Posted: 8/17/07 at 10:04pm
R U SRS?
AnnaK<3LMIP Profile PhotoAnnaK<3LMIP Profile Photo
AnnaK<3LMIP
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: HSM 2!#2
Posted: 8/17/07 at 10:05pm
I had to watch it. Worse than the first IF it's even possible.

But that Cormin. He be gorgeous.
I mean, Denzel Washington? Gun to my head..of course.
VoiceAnth22
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: HSM 2!#3
Posted: 8/17/07 at 10:07pm
I thought it was better than the first!
Updated On: 8/17/07 at 10:07 PM
supportivemom Profile Photosupportivemom Profile Photo
supportivemom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: HSM 2!#4
Posted: 8/17/07 at 10:25pm
Sorry Q. My daughter and I watched it together and we were both loosing interest. The lip syncing seemed off and there didn't seem to be as much energy as the first. Hated the scripted/cheesy in between commercial banter from the cast at Ortega's house. So, Gabriella was wearing Troy's
necklace, in the next scene, it was off, then she apparently gave it back to him, then she was wearing it in the finale but Troy didn't know she'd be there. How did she get the necklace back? Sharpay seemed so desperate but glad they gave her brother a bigger part. Anyway, it's more pathetic that I'm writing here about it but I like mindless TV to help me wind down from my job. It's fun to critique but I'm very disappointed in the whole thing! Yet, I still watched to the end! Go figure! Gotta go! Hannah Montana is on- OMG!
regnad kcin Profile Photoregnad kcin Profile Photo
regnad kcin
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: HSM 2! Slight Spoiler#5
Posted: 8/17/07 at 10:31pm
(CurtainUp on Dad's old computer)

Loved it! I enjoyed the music from the original more, but I enjoyed this movie as a whole more. Unfortunately, the music soudned MORE synthesized -ah well. Loved the Berkely homage in "Fabulous". The issues were more real, the people were cattier, it was more fun! These kids really grew as actors (I know, I know it's not Shakespeare but I believed htem more). Was the script better, or was it just me? Cheesy yes, but maybe more enjoyably so. This cast was so adorable they pulled it off.

I wish the number Ryan won the prize for wasn't the least-choreographed! Grabeel was my favorite in the original and it was nice to see him as a bigger role. No joke, I do think he's playing the role stereotypically gay without mentioning. I wish he sang a little more, though.

So, the two movies aren't great. or very good. They're FUN and clean fun at that. It'd be great if they got kids into musicals, but that might be too idealistic. The only real problem I could see is that HSM is a stage show and kids will be obsessed with performing that and only that. I also wish the music was less poppy, but hey, it sells.

And "Bet On It" was hilarious, but at least Efron was decent. It made me laugh, when it wasn't supposed to but I repeat - it's FUN! An escape.

Ideally, I really wanted to see (and I knew it wouldn't be this for awhile) a movie about the production of the actual musical...

Fun and sweet and full of good messages. Tbat's all it was ever supposed to be. If I were a mom, I'd show it to my kid in a heartbeat.
Updated On: 8/17/07 at 10:31 PM
brdlwyr
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: HSM 2!#6
Posted: 8/17/07 at 10:33pm
The review from my 13 year old was "good". They were so psyched for it!
AbbaRabbit Profile PhotoAbbaRabbit Profile Photo
AbbaRabbit
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: HSM 2!#7
Posted: 8/17/07 at 10:39pm
i thought it was cute.

i'll never understand how people will sit there and disect a movie or tv show that's made for children. this isn't some billion dollar blockbuster, it's a cute fun movie for children that may -god forbid- get them interested in musical theatre.
supportivemom, you seem to have an issue with almost everything disney makes, so why even watch the shows?
Less is more
Ugly is beautiful
"My brother plays a drag queen... and I'm surprised he looks as good as he does in drag." - Adam Rapp

"thanks, abba. now i'll forever have an image of you as a tattoed hardcore straightedge grrl savaging people in the mosh pit." - papalovesmambo

"Yeah Abba. All the filthy crap you spew out there on those boards. I for one, am equally shocked. :-P" - AnnaK
popular_elphie Profile Photopopular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: HSM 2!#8
Posted: 8/17/07 at 10:54pm
I haven't watched it, but I have to share a tidbit:

My family and I were in Disney World last week and could've swore we saw Corbin Bleu at a restaurant. So my brother says, "What time is it?" pretty loud, and looks over to see if "Corbin" dances.

My brother tells me today that during the commercial breaks, the kid who plays Ryan says, "Every time I hear someone say, 'What time is it?', I have to get up and dance." and Corbin says, "Me, too!".

And I'm done :).
And then what if you are?
What a Prince would envision?
Although how can you know who you are till you know
What you want, which you don't?
So then which do you pick:
Where you're safe, out of sight, And yourself, but where everything's wrong?
Or where everything's right And you know that you'll never belong?
supportivemom Profile Photosupportivemom Profile Photo
supportivemom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: HSM 2!#9
Posted: 8/17/07 at 11:02pm
Abba- you obviously don't get the tongue and cheek of my comments. There are some things n Disney that I like. My children are interested in musical theatre NOT because of Disney. The issue that I have with Disney is the negative stereotypes they portray. I watch with my kids so we can discuss how not to stereotype. The other issue that I have with Disney stars is that they are always trying to make them all sing when they don't have singing talent. I see adults who have struggled for years and have trained for years and then some tweenager sells millions of CD's. It's more worrisome that these shows portray kids scheming, lying, and acting stupid. So, why do I watch? Because it's fun to critique and make fun of mindless shows! Afterall, this IS a discussion board- the difference is, I am open to everyone's opinion and I don't judge on ones that are different than mine. Thanks.
LittleFish8386 Profile PhotoLittleFish8386 Profile Photo
LittleFish8386
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: HSM 2!#10
Posted: 8/17/07 at 11:39pm
loved it.
Updated On: 8/17/07 at 11:39 PM
wickedfiyeroofoz Profile Photowickedfiyeroofoz Profile Photo
wickedfiyeroofoz
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: HSM 2!#11
Posted: 8/18/07 at 12:36am
Missed it...Next airtime?
How can they see with sequins in their eyes?
Steam Heat2 Profile PhotoSteam Heat2 Profile Photo
Steam Heat2
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: HSM 2!#12
Posted: 8/18/07 at 3:04am
The next time it is on is Sunday and it is the sing-a-long version. I didn't really like it that much. I really enjoyed the first one and felt that this one was played up too much. The sound quality of the songs was very synthesised. They made a really big deal of the second that I felt it wasn't as good. The first one they didn't know would be a big deal and it turned out to be. They made this one a big deal to begin with so.
Guess what? I have flaws. What are they? Oh I don't know... I sing in the shower. Sometimes I spend too much time volunteering. Occasionally I'll hit somebody with my car. So sue me. No, don't sue me... that's the opposite of the point I'm trying to make.
caitiesus1522 Profile Photocaitiesus1522 Profile Photo
caitiesus1522
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: HSM 2!#13
Posted: 8/18/07 at 9:48am
I didn't watch it yet, but I am sick of all the HSM bashing on this board! I am looking forward to the second one, I just re -watched the first yesterday. Yeah, it isn't great but it is fun and the kids in it are talented. Why do most people on bww have to have a stick up their butt?

It does get kids into musical theater, what is wrong with that? Yeah, it isn't high quality but it is FUN.
Albin Profile PhotoAlbin Profile Photo
Albin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: HSM 2!#14
Posted: 8/18/07 at 10:24am
"The next time it is on is Sunday and it is the sing-a-long version."

Actually it's on again Saturday night.

Hanging my head in shame that I know this...
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: HSM 2!#15
Posted: 8/18/07 at 10:53am
I never saw the first one, but my honey and I watched about a half hour of the new one last night...

Why does everybody in it (especially Efron) act like they're on cocain? They all have this buggy-eyed, breathless jerky style of delivering their lines and "emoting."

Except for the girl playing his "true love" in it. She was nice. I liked her.

It was completely surreal to me to watch the others though.

It's like watching a cartoon but with real people. (And I use "real" very loosely.)

The singing all sounded like it was coming through a tin can. Very "electronically processed" pop stuff. Not real voices coming through at all.

I guess this will be the new stylized "language" for pop musicals on the screen. Cartoon acting, synthesized voices... bugged eyes and jerked chins...

And too much hair. Everybody in it was way too "bushy."

But I liked the MTV dancing pretty much. Reminded me of Michael Jackson videos from 25 years ago, though. (Jesus, was it really THAT long ago?)

Haven't we pushed pop dance styles any further yet?

That would be the equivalent of "jitterbugging" 1945-style in a 1970 movie, right?

Still the kids had some talent.

This (to me) was a lot like Spring Awakening. It's selling "youth" above all else. Certainly above substance. Take away the youngness in it, and an occasional beat to tap your toes to, and there's not much else going on.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: HSM 2!#16
Posted: 8/18/07 at 11:01am
It's more worrisome that these shows portray kids scheming, lying, and acting stupid.'

oh, you mean it shows them acting like their parents? Kids are not stupid....they don't need to watch a teeny-booper musical to know how not to act.
I've seen neither the first nor the second and have no intention on seeing them
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: HSM 2!#17
Posted: 8/18/07 at 11:04am
I don't think for one minute that kids out there think this is "real" or an appropriate way to behave.

That would be like my generation watching Gilligan and the Brady Bunch and thinking, "yeah, this is how we should all be."

We didn't.

And the kids today don't either.

But I guess they find it "funny" or "cool" or at least entertaining enough to hold their interest.

Or maybe it's just the "cute" factor of the cast, above all else.

I guess I'm glad so many people are tuning in to watch a musical again... I just wish it was a "better" one than this.
wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photowonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: HSM 2!#18
Posted: 8/18/07 at 11:07am
"I guess I'm glad so many people are tuning in to watch a musical again... I just wish it was a "better" one than this."

Ditto!
I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: HSM 2!#19
Posted: 8/18/07 at 11:12am
There is something to be said for watching a bunch of cute kids behave in dorky situations (well that part alone is produced daily on TV) suddenly break out into slick "song & dance" numbers.

It does elevate things a bit.

Or maybe it just woke me up from my nap, but at least it worked.
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: HSM 2!#20
Posted: 8/18/07 at 11:25am
yeah, like WICKED.......KIDDING, I am KIDDING!

I guess if it gets the next generation of musical theater fans going it's fine, as long as this is not, to them, the epitome of the art. I am becoming less enthusiastic about all the Disney, teeny booper musicals. I, for one, do not think every Disney musical cartoon does NOT need to be made into a musical, or Cusicals (cartoon musical) as I call them.
And I don't mean that in any holier than thou, snobby way.....I just don't find those appealing.
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
YouWantitWhen???? Profile PhotoYouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: HSM 2!#21
Posted: 8/18/07 at 11:45am
I watched part of it last night out of curiosity and just kept thinking of the Mickey Mouse Club over and over again. I was surprised Annette Funicello did not have a cameo as a guest.

The damn thing was painful. I actually enjoyed the Roast of Flavor Flav more.

All of these stereotypes. The fat girl, the black kid, the snob, the eff boy who could play sports, the musical kid with glasses...

Though I thought the brother looked a young Michael Arden
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: HSM 2!#22
Posted: 8/18/07 at 11:48am
"I was surprised Annette Funicello did not have a cameo as a guest."

Ouch... She has MS pretty bad. Didn't you know?
YouWantitWhen???? Profile PhotoYouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: HSM 2!#23
Posted: 8/18/07 at 11:53am
Actually, yes I did.

But knowing Disney, nothing would surprise me.

It was that bad.

Updated On: 8/18/07 at 11:53 AM
regnad kcin Profile Photoregnad kcin Profile Photo
regnad kcin
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: HSM 2!#24
Posted: 8/18/07 at 12:27pm
As for the "on cocaine" reference, the energy is what sold these movies! So the songs are amazing and the acting in the first one is a bit mediocre, but the films ride on energy. It's the Disney channel - I think it fit.