Page: 1

Turkey Day Q?

thetinymagic2 Profile Photothetinymagic2 Profile Photo
thetinymagic2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Turkey Day Q?#1
Posted: 11/12/07 at 8:30pm
Any chefs out there? What's the best way to "warm up" a Turkey that's being transported to my place, but is being cooked elsewhere (Thursday, 11/22 morning)...WITHOUT drying out?
10 lbs, BTW.
Mamie Profile PhotoMamie Profile Photo
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Turkey Day Q?#2
Posted: 11/12/07 at 8:52pm
Are you making gravy? Will you have juices from the turkey?

1. Soak a big piece of cheesecloth in the broth (or use canned chicken broth if you don't have any turkey broth) and drape it over the turkey. Then put the turkey in a deep, covered roasting pan with a lid. Put the lid on it and place in a slightly warm oven at about 200-225 degrees. The cloth should keep the skin from drying out and the low temp should keep the bird from cooking any more.

2. Or the best way is not to worry about it being hot. Just make sure it's no cooler than room temp. Serve hot gravy on the side and if anyone wants the turkey to actually be hot, they can just put some gravy on it.
www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
artscallion Profile Photoartscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Turkey Day Q?#2
Posted: 11/12/07 at 9:12pm
I'd go with Mamie's second suggestion. There really isn't a good way to reheat a whole turkey. How long will it have been between the time the bird leaves the oven and arrives at your house?

If you really must reheat it though, I wouldn't do it as a whole bird. It'll take too long and you'll just kill it. I would carve it and place it in a large covered casserole with gravy and heat it at 350 til it's hot.

I do have to comment on the notion of keeping the skin moist though. This is what we all grew up seeing. But in my opinion, as a former chef, it's a mistake to baste a bird or try to keep the skin moist. Doing so does not in any way keep the meat moist. Liquid can't penetrate the skin any more than rain penetrates our skin. The only thing this does is make the bird's skin moist and rubbery instead of crisp, which is really what most people want.

I recommend using either oil on the skin of larger birds or melted butter on smaller birds (say 10 lbs and under.) Then just cover the breast with foil after it's nicely browned and crisped.
Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.
thetinymagic2 Profile Photothetinymagic2 Profile Photo
thetinymagic2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Turkey Day Q?#3
Posted: 11/12/07 at 10:58pm

Great advice...Thanks!
iluvcioffiiluvtea Profile Photoiluvcioffiiluvtea Profile Photo
iluvcioffiiluvtea
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Turkey Day Q?#4
Posted: 11/12/07 at 11:05pm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....
R.I.P. Laurann 1987-2005