Page: 1

Vintage Roller Derby

Ida Noodleman
Stand-by
Stand-by
Vintage Roller Derby#1
Posted: 11/8/07 at 7:03am
Inspired by Findingnamo's wrestling thread.

I used to love Roller derby back in the day when it was considered a legitimate sport. I applied and was accepted to the RD training program at the age of 19. I wanted so nothing more than to be drafted into the Philadelphia Warriors team.

Did anyone else used to follow this. Does anyone know the names Joani Weston, Judy Arnold, Ann Calvello, Mike Gammon and Jim Trotter? Anyone remember the L A Thunderbirds, the Philadelphia Warriors or the Bay City Bombers?

I remember going to the movie theater and sitting all day (back when you could do this)watching the movie "Kansas City Bomber" with Raquel Welch over and over. Two or three weekends in a row watching the same movie about 6 or 7 times in a day.
What would Tina Yothers do?
madbrian Profile Photomadbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Vintage Roller Derby#2
Posted: 11/8/07 at 8:28am
I actually went to Madison Square Garden back in the 70s. I was a huge Joanie Weston fan, so Ann Calvello was a sworn enemy. Wasn't Mike Gammon married to another skater, 'Peanuts' Meyer? I remember watching a lot of the matches on the Spanish language TV stations.
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
Ida Noodleman
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Vintage Roller Derby#2
Posted: 11/8/07 at 6:22pm
Mike Gammon was married to another skater whose name escapes me. My team was the Philly Warriors so Joanie and Ann were both rivals, but I loved them anyway.
What would Tina Yothers do?