Page: 1

Carson Daly to become first late night show to defy strike

Pippin Profile PhotoPippin Profile Photo
Pippin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
NEW YORK - NBC's "Last Call with Carson Daly" is about to become the first late-night talk show to defy the writers strike and resume production.

Daly, who is not a member of the Writers Guild, will begin taping new episodes of his Burbank-based show this week for airing next week, an NBC spokesperson confirmed Tuesday.

The half-hour "Last Call" airs at 1:35 a.m. EST weeknights, but whether Daly's first new episode would air next Monday or Tuesday was initially unclear. No guests were disclosed.

A call for comment to the Writers Guild was not immediately returned Tuesday.

Daly is not the first talk-show host to go back into production. Ellen DeGeneres, who is a member of the union, has continued taping her daytime syndicated talk show after shutting down the first day of the strike. But "Last Call" becomes the first to break ranks among the late-night shows, which all had chosen to air repeats rather than tape new shows without their striking writers.

It was unclear what effect, if any, the return of "Last Call" would have on other late-night talk shows, which include NBC's "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" and "Late Night with Conan O'Brien," CBS' "Late Show with David Letterman" and "Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson," and ABC's "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" Comedy Central's late-night news-and-commentary spoofs, "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" and "The Colbert Report" with Stephen Colbert, have also been in reruns.

There was no immediate word on when any of those shows might follow suit and return with new episodes.

On Monday, contract talks with the studios resumed for the first time since movie and TV writers went on strike Nov. 5. The Writers Guild is seeking more money for material distributed over the Internet and cell phones.

does anyone actually watch Carson?
"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
With the episodes I've seen I never got the impression that show was written.
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
blueroses
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I didn't know his show was still on the air!
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
So Carson will be unscripted? Ad-libbing? No cue cards? I find that all but impossible to believe. It will be interesting to see who will defy the picket lines to appear on this show.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
SNL routine with Jimmy Fallon:

"Hi, I'm Carson Daly and I'm a complete tool."
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
JerseyGirl2 Profile PhotoJerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Word has it that both sides are moving in the direction of an agreement. Hopefully it will be over soon anyway.
Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!
JohnBoy2 Profile PhotoJohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Other than the writers, has this strike had any impact on any of you? I've noticed no difference in my life. None.
JerseyGirl2 Profile PhotoJerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well, other than hating the fact that the two shows I watch weekly only have two more episodes, not really. I am a bit obsessed with one (duh), so that bums me out. (Debra Monk was supposed to make an appearance and I don't think she will be now.) It has been interesting to watch the events unfold, though. I feel bad for people who are directly effected and out of work.
Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!
SNAFU Profile PhotoSNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Actually, running a shop that builds costumes and props for television, theatre and film, the strike has pretty much closed down my business! I am screwed on both counts!
Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!
Jon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
If the quality of Carson Daly's opening monologue is any indicator, he'd be better off with no writers at all. The man should not even try to be funny.
SNAFU Profile PhotoSNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I don't think the guy should be on television period! His show is unwatchable! I know he is just drooling for the spot Conan will be leaving next year. I am sure he ain't gonna get it though!
Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!
RadiGal2 Profile PhotoRadiGal2 Profile Photo
RadiGal2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well the strike has sure affecting me -- life without The Daily Show has been bleak-- very, very bleak.
"I'm a one-eyed Mormon Democrat from conservative Arizona, and you can't have a higher handicap than that." ~The ever-great and fabulous Morris K. Udall.