Moving to NYC?

mesmerized24601 Profile Photomesmerized24601 Profile Photo
mesmerized24601
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Moving to NYC?#1
Posted: 11/1/07 at 2:45pm
Hello everyone

A few friends and I have wanted to make a move from Michigan to New York for the last 4 or 5 years, and it looks like it may actually happen this year!
The reason for my post is we are goung to start looking for areas to move to soon and I was thinking that some of you may have some ideas.
We want to live close enough to see a broadway show at the drop of a hat, but far enough to pay a resonable amount of rent! A friend of ours went to Pratt University and lived in Brooklyn and I think the three of us are a little to pampered to be where she was, so what other areas are there. We visit ALOT and always stay on 48th and 8th (I am sure there is no chance of us affording that area right?) We also know someone in Queens (the area starts with an M...but I forget the name) what is that like, could you still work in the city?
The reason for moving is the horrible job market here, and the fact that one friend just graduated and wanta a carrer in Design. Not so common in MI unless you want to design cars!
Basically I was hoping that someone here may have some information on different areas of the city and the living evpences there????

Maybe?????????

...and still you hold on, to every old song... - Adam Pascal
Craig Profile PhotoCraig Profile Photo
Craig
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Moving to NYC?#2
Posted: 11/1/07 at 3:04pm
I strongly suggest you do a search (before you get some snarky answers) on this message board. There have been several threads about this very subject...

best,
Craig
"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Moving to NYC?#2
Posted: 11/1/07 at 3:09pm
Buffalo!
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
mesmerized24601
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Moving to NYC?#3
Posted: 11/1/07 at 3:15pm
Thanks for the heads up Craig,

I did a quick search and saw a thread about appartment hunting (we are far from that step) one about needing roomies, and one about how people can afford to live there. I feel like this thread is unique because I am more asking about different areas, like Buffalo (namo) or Queens, or Long or Staten Island.

I do however really hate the snarky comments so is there a way to delete the thread...i will look!
Calvin Profile PhotoCalvin Profile Photo
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Moving to NYC?#4
Posted: 11/1/07 at 3:15pm
I'll be nice.

Here's a really long discussion on this.

eta: Oops. You probably saw this one, then.
Link
Updated On: 11/1/07 at 03:15 PM
madbrian Profile Photomadbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Moving to NYC?#5
Posted: 11/1/07 at 3:16pm
I grew up in Astoria, which is in Queens. It's very accessible to Manhattan, and with some diligence and luck you can find a reasonable rent. Your post says it's you and a few friends - how many people are in your group?
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
Bettyboy72 Profile PhotoBettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Moving to NYC?#6
Posted: 11/1/07 at 3:17pm
"A friend of ours went to Pratt University and lived in Brooklyn and I think the three of us are a little to pampered to be where she was, so what other areas are there?"

Oh dear, that quote alone will get you in trouble. :) Best of luck with the hunt though.

PS- I also have a few friends in Astoria and the rents aren't bad and the commute to the theatre district aint bad either.
"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello
Updated On: 11/1/07 at 03:17 PM
mesmerized24601
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Moving to NYC?#7
Posted: 11/1/07 at 3:22pm
thank you for your kindness Calvin, but I did see that one as well. I didnt see mention of exact areas though. We really want to move as close to Manhatten as possible?

There are 3 of us

"A friend of ours went to Pratt University and lived in Brooklyn and I think the three of us are a little to pampered to be where she was, so what other areas are there?"

There was nothing wrong with Brooklyn or the apartment (I actually liked it) it was just the 8 flights of steps, and the ridiculous walk to the subway everymorning. Of couse I am sure that anywhere outside of acyually living in times square would involve that.

Updated On: 11/1/07 at 03:22 PM
mattnyc2 Profile Photomattnyc2 Profile Photo
mattnyc2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Moving to NYC?#8
Posted: 11/1/07 at 3:24pm
Haven't posted for eternity on this site, but thought that I would come back from the dead to give some advice...

To start off with you need to plan everything way in advance, don't just move at the drop of a hat. When my partner and I moved to NYC in January '06 we had been planning the details and saving our pennies for about a year. Everyone that I know that moved to the city with only a couple weeks planning has ended up broke and back at home with mom and dad within months.

In terms of areas to live in that are an easy commute to the theater district, try for Astora/Long Island City, Sunnyside or Woodside in Queens. These areas are way less pricy than Manhattan and are an easy trip on the subway to midtown. I've lived in Queens for the past two years and never had any problem getting to the city for work or entertainment purposes.
The area of Queens that starts with an "M" that you're probaby thinking of is either Maspeth or Middle Village. While both of these areas are decent in terms of price and safety, they are farther away from Manhattan and offer limited subway stops.

If you can, it's a good idea to have a job lined up BEFORE you move. It will make getting an apartment much easier. Most apartments require that you are employed and have good credit. If you don't have good credit then you're going to need to guarantor that lives within the tri-state area.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me. Good luck!
Calvin Profile PhotoCalvin Profile Photo
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Moving to NYC?#9
Posted: 11/1/07 at 3:25pm
Well, don't rule out Washington Heights/Inwood. It's actually in Manhattan and is still somewhat affordable in NYC terms.

And I have to climb six flights of steps, but once outside, it's less than two blocks to two subway lines that can both get me to midtown in 15-20 minutes or so.
mesmerized24601
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Moving to NYC?#10
Posted: 11/1/07 at 3:30pm
MASPETH!!! That was it! We stayed there for a baby shower a few years ago and I remember getting into the city was tough!

Thanks alot for all of the ideas, and NOTHING is ruled out yet.

We have a whole year to plan though and one person with EXCELLENT credit, one with decent credit and then there is me.....ugh re: Moving to NYC?

You are all awesome so far was Buffalo a serious responce though because I thought that was far!
luvtheEmcee Profile PhotoluvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Moving to NYC?#11
Posted: 11/2/07 at 8:50am
... Buffalo is about six hours from New York City.

Wow.
A work of art is an invitation to love.
misschung Profile Photomisschung Profile Photo
misschung
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Moving to NYC?#12
Posted: 11/2/07 at 9:30am
I thought they were kidding. No?

Depending on how much Rent you're willing to pay, there are some spots in Manhattan if you search. But you need to be willing to pay about $2,000 a month.

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?