.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
oh christmas tree#7
Posted: 12/11/07 at 1:40pm
It's just one of the great religions? What are the others?
Wilhelmina  Profile PhotoWilhelmina  Profile Photo
Wilhelmina
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
oh christmas tree#8
Posted: 12/11/07 at 1:40pm
And then we are surprised on Sunday when someone takes a gun to church. Hmmmmm.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
oh christmas tree#9
Posted: 12/11/07 at 1:43pm
hey, phyl, the mohammedans and the jews are welcome to put up their own resolutions and see if anyone supports them.

how exactly does this relate to gun violence in a church, wil?

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

blueroses
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
oh christmas tree#10
Posted: 12/11/07 at 1:44pm
Phyllis, why does the House of Representatives need to mention ANY religion? What purpose would such a resolution serve?
robbiej Profile Photorobbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
oh christmas tree#11
Posted: 12/11/07 at 1:45pm
Is this REALLY what we want our tax money spent on? Really???
"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."
Wilhelmina  Profile PhotoWilhelmina  Profile Photo
Wilhelmina
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
oh christmas tree#12
Posted: 12/11/07 at 1:46pm
According to CNN today - the kid from Sundays shootings was targeting Christians specifically - just sayin'...
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/11/shooter.youth/index.html
nitsua Profile Photonitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
oh christmas tree#13
Posted: 12/11/07 at 1:46pm
Shouldn't this go against the separation of Church and State?

I don't want to be told I have to serve God if I don't want to.
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
oh christmas tree#14
Posted: 12/11/07 at 1:48pm
It states clearly in the constitution that there shall be NO seperation of church and state.

....but the world goes 'round
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
oh christmas tree#15
Posted: 12/11/07 at 1:50pm
hey, phyl, the mohammedans and the jews are welcome to put up their own resolutions and see if anyone supports them.

I was just surprised that they were even acknowledging other religions. I would like to hear what they think the other "great" ones are.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
oh christmas tree#16
Posted: 12/11/07 at 1:50pm
have any of you looked up some of the ridiculous resolution that get suggested in the house everyday?

this has not even been brought to a vote.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

blueroses
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
oh christmas tree#17
Posted: 12/11/07 at 1:52pm
I'm not a lawyer, but I wonder if there will be any ramifications should it pass. Could it somehow be used to defend a clinic bomber? A hate crime? To impede medical research?
JustAGuy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
oh christmas tree#18
Posted: 12/11/07 at 1:52pm
"this has not even been brought to a vote."

That doesn't make it any less offensive.
Updated On: 12/11/07 at 01:52 PM
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
oh christmas tree#18
Posted: 12/11/07 at 1:56pm
oh, well, they already f*cking did, didn't they?

ramamdan resolution, passed
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c110:1:./temp/~c1104PyXTC::

oh, and that fascist publication religioustolerance.org reports more about the horrid actions of this vile congress:

let's all freak the f*ck out

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

Updated On: 12/11/07 at 01:56 PM
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
oh Winter Solstice Tree#19
Posted: 12/11/07 at 2:48pm
Won't someone stand up for the rights of Secular Humanists?
robbiej Profile Photorobbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
oh Winter Solstice Tree#20
Posted: 12/11/07 at 2:54pm
None of this offends me. I just want to know why my tax money goes to these silly resolutions?

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
oh Winter Solstice Tree#21
Posted: 12/11/07 at 3:18pm
If this actually does get to a vote, we'll be hearing more about the results as the election approaches.
orangeskittles Profile Photoorangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
oh Winter Solstice Tree#22
Posted: 12/11/07 at 3:50pm
Have any of you watched CSPAN lately? The House hears absurd stuff like this on a daily basis. That's why nothing important has been accomplished by Congress in years.
Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
oh christmastree, u commie#23
Posted: 12/11/07 at 4:10pm
designating jul 2007 - national watermelon month
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c110:41:./temp/~c110Y5BNm2::

recognizing the 125th anniversary of payson, az
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c110:13:./temp/~c110hUj9SX::

celebrate national garden month through a curriculum that includes outdoor learning through gardening
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c110:36:./temp/~c110hUj9SX::

designating sept 2007 - national bourbon heritage month
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c110:46:./temp/~c110hUj9SX::

honoring the 2007 nba champion san antonio spurs
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c110:47:./temp/~c110CnKbhc::

congress honors the life of ernest gallo
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c110:227:./temp/~c110CnKbhc::

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

JustAGuy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
oh christmastree, u commie#24
Posted: 12/11/07 at 4:21pm
What? No resolution for Yom Kippur or Rosh Hashana? What gives?