Supportivemom is back from NY!

supportivemom Profile Photosupportivemom Profile Photo
supportivemom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Supportivemom is back from NY!#1
Posted: 11/24/07 at 9:51pm
Warning- long post! First of all. Let me say a BIG THANK YOU to all of you who sent me posts and started threads about my trip. It was all SOOOO APPRECIATED! Now that my xanax has worn off, I can report about my trip (no- I'm not a drug addict- just a HORRIBLE flyer and I only took it on the flights). So, we arrived in NY on Friday, the 16th. Our plane was 2 hrs late and then we got into rush hour. We got to our hotel at 6:50 and had to be at the FIT auditorium by 7. We were in such a hurry and we didn't have time to ask about the subway situation. The taxi line was about 20 minutes, so we walked in the cold from 53rd to 26th. We made it at 7:20! I won't go day by day because the post will be too long. I travelled with my sister and she wanted to eat at some of the tourists spots. We got to Lindy's, Juniors, and Sardi's. We also ate at Natsumi- by the Altar Boyz theatre and some Japanese restaurant on 47th (across from McDonald's and next to Yoda) called Katsu something. We also ate at an Italian restaurant on 9th Ave called Pietrasanta- or something like that- very good. We didn't get to see the shows we had tickets for but my daughter had a Broadway workshop with Michelle Robinson who has been with Chicago for 11 years. She gave my daughter great tips for her Thespian piece. The kids went to a Legally Blonde cast party at Spotlight (a rip-off place but my daughter had fun). LBB showed up for a little while and sang with the kids. She also sang one of her new country songs which I thought was very nasally. A lot of the kids weren't impressed because she didn't stick around long and stopped taking individual shots. The understudy and rest of the cast were wonderful though! We went to see Altar Boyz Monday night and met Jane 2 (she is adorable!). Some whack job got up on stage before the show and started dancing and then his seat was right next to my daughter. Luckily we were moved. (Jane2- a couple of days later, we met the actor who played Luke at the Europa Cafe across from David Letterman Show-he looks so different in person and he was soooo nice to my daughter- told him we saw the show because of you and he said they all love you too). We talked to the Altarholics before the show too. My daughter recognized Chad (Matthew) from You're the One that I Want for Grease so she was excited). GREAT show! She especially loved the character of Mark and we bought the soundtrack. We also got to Lincoln Center and Juilliard that day. We ran into Larry King with his wife and sons buying hot dogs on the street. He's much shorter than I thought and he was nice to us and the crowd. My daughter and I also met with AngActing for lunch one day. She gave my daughter wonderful tips for her St. Joan monologue. All of her tips are going to be so useful and it was so nice of her to meet with us! We were able to get to the MOMA which was fantastic! Of course, we got a lot of shopping in! We were at the opening of the Bloomingdale's window and we got to hear Paul Potts from Britain's Got Talent sing live- he is a beautiful singer! My daughter liked H & M the best- very cute clothes and very reasonable! The day of the parade was so warm- I didn't wear my coat all day. My daughter got some good television time- she was one of the red painters. She was standing next to Meredith Viera and said that lighting does wonders because she has a a very wrinkled face that doesn't show up on TV- she said Matt looked the same as he does on TV. Afterwards, one of my sorority sisters (who is a personal trainer at the Reebok Club near the Lincoln Center area and at the JCC) met us at the hotel and took us to Chinatown, Little Italy, Soho, Grenwich Village and NYU. We had Dim Sum at Ping's on Mott Street. We don't have that in my town so it was a great experience for my daughter and it was good. We had gelato in Little Italy. She bought some cute jewelery in Chinatown but every store we went to asked if we wanted Gucci, or D & G bags, I guess they think all Americans go there for the fake purses! They loved my daughter, they kept saying she was so beautiful and should be a model so I let her do all the bargaining! It was a whirlwind day that ended with seeing Cirque du Soleil Wam Tuk in MSG. The performers are amazing and the show was really good. By Friday, I got saddled with a head cold. We spent the morning shopping on 5th Avenue. I went back to take a nap and my sister took my daughter on a carriage ride in Central Park. That night we saw the Rockette Show and came out into 26 degree weather! We tried to get in as much as we could but we also had to schedule around my daughter's rehearsals. Most of the time those were in the middle of the afternoon either on 26th street or the Hotel Pennsylvania. We watched the parade from the 18th floor from the Hotel Penn. My daughter met a lot of great people and has made some new friends. It was a wonderful experience. We love the people of New York. Everyone was so helpful! Thanks to anyone who will take the time to read this long post. We got a lot done with such a hectic schedule and my daughter has some great clothes for school. We now know what we want to do on our next visit. Again, thank you to all for the great suggestions! Happy Holidays! mom
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Supportivemom is back from NY!#2
Posted: 11/24/07 at 10:25pm
Welcome back!

Sounds like you had a ball!!!
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Supportivemom is back from NY!#2
Posted: 11/24/07 at 10:31pm
Hi mom! It was great meeting you and thanks-you're adorable too!

So you ran into Andrew Call at the restaurant? He's such a doll. What a nice guy he is, very cute and talented. I'm so glad I was able to get your seats changed at AB - who needed that looney making sounds all night!
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
miss pennywise Profile Photomiss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Supportivemom is back from NY!#3
Posted: 11/24/07 at 10:34pm
Glad you made it to MOMA! re: Supportivemom is back from NY!
"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars
supportivemom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Supportivemom is back from NY!#4
Posted: 11/24/07 at 10:39pm
Jane- I couldn't remember his real name. What happened was my daughter and I were standing in line and I heard this guy beautifully singing Billy Joel with his ear plug in one ear. Told him I loved Billy Joel and teasingly, I asked if he took requests. He said he would but he had to sing later on that night. I asked him if he was in a show and he said modestly that he was in an off-Broadway show. I asked him which one and he said Altar Boyz. We got so excited and then said- oh you were Luke. We didn't recognize him because he wears a hat on stage and he looks so much larger on stage. He said it was a compliment that he looked different on stage. Anyway, we told him we were visiting and that one of my friends who ushered the show recommended the show to us. Told him my friend told us to particularly watch him because he was so good and that everyone at the theatre loved him and was glad he was back. He asked which usher told me about it and when I told him it was you, he smiled and said we all love her too. I told him we loved the show so much we bought the soundtrack. Then I thanked him for his wonderful performance and wished him a happy holiday. He was ADORABLE! mom
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Supportivemom is back from NY!#5
Posted: 11/24/07 at 10:45pm
That's great, mom. I only usher once in a while but when I see him, I get a big hug! I guess he knows I'm a fan~

So when are you coming back? re: Supportivemom is back from NY!
supportivemom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Supportivemom is back from NY!#6
Posted: 11/24/07 at 10:52pm
Jane- sending you a PM- mom
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Supportivemom is back from NY!#7
Posted: 11/25/07 at 12:06am
Sounds like you had a wonderful time, mom! Glad to hear it.

I'm not surprised in the least that Jane2 was amiable and accommodating. She's a true doll!
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
SNLMedia Profile PhotoSNLMedia Profile Photo
SNLMedia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Supportivemom is back from NY!#8
Posted: 11/25/07 at 12:14am
Minor thread jack, but Andrew Call is back in "Altar Boyz"? Awesome! I have to revisit the show now.

Thanks for your trip report, mom!
"The world is a better place because of hairspray." - Michael Ball

Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Supportivemom is back from NY!#9
Posted: 11/25/07 at 10:44am
Besty-what a wonderful way to start my day, reading your post! Thanks so much! The feeling is mutual~ xoxox

SNL-Yes, Andrew is back! He's been back for a while now, and everyone's happy.

Although, I must say on Landon's behalf, that he had made Luke his own character and had gotten quite good in the role.

Back to supportivemom-she's really young and cute!
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Supportivemom is back from NY!#10
Posted: 11/25/07 at 11:58am
It sounds like a dream vacation, even WITH the strike.
I do wonder about the guy at the AB performance. If he was so disruptive why was he allowed to stay? Just because you got to change seats so you were not sitting next to him (nice move, Jane!) it sounds as if he would be disturbing ANYONE who was sitting next to him. House management should have evicted him from the theatre. One of these days Dollypop will learn how to behave around cute young boys! Until then, kick him out!)

Oh, and mom, if you ever venture over to the main Broadway board, you might not want to use the term "soundtrack" when describing an OCR. They can be a bitchy group over there and not nearly as forgiving as we are on the OT board.
PEACE.
supportivemom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Supportivemom is back from NY!#11
Posted: 11/25/07 at 12:15pm
Suleen- what was I thinking? Of course I meant the original cast recording. I was typing so much info that the word sountrack got in my head. Thanks for pointing that out so I don't make that mistake again! Back to the wacko at AB. I thought he was going to be evicted as soon as he went up on stage too. He was talking to Jane and us as if he knew us. He was also talking to a family from Texas that was in our Camp Broadway group. I looked at it as a memory for my daughter. I didn't hear a peep out of him during the show though. (Of course, he ended up sitting in the row all by himself) I'd say we got a lot accomplished even with the strike. There's so much to do and so little time! Thanks Jane for the compliments as well! mom
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Supportivemom is back from NY!#12
Posted: 11/25/07 at 12:16pm
Here's the story on the loony Sue-this guy came over to where I was standing talking to mom. He approached us as if he knew us-real friendly and fun. In fact I thought he was part of mom's family, and she thought he knew me! Anyway, his seat was next to mom's party, but he kept walking down towards the stage saying he'd be right back. Next thing I knew, he was on the stage, dancing around. This was before the curtain. He was brought off the stage and told to sit down and that any further trouble would get him evicted.

He behaved for the duration of the performance except for some minor noise utterances.
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Supportivemom is back from NY!#13
Posted: 11/25/07 at 12:18pm
Haha-we posted at the same time Mom! At least we had the same story, lol!
mominator Profile Photomominator Profile Photo
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Supportivemom is back from NY!#14
Posted: 11/25/07 at 12:30pm
Sounds like you had a grand time! And we only missed each other by a couple of weeks!
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Supportivemom is back from NY!#15
Posted: 11/25/07 at 12:35pm
I don't know. I think there should be ZERO tolerance for people who actually GET ON THE STAGE! Kick the bum out. Why risk ruining the show for everyone else? The second he stepped foot on the stage he risks injury to himself, and the theatre management should have put him out on his ass. By the way, do they serve liquor at the theatre? Because that ups the liability, too.
PEACE.
SNLMedia Profile PhotoSNLMedia Profile Photo
SNLMedia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Supportivemom is back from NY!#16
Posted: 11/25/07 at 12:38pm
Sue, there is a bar inside New World Stages. That might explain the wacko's behavior.
"The world is a better place because of hairspray." - Michael Ball

ucjrdude902 Profile Photoucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Supportivemom is back from NY!#17
Posted: 11/25/07 at 12:41pm
What did she have rehersals for? I'm a little lost :)
supportivemom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Supportivemom is back from NY!#18
Posted: 11/25/07 at 2:52pm
My daughter was in the opening number of the Macy's Parade. She was with the Camp Broadway kids who opened the show with a song/dance and then they introduced Meredith and Matt on the Today Show. Because she was in red, she was also part of the group that got to lead out Santa at the end. She met wonderful people and on top of all the rehearsing, she also got to go to a Broadway workshop led by Michelle Robinson, who has been with Chicago since it's revival. Thanks for asking! mom
supportivemom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Supportivemom is back from NY!#19
Posted: 11/25/07 at 2:54pm
Oh, and I didn't realize that all of Rosie O'Donnell's artwork was inside New World Stages. To me, the art all looked alike. The messages were very political and angry. I loved the atmosphere of the theatre though. Everyone was so nice! mom
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Supportivemom is back from NY!#20
Posted: 11/25/07 at 3:43pm
SNL-we have three bars!

Mom-it's interesting you said "angry" about Rosie's work. Most people say that. I showed it to some friends just today and that was the first thing they said-It's so angry!
ucjrdude902
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Supportivemom is back from NY!#21
Posted: 11/25/07 at 4:16pm
Mom-is your daughter Chelsea? The one I auditioned with for Hairspray? If not...forget what i just said :)
supportivemom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Supportivemom is back from NY!#22
Posted: 11/25/07 at 4:28pm
No, my daughter is only 13. She auditioned in June for the Macy's Parade. I have no idea what you are talking about. Thanks, mom
ucjrdude902
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Supportivemom is back from NY!#23
Posted: 11/25/07 at 4:31pm
Nevermind. I got you confused with stagemom
supportivemom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Supportivemom is back from NY!#24
Posted: 11/25/07 at 4:37pm
Ha! I'm definitely NOT a stage mom! Thanks for clearing up the confusion. supportivemom