Page: 1

cooking question about fried green tomatoes

Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm taking a chance that someone might be able to help me here, but not counting on it.

I love fried green tomatoes and I was able to make some because my friend had leftover tomatoes from her plant which will never turn red.

Does anyone know if green tomatoes are available year round in any store?
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
Liverpool Profile PhotoLiverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
please don't cook Mary Louise Parker. I want to father a child with her.
Mamie Profile PhotoMamie Profile Photo
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I almost never see green tomatoes in a store. They only put them in there when they're ripe. If you can find a grocer who sells locally grown produce or you know of any farmer's markets - then that's the place to get them. This time of the year is perfect for them. There's always a lot of late tomatoes on the vine that won't get ripe because of the coolness and limited sunlight. We used to get them for practically nothing and we'd make green tomato relish with them. (It's delicious. But so are the fried green tomatoes!)
www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
thanks Mamie, I'll definitely ask at the green market this weekend. I was just wondering if they could be found anywhere when they're out of season, for people who like to make the fried green ones. Probably only down south!
wonderwaiter Profile Photowonderwaiter Profile Photo
wonderwaiter
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm in Georgia, and green tomatoes are available year-round here. Through a long process of trial and error, I now make some kick-ass fried green tomatoes. (Don't believe me? Come visit.) But they are a Southern staple, I don't know if they would be available year-round in New York.
"The tale doesn't so much unfold as ooze out..."
soapguy17 Profile Photosoapguy17 Profile Photo
soapguy17
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
They're for sell all year round here too. (In Alabama), I don't cook them all that often though. When I do though, they're awesome!
I have NEVER met Cheyenne Jackson. I have never hung out with him in his dressing room, he did not tweet me, he never bought me a beverage, and he mostly certainly didn't tickle me. . .that is all.
wonderwaiter
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Soap, I think it's a city ordinance in Birmingham that you HAVE to have green tomatoes available year round. After all, it's the hometown of Fannie Flagg and the Irondale Cafe!
soapguy17 Profile Photosoapguy17 Profile Photo
soapguy17
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ha Ha! I'm pretty sure it is, right under that thing about owning a deep fryer. (I swear I get the weirdest looks from my northern family members when they see the one in our kitchen.)
I have NEVER met Cheyenne Jackson. I have never hung out with him in his dressing room, he did not tweet me, he never bought me a beverage, and he mostly certainly didn't tickle me. . .that is all.
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That's what I thought-they're available down south.

Mine aren't too bad even though I don't deep fry them.
wonderwaiter
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jane, I use a pan myself. I don't own a deep-fryer. Or a giant charcoal/gas grill for that matter. I'm surprised I haven't been drummed out of the neighborhood.
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is there really a big difference in flavor in deep frying vs. pan frying them?
wonderwaiter
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Not that I can tell. There are three restaurants within walking distance of my house that have fried green tomatoes on their menu and I know they deep fry, but the only flavor difference I can tell between theirs and mine is in the breading. I firmly believe that my fried green tomatoes are better than Ruth Ann's and Minnie's, but for the life of me I can't surpass the quality of Cafe 222's. They're made by a middle-aged black lady who also comes out into the dining room to sing hymns during the lunch rush. As much as my FGT's rock, they don't hold a candle to hers. I long to know her secret. Her tomatoes are divine.
JerseyGirl2 Profile PhotoJerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
My mother found some frozen fried green tomatoes at home. It sounds icky, but I am telling you, they are SO damn good.
Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!
Mamie Profile PhotoMamie Profile Photo
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I found a discussion on making your own from frozen slices. This note was the most helpful:

"I've frozen sliced green tomatoes (no breading) and then just dip and bread the frozen ones and fry them still frozen. Works very well--the key is to not let them thaw! Less messy than freezing already-breaded slices. When it's time to bread, I dip them in beaten egg then dredge them in a cornmeal/flour mix.
I freeze the slices on a tray, then put them in a ziploc or vaccuum seal them with my foodsaver. "

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
JG, it doesn't sound icky if that's the only way I can get them! Now to find a supermarket here that carries the frozen.

NYC supermarkets have NO products-I'm serious.

Mamie-that sounds good, if I can find the frozen ones, thanks~