The new Alvin and the Chipmunks movie looks like an abomination

romantico Profile Photoromantico Profile Photo
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I saw the trailer and for the first time in my life I wanted to actually kill something!

They're wearing hip-hop clothes now? WTF?

Hollywood execs: PLEASE quit raping my childhood with these hideous live action adaptations of cartoons. First Garfield, then Underdog, now this.

If this opens at #1 I'll lose all hope for America. Luckily odds are it'll get beaten by I Am Legend (which btw looks awesome and I am really stoked for)

The new Alvin and the Chipmunks movie looks like an abomination

'There are three sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently' -Robert Evans-
Updated On: 12/5/07 at 10:33 AM
Pippin Profile PhotoPippin Profile Photo
Pippin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
agreed.
"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."
madbrian Profile Photomadbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
While I agree with you, I must shamefully confess that my kids are wildly anticipating this movie. I thought I raised them better.
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Were they ever NOT an abomination?
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
robbiej Profile Photorobbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yeah...it's not like the Chipmunks were Chekhov. They were hideous in the day and they're hideous now!

I still laughed at some of the trailer. And almost gave my boyfriend a hummer when he turned to me and said, "Jason Lee looks kinda like you."

All lies...but I'll choose to believe them.
"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."
Wanna Be A Foster Profile PhotoWanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
People out in Nowheresville will see whatever is put out there.

There's nothing else to do.
"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Actually, I predict this will perform poorly. (lotsa P's there!)
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hell, I wanted to do CARTOON Dave when I was only a lad.
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
Wanna Be A Foster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
He was pretty damn hot.
"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
I thought the trailer looked cute. Not cute enough to see in the theater, but I'd catch it on dvd. Then again, I grew up with the early 80s AatC and they were already pretty hacky by then.
Calvin Profile PhotoCalvin Profile Photo
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is there a chipette presence in this film?
mauriposa Profile Photomauriposa Profile Photo
mauriposa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I saw the first trailer for this MONTHS ago and was kind of hoping it had already opened and flopped in the first weekend without anyone taking notice. No such luck.

Maybe I'll go online and find the Chipmunks movie where they fly around the world in the hot air balloon and remember the good times.
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
He was hot???

Never trust a high strung bachelor who plays a bellowing Mama Rose to three rodents.
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
I had an album with the Chipmunks and the Chipettes (that's Brittany, Jeanette and Eleanor for those not in know) that had them singing some of the hits of the times and before, including "Uptown Girl" and "The Gambler." The Chipettes did "It's My Party" ("Nobody knows where my Alvin has gone...")
Wanna Be A Foster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I had that record!

(Yes, record!)
-Kad

Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
As did I -- also a record.

That and the one with Debbie Reynolds singing "Abba Dabba Honeymoon" were my favorites as a tot.
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
I like the middle of "It's My Party," where Brittany does a spoken word plea and then one of the other Chipettes says, "Don't grovel, Brittany!" Every time I hear the real version of the song it throws me to hear Johnny instead of Alvin.

And mine was a record, too.

I also had one called "Urban Chipmunk" which was just surreal when you look at some of the lyrical changes they made.
orangeskittles Profile Photoorangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Phyllis, I remember that record (the cassette, then CD) being advertised on TV. I always begged my parents for it, but they wouldn't get it. Instead, I made do and listened to Billy Joel's Uptown Girl on 45 speed. re: The new Alvin and the Chipmunks movie looks like an abomination
Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 12/5/07 at 11:08 AM
Pippin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I had the country cd, which I loved.

it had some gems like :thank God I'm a Country Boy, Mama, don't let their babies grow up to be chipmunks, I love a rainy night, the gambler, and so on.
"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."
doodlenyc Profile Photodoodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Will Jason be nude in this film, or make out with another dude?

No? No thanks.
"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

robbiej Profile Photorobbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oh, F*CK off, Marys.

I had the Chipmunk Christmas album...on 8 track!!!!
"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Between this and "Underdog," I expect Mr. Lee will be getting one of those Entertainment Weekly career advice features fairly soon.
Pippin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
what's "8-track"?
Updated On: 12/5/07 at 11:13 AM
n69n Profile Photon69n Profile Photo
n69n
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
its my favorite abortion moovay!
i want to make thngs that count
- George, SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
"Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys..."