Baz's Version of ROMEO AND JULIET

Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Baz's Version of ROMEO AND JULIET#1
Posted: 8/11/07 at 5:57pm
I know everyone hates this movie, but I like it. 'Tis a good version.
hermionejuliet Profile Photohermionejuliet Profile Photo
hermionejuliet
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Baz's Version of ROMEO AND JULIET#2
Posted: 8/11/07 at 6:01pm
I love this movie; it opened up Shakespeare to a whole new audience. I think Leo and Claire are wonderful in it, and it is visually stunning. Baz is a genius. I recently bought the "music edition" DVD, and it was really interesting to see how much thought went into ALL of the music in the movie.
So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Baz's Version of ROMEO AND JULIET#2
Posted: 8/11/07 at 6:11pm
It's a pathetic movie. I had to watch it when I was filling in for another English teacher.

The movie has ideas that aren't thought out. For example, what teenaged girl in today's day and age would have a bedroom filled with so many religious statues that it made the place look like the Vatican Museum? What purpose was served by having Friar Lawrence drink so heavily while constantly looking up at a clock that featured an image of the Divine Mercy?

As with his stage version of LA BOHEME, Baz creates vivid images but he doesn't follow through on them. There were so many gaps in his directorial logic in both BOHEME and R AND J that I think the man is little more than the Emperor without any new clothes.
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
kellybean2
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Baz's Version of ROMEO AND JULIET#3
Posted: 8/11/07 at 6:12pm
I love this movie. The soundtrack was so perfect for the action.
hermionejuliet
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Baz's Version of ROMEO AND JULIET#4
Posted: 8/11/07 at 6:30pm
Dollypop,

I completely disagree. Baz's R+J isn't real life. It is a heightened reality that has flecks of Latin American and the US culture. I find the religious images interesting. It is clear that both families are very devout, but some how their every day actions don't really match up with the teachings of the church. Not unlike many people in society actually...
So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?
ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photoray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Baz's Version of ROMEO AND JULIET#5
Posted: 8/11/07 at 6:39pm
I thoroughly enjoy this film more as a movie than as an adaptation of Shakespeare's tale (I watch the Zeffirelli film for that).
Danes makes for a divine Juliet but I dislike DiCaprio in this movie. The supporting cast is good throughout and well, I'm just a big fan of Baz's work in general and this movie is no exception.
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
gustof777 Profile Photogustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Baz's Version of ROMEO AND JULIET#6
Posted: 8/11/07 at 8:15pm
this is easily one of my top three movies that I don't tell people I love but yeah...Incredible and I'm in tears every time I watch it.
RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Baz's Version of ROMEO AND JULIET#7
Posted: 8/11/07 at 8:33pm
Surely the Capulets were devout, but no teenage girl in this day and age is going to have a bedroom that looks like the Sistine Chapel.
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Baz's Version of ROMEO AND JULIET#8
Posted: 8/11/07 at 8:36pm
Love it!

Not my favorite version of Romeo and Juliet, but I think this adaptation breathed new life into the familiar story, and I truly love Baz's cinematic imagination.

Visually stunning.

And the music choices are fantastic and work very well.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Broadwayboy2631 Profile PhotoBroadwayboy2631 Profile Photo
Broadwayboy2631
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Baz's Version of ROMEO AND JULIET#9
Posted: 8/11/07 at 9:31pm
The movie has its flaws but I like the interpretation.
hermionejuliet
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Baz's Version of ROMEO AND JULIET#10
Posted: 8/11/07 at 9:36pm
Not to harp, but I always pictured religion/religious icons to be the "hip" thing in the community. These icons are like designer clothes or the name of a popular rapper. I mean who would imagine that teeny boppers would have a room full of beanie babies? But there was a time when these were all the rage. Just my opinion.
misschung Profile Photomisschung Profile Photo
misschung
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Baz's Version of ROMEO AND JULIET#11
Posted: 8/11/07 at 10:14pm
"The movie has ideas that aren't thought out. For example, what teenaged girl in today's day and age would have a bedroom filled with so many religious statues that it made the place look like the Vatican Museum? What purpose was served by having Friar Lawrence drink so heavily while constantly looking up at a clock that featured an image of the Divine Mercy? "

I thought the film was supposed to be clearly contemporary, but vague as to an actual time period. The society that Luhrmann placed the Montagues and Capulets in could have been a very religious one where those kinds of icons were prevalent and a part of people's decor. I thought the Friar's drinking was actually humanizing - he is the one who sees the toll that the family's fueding is having on Romeo and Juliet, he sees that she is suicidal at the thought of her parents forcing her to marry someone she doesnt love, and he is the one who marries them behind their parents' backs. I thought it was clever for Luhrmann to give the Friar that vice, because the stress and anxiety that he feels that fuels his drinking helps expose the overall tension between the two families.
The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?
StickToPriest Profile PhotoStickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Baz's Version of ROMEO AND JULIET#12
Posted: 4/13/08 at 9:56pm
Just saw this for the first time tonight.

Loved it. Brilliant. Stays true to the intent of the original while also being innovative and breathing life into it.

And it's a visual masterpiece.

Dollypop, you obviously missed the intent and point of a lot of the movie and imagery.

*SPOILER* (though I can't imagine anyone at all hasn't read/scene R&J)
The scene where Mercutio dies was beyond exceptional. I was on the edge of my seat even though I've read and scene the play numerous times.
"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.
nitsua Profile Photonitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Baz's Version of ROMEO AND JULIET#13
Posted: 4/13/08 at 10:01pm
The kid who sings "When Doves Cry" lives in Dallas.
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
misschung Profile Photomisschung Profile Photo
misschung
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Baz's Version of ROMEO AND JULIET#14
Posted: 4/13/08 at 10:25pm
cruel, I don't know who you're referring to, but not "everyone hates" this version...

This film is wonderful - to me, it's light years ahead of Moulin Rouge.
The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?
broadway86 Profile Photobroadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Baz's Version of ROMEO AND JULIET#15
Posted: 4/13/08 at 10:28pm
It's not quite the opulent, bold masterpiece that Moulin Rouge is, but I really love this movie. DiCaprio is, I feel, the weak link but the supporting cast is stunning, and the text has rarely been as clear and accessible.
mauriposa Profile Photomauriposa Profile Photo
mauriposa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Baz's Version of ROMEO AND JULIET#16
Posted: 4/13/08 at 10:40pm
I love, love, love that movie.
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Baz's Version of ROMEO AND JULIET#17
Posted: 4/13/08 at 11:09pm
"no teenage girl in this day and age is going to have a bedroom that looks like the Sistine Chapel"

Except, of course, for many latinas like we have here in SoCal - and I suspect like there are in Miami.
Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Baz's Version of ROMEO AND JULIET#18
Posted: 4/14/08 at 9:40am
Visually interesting, but not moving at all and Luhrmann seemed to encourage the actors to wipe their asses with the verse. Leo and Claire don't know what the hell they are doing with the verse at all and it becomes completely incomprehensible. Those nasally west coast accents don't help much, either.

I'm guessing that Luhrmann wanted the verse to sound more contemporary by doing away with all that "high-flown" way of speaking (i.e. the rules to speaking Shakespeare), but watch the way Pete Poselthwaite, Miriam Margolies, and Diane Venora all follow the verse to a T but still calm it down for effect.

Nice soundtrack, though. Whatever happened to Des'ree?
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
peach
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Baz's Version of ROMEO AND JULIET#19
Posted: 4/14/08 at 10:15am
I love this movie. I like Baz's visuals and bizarre interpretations in general, but this one is my favorite. My husband, on the other hand, love Moulin Rouge and doesn't care for this version of R&J.

"no teenage girl in this day and age is going to have a bedroom that looks like the Sistine Chapel"

True, but I think the intent of the movie is to be more fantastical and ethereal than realistic - as misschung points out, clearly contemporary, but vague as to the actual timeframe (and place). To that end, I think the religious icons work in the context of the film.
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Baz's Version of ROMEO AND JULIET#20
Posted: 4/14/08 at 12:03pm
I thought it was ok. It was a valiant effort, at least. I thought the modernization of the setting was an intriguing idea, if only it had been a little more realistic than over-the-top. My biggest problem were the inconsistent performances.

The Zeffirelli film is still my favorite.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
DMsquared2 Profile PhotoDMsquared2 Profile Photo
DMsquared2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Baz's Version of ROMEO AND JULIET#21
Posted: 4/14/08 at 12:05pm
Leonardo DiCaprio is a lousy Romeo. His performance spoils it for me.
Jon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Baz's Version of ROMEO AND JULIET#22
Posted: 4/14/08 at 12:09pm
My mom teaches an "intro to theatre" course at the local junior college, and she's found that most teens who've seen both versions prefer the Zefferelli film.
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Baz's Version of ROMEO AND JULIET#23
Posted: 4/14/08 at 12:17pm
add me as another fan of the film.
Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Baz's Version of ROMEO AND JULIET#24
Posted: 4/14/08 at 12:22pm
Anyone see the campy George Cukor version with Norma Shearer (age 31) as Juliet and Leslie Howard (54!!) as Romeo?
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali