Page: 1

Celebrity Detox

Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
Celebrity Detox#1
Posted: 10/30/07 at 10:03am
With all the rabid Rosie fans on this board, I'm surprised more attention wasn't paid to this book after it was actually released. Could it be because the book itself is so bloomin' terrible that even her most ardent fans don't wish to have to defend it?

For the most part, I've always been a fan of Rosie, though her presence on The View really pushed my limits. I found her to be a bully and a hypocrite on that show, as well as something of a megalomaniac. The book does nothing to change that opinion.

It's rather poorly written, with short, non-descriptive sentences filling 90% of what I read so far. Occasionally she'll reprint blog entries, which is sort of like reading the pages monkeys type as their handlers attempt to get them to plunk out Hamlet.

As someone for whom the bloom has long fallen off the Rosie (ha!), perhaps I'm not being objective, but so far she just comes off as a whiny, petulant mess. Her description of what was going through her head when she lashed out at Kelly Ripa for her "homophobia" with Clay Aiken makes virtually no sense. Every anecdote regarding The View begins with a lengthy explanation of why her way would have always been the right way, with everyone else involved being mentioned with dismissal, condescension or downright contempt.

Has anyone else actually attempted to read this?
EverythingIsRENT Profile PhotoEverythingIsRENT Profile Photo
EverythingIsRENT
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Celebrity Detox#2
Posted: 10/30/07 at 10:34am
I trudged though that mess of a book and came to basically the same conclusion you did. I was hopin gfor more juicy parts on Nuclear Wednesday. I did find it slightly creepy how Rosie turned Barbara into a mother.
Sunchips: Best Kept Secret in the chip aisle!!
robbiej Profile Photorobbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Celebrity Detox#2
Posted: 10/30/07 at 10:50am
So...it's not even a fun trainwreck, worth my time?
"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."
ClumsyDude15 Profile PhotoClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Celebrity Detox#3
Posted: 10/30/07 at 10:52am
Eh. I am reading it, but I haven't touched it for days.
Too busy reading Gossip Girl. =)
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
re: Celebrity Detox#4
Posted: 10/30/07 at 10:52am
Not really. I'm just really surprised it didn't get much mention on here after it was released.
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Celebrity Detox#5
Posted: 10/30/07 at 2:45pm
I don't know about anyone else, but for me, I really didn't think the book would provide any additional insight into her character. As you said yourself, it did nothing to change your opinion of her, but rather just reinfored it containing pretty much what you would expect. I can understand reading it if you are really hungry for the motivations behind her words and actions, but I feel she does a good job at wearing her emotions on her sleeve, so honestly, what is there to be gained? If the book had some campy/gossipy entertainment value, then I would consider investing some time into it, but it was quite clear early in its release that it was not to be had, intentional or not. I think mostly everyone wrote it off as an extended hard copy of her blog.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
justagirl2 Profile Photojustagirl2 Profile Photo
justagirl2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Celebrity Detox#6
Posted: 10/30/07 at 2:50pm
That's how I felt as well, Mister Matt. Rosie is, as we all know, one of those people who does not hide an inkling of what she feels or believes. What can she tell us in this book that she hasn't already, or at least wouldn't be afraid to if the topic came up in conversation?

Clumsy - Though I haven't read Celebrity Detox, I imagine that trashy teen novels are far more worthy of your time! re: Celebrity Detox (No sarcasm intended.)
CJR Profile PhotoCJR Profile Photo
CJR
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Celebrity Detox#7
Posted: 10/30/07 at 3:05pm
I was excited for the book's release but now that I have it, I can't seem to get through it. It's been sitting in my desk drawer at work since it arrived from amazon. I think I've gotten through about 12 pages.
"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

ClumsyDude15
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Celebrity Detox#8
Posted: 10/30/07 at 3:11pm
"Clumsy - Though I haven't read Celebrity Detox, I imagine that trashy teen novels are far more worthy of your time! (No sarcasm intended.)"

Indeed, justagirl! I'm on Book Five.
I'm loving it! re: Celebrity Detox
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
re: Celebrity Detox#9
Posted: 10/30/07 at 3:29pm
Yeah, I don't really know why I'm reading it either. It happened to catch my eye at the library and the typset is such that there are so few words on each page I know it wouldn't take long to blow through. I do like backstage gossip, though, whether or not I think the source is reliable. :)
ClumsyDude15
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Celebrity Detox#10
Posted: 10/30/07 at 4:01pm
I am quite far in it, It just is so distracting when she goes from narrative to a blog entry.
For those of you, who have read it, you know what I mean.
Plus, she starts to make little sense after awhile, when she changes topics at the drop of a hat.

When I sit in bed at night and need to snuggle up with a book, I usually grab the current Gossip Girl book I'm reading, it's trashy and stays on topic. =)
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Celebrity Detox#11
Posted: 10/31/07 at 10:35am
Oh, are you reading Gossip Girl? I hadn't gleaned that from the thread.
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile