Page: 1

radical tree trimming advice: fewer lights

Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
radical tree trimming advice: fewer lights#1
Posted: 11/25/07 at 6:57pm
Okay, I'm no decorator, my eye aimed toward quick, cheap results, my Martha Stewart-ness a -.5 on a 10 scale. But because one string of my small white lights expired, I was stuck trying to spread a single set over my whole tree. Guess what: it looks a helluva lot better. Prettier, oddly more authentic, more subtle -- with more breathing room for decorations. By not creating the ubiquitous showroom/holiday store window effect, with a tree awash in white dots (and those wires that are ever more difficult to hide), it's actually much more elegant.

Maybe everything is done to excess, not always with aesthetically pleasing results. I was dumbstruck, realizing we've likely endured a proliferation of over-lit trees.

Or,the old adage about fashion perhaps applies: some ladies wear dresses, some dresses wear the woman. Too many lights on a Christmas tree can be like an over-accessorized woman. Take something off. Let your tree wear the lights, not the other way around.

Other suggestions from those who know far more?
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 11/25/07 at 06:57 PM
zepka102 Profile Photozepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I can't even picture how one string could be spread out over the WHOLE tree... how did you stretch it out?
::bust a move::
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I had the same idea, and almost abandoned the task until I just did it. You'd be surprised. And those damned wires are just gone. (Last year I spent an hour just hiding the wires.) Of course, there are many brands, and I did have two very LONG strings. But the relationship between neutral space and light is more pronounced; it gives the tree more "depth." Look at old photos of trees -- they often were leaner and more elegant for their spareness.

I realize this is very subjective, but for those who dare -- it works.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 11/25/07 at 07:04 PM
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: radical tree trimming advice: fewer lights

Sometimes less really is more...and sometimes it is just LESS.

Auggie, you should get rid of the electric lights and just go with REAL CANDLES!
PEACE.
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sorry, I belong to the Christopher Radko School of Decorating. According to him, there's no such thing as too much of a good thing. I put hundreds of lights on my tree and hundreds of ornaments as well. I feel the Christmas tree has to overwhelm people with its beauty. (Just for the record, my lights are red, white and green--the colors of the Italian flag.)

Of course, I realize not everyone shares this view and that's okay. Christmas brings out our individuality.
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BLASPHEMY!!!

100 lights per foot, that's my motto - and I'm sticking to it!
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
you must have a very tiny tree, Auggie
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
zepka102 Profile Photozepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There's no way I could have made 1 strand stretch over our tree... our's is between 10 and 12 feet... least we could do was 400 lights!
::bust a move::