Page: 1

Stardust - Absolutely Fantastic!

PegasusRising
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Stardust - Absolutely Fantastic!#1
Posted: 8/8/07 at 1:28pm
I got to catch the press preview of Stardust at the Metreon in San Francisco last night. This is everything a fantasy movie should be: a simple-yet-engaging storyline, a fully-fleshed out magical world, captivating, quirky characters, and gorgeous visuals. You can't go wrong with magic and airships. Perhaps that's why the world of Final Fantasy is so awesome.

I'm off to find the novel now; I'm interested to hear from people who are familiar with the source material what they think of it.
"Artists are always on the vanguard of change: they give the community a vision."
"Desire comes from the Latin "de sire", or "of the father", or "of the stars". We want what is magical, what is out there, what is of the stars. And so our characters should as well."
"If there are people who don't believe in you, don't hang out with them. Wish them well, wish them peace, and move on."
-Anne Galjour
My Myspace Music Page
Pippin Profile PhotoPippin Profile Photo
Pippin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Stardust - Absolutely Fantastic!#2
Posted: 8/8/07 at 2:02pm
I am seeing a screening of it tomorrow night. Never read the book, but am very excited about your positive feedback.
"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."
Taryn Profile PhotoTaryn Profile Photo
Taryn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Stardust - Absolutely Fantastic!#2
Posted: 8/8/07 at 4:17pm
I'm a HUGE Neil Gaiman fan (the author who wrote the novel), so I'll be seeing this as soon as I can. I hear that it's significantly different than the novel, but Neil Gaiman seems to love it, so I'm not too worried. I can definitely see a lot of things in the novel that would need to be altered to make it a movie. I've been hearing good things about it since it was back in just a screenplay form.
Roninjoey Profile PhotoRoninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Stardust - Absolutely Fantastic!#3
Posted: 8/8/07 at 4:21pm
Neil Gaiman's one of my favorite authors and this is a great book. I'm seeing it on Friday. I can't wait. If Neil likes it I'll probably like it.
yr ronin,
joey
Pippin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Stardust - Absolutely Fantastic!#4
Posted: 8/10/07 at 12:20pm
saw it last night, and really, really enjoyed it.

I didn't know about the novel, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I had a great time. It is just a wonderfully told story with a lot of funny little bits, great characters, and wonderful special effects.

the focus is supposed to be the romantic couple, but Pfeiffer definately takes the cake whenever she is on screen, which IMO, isn't enough. She is deliciously evil, and I loved her.

De Nero- well DeNero, just wait till you see THIS performance. He had the audience in stitches.

Claire daines- ehhh, you know I love her sometimes and other times not as much- this performance was in between.

I also loved the writing- very tongue in cheek, very much like "The princess bride's" humour, but not AS campy- it had it's moments. the seven brothers who would be king are wonderfully directed, and always provide a laugh.

so, go see this movie if you want to be swept away for two hours, it was a delight.
"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."
muscle23ftl Profile Photomuscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Stardust - Absolutely Fantastic!#5
Posted: 8/10/07 at 12:22pm
I thought the thread was about Stardust Dinner.
"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-
Taryn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Stardust - Absolutely Fantastic!#6
Posted: 8/10/07 at 1:01pm
Neil Gaiman has asked his fans (via his blog) to drag their friends, at gunpoint if necessary, to see the movie this weekend, preferably Friday if at all possible, because openings are so important for movies nowadays. So I used that threat to get my parents to agree to see it today. re: Stardust - Absolutely Fantastic!
Roninjoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Stardust - Absolutely Fantastic!#7
Posted: 8/10/07 at 3:18pm
Hey Pippin, you don't accept PMs so I couldn't reply. The book is definitely worth reading. It isn't camp but Neil Gaiman does write with his tongue placed firmly in his cheek sometimes. It's a British sort of humor. I don't know how the movie compares yet but I understand there are significant differences.

Still, it's a short book. Get it :P Then get all of his other books!
yr ronin,
joey
DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Stardust - Absolutely Fantastic!#8
Posted: 8/10/07 at 3:20pm
Excellent movie. It just takes you on a journey like all good fantasys do. I really enjoyed it when I saw it a few weeks ago. Would like to see it again.

Oh.. and 420 makes it gorgeous.
HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Pippin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Stardust - Absolutely Fantastic!#9
Posted: 8/10/07 at 3:56pm
that it does, Dame.

that it does.
purpleprince101 Profile Photopurpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Stardust - Absolutely Fantastic!#10
Posted: 8/10/07 at 3:58pm
It was VERY good. Ms. Pfeiffer was amazing in her role!
Taryn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Stardust - Absolutely Fantastic!#11
Posted: 8/10/07 at 7:27pm
Just got back from seeing it. Yes, SIGNIFICANT changes from the book, which isn't quite so adventurous and climactic--it's rather more quirky and personable. But I wasn't bothered at all. It worked perfectly for a film adaptation. I'll write more details later, but I (along with both my parents) loved it.
Jilani
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Stardust - Absolutely Fantastic!#12
Posted: 8/11/07 at 12:24am
Just want to echo the praise for this movie in this thread. I saw it tonight and thought it was very entertaining. Michelle Pfeiffer, in particular, was fantastic. I'm in love with her two villainous turns this summer!

I was not familiar with the book or the author, but seeing the movie has inspired me to check out his books.
Roninjoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Stardust - Absolutely Fantastic!#13
Posted: 8/11/07 at 1:21am
I just got back from it--I really enjoyed it! It was a lot of fun. The book is better but really they are just very different. I really liked Claire Danes! I don't know why the reviews are so poor for her.
yr ronin,
joey
Liverpool Profile PhotoLiverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Stardust - Absolutely Fantastic!#14
Posted: 8/11/07 at 1:24am
I LOVE Gaiman. My first experience was a play i was in (a senior thesis) that was adapted from a work of his. I month ago i finished his wonderful book, Good Omens:The Nice and Accurate propheses of Agnes Nutter, Witch.

I want to see this movie quite a bit. I love Michelle and the previews look HOT>
Rymes_With_Witch Profile PhotoRymes_With_Witch Profile Photo
Rymes_With_Witch
Understudy
Understudy
re: Stardust - Absolutely Fantastic!#15
Posted: 8/11/07 at 12:10pm
I really loved it! This movie reminded me of every movie I loved as a kid...The Princess Bride, Neverending Story, Labyrinth, The Witches, Hocus Pocus, and even a little Into the Woods...I love fairytales with modern sensibility. It was extremely well cast...Michelle's accent could use (a lot of) work, but her acting was fantastic, even better than she was in Hairspray! I am loving Claire Danes too..she's everywhere these days! Henry Cavill (Humphrey) even looks a bit like Cary Elwes in Princess Bride. Robert Di Nero really made me laugh a lot ("My reputation!" LOL). Also loved the little cameo of Mark Williams (Arthur Weasley from the Harry Potter movies) as the goat. The movie had a great sense of humor and is a great twisted fairytale. And it gives you everyone's favorite ending, "Happily ever after"! I definitely think I will buy this movie when it comes out on DVD.
Parks
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Stardust - Absolutely Fantastic!#16
Posted: 12/23/07 at 2:20am
Ah! Just finished watching it! Fantastic movie. Glad I rented it...considering I had no idea what it was about before.
"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA