Nostalgia and aromas

Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Nostalgia and aromas#1
Posted: 8/6/07 at 1:13pm
Normally my bathroom soap is Yarley's English Lavender. I love the fragrance.

However, the other day I did my grocery shopping in a small store in town and found they had Cashmere Bouquet in the shelves. It imediately brought back memories of my childhood, so I bought a few bars. Wow! The delicate aroma was just the way I remembered it and I keep recalling snatches of my childhood as I use it.

A few years earlier, I had a similar experience with the coral colored Lifebuoy soap and it's distinctive 9if overwhelming aroma).

Has anyone else gone through something similar?
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
JohnBoy2 Profile PhotoJohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nostalgia and aromas#2
Posted: 8/6/07 at 1:17pm
I heard that using English Lavender and Cashmere Bouquet, as a child, makes you gay. Is that true? We used Zest, and I detested it.
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nostalgia and aromas#2
Posted: 8/6/07 at 2:05pm
Yep. Cashmere Bouquet was a shot straight back to the ancestral home for me, too.

Last weekend, on our way upstate, we stopped at a "scenic overlook". It had rained the night before and they were just mowing the grass. The scent was overwhelming...and took me back to carefree days growning up in Ohio... It hadn't occurred to me until then that the aroma of freshly cut lawns can differ.
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nostalgia and aromas#3
Posted: 8/6/07 at 2:35pm
The strongest sense memory I have concerning smell is of card catalogues in libraries. As much as I admire the capabilities of computerized systems, I miss terribly flipping through the cards - and they always had a distinct smell.

To this day, if I'm traveling through a small town, I'll stop in the library to see if by chance they still have the cards. I've found a couple, and it always takes me back to my ultimate safety zone from childhood.
Updated On: 8/6/07 at 02:35 PM
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nostalgia and aromas#4
Posted: 8/6/07 at 2:41pm
You know what else has a nostalgic smell? Old-fashioned hardware stores...
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
Bluemoon Profile PhotoBluemoon Profile Photo
Bluemoon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nostalgia and aromas#5
Posted: 8/6/07 at 2:45pm
Open a new box of Crayola crayons. It's the most evocative smell according to reseachers.
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nostalgia and aromas#6
Posted: 8/6/07 at 2:49pm
Moony - I was just thinking about that! I ALWAYS have a 64 box on hand re: Nostalgia and aromas
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nostalgia and aromas#7
Posted: 8/6/07 at 2:51pm
How about the aroma of an old Five and Ten? The creaky floors, the smell of oil cloth and perhaps camphor? Wow! I haven't thought of that in decades!
mominator Profile Photomominator Profile Photo
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nostalgia and aromas#8
Posted: 8/6/07 at 2:52pm
"Crayola crayons", "Old-fashioned hardware stores", "card catalogues " Wow 3 of my happiest memories are associated with all of these, and they happen to be mentioned by 3 of my favorite people! Maybe it is the weather here today (dull, gray and wet) I also love the smell of used bookstores (especially on days like today!)
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nostalgia and aromas#9
Posted: 8/6/07 at 2:54pm
Dolly,

You had snatches in your childhood?

I spent 9 months in there, that was enough for me.
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
JohnBoy2 Profile PhotoJohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nostalgia and aromas#10
Posted: 8/6/07 at 2:54pm
Is there a single 5 and dime in exisitence in this country, anymore. I miss them.
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nostalgia and aromas#11
Posted: 8/6/07 at 3:00pm
Well JB2 there is still the Vermont Country Store. It is a modern throw back to the country stores, with wooden floors , wooly PJ's, and other stuff like that.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nostalgia and aromas#12
Posted: 8/6/07 at 3:05pm
We spent a few days in a small town in Northern California called Ferndale, which is largely refurbished as the small turn-of-the-century town it was. It was used for some of the filming of THE MAJESTIC, with Jim Carrey. They have a 'general store' that operates exactly as it did then - bins of hard candy, handmade soaps and home goods, the works. They've even tracked down many manufacturers of goods from that time period that still operate, and offer them for sale. We spent HOURS in that store alone.
Bluemoon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nostalgia and aromas#13
Posted: 8/6/07 at 3:06pm
And they have a website, too. But it has no aroma.
Vermont Country Store With No Aroma
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nostalgia and aromas#14
Posted: 8/6/07 at 3:10pm
The Vermont Country Store has been a family-owned business for several generations. Have you ever seen a picture of the boys who run it with their Dad? The Orton boys are mighty fine looking!
Raviolisun Profile PhotoRaviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nostalgia and aromas#15
Posted: 8/6/07 at 3:13pm
Expo markers always remind me of my kindergarten classroom.

There's a lip gloss that I have, which I don't use anymore, but I keep it around because every time I smell it, it reminds me of my early junior high days. There's another one that, for some reason, reminds me of Christmas.

Garlic and Cioppino always remind me of my Grandparent's house.

There's quite a few more that I'll try to think of.
One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nostalgia and aromas#16
Posted: 8/6/07 at 3:13pm
re: Nostalgia and aromas

The Orton Family

Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nostalgia and aromas#17
Posted: 8/6/07 at 3:14pm
What about the smell of a pencil case?
Bluemoon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nostalgia and aromas#18
Posted: 8/6/07 at 3:19pm
Niiiice. Very nice.

The Orton boys, that is. The pencil case is nice, too.
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nostalgia and aromas#19
Posted: 8/6/07 at 3:44pm
They DO grow them nice in Vermont don't they?
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nostalgia and aromas#20
Posted: 8/6/07 at 3:55pm
Woolworth stores:

To quote singer/songwriter Nanci Griffith, "They smell like popcorn and chewing gum rubbed around on the bottom of a leather-soled shoe."

Love it.

Other smells that take me back:

An old "carpet baggy" Hoover vacuum cleaner.

Paris by Yves Saint Lauren - My grandmother used to wear it, and whenever I catch a whiff, it's as though she's right here with me again.

Giorgio perfume - Same thing with my mom.

Agree conditioner --- takes me right back to the mid-70s.

That clay stuff we used to work with in school... and the plastic red & white checked drop cloths. Those smells take me right back to grade school.

Great thread!
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nostalgia and aromas#21
Posted: 8/6/07 at 4:01pm
Even though I am allergic... Freshly cut hay, so sweet and clean.
I am right back at my uncle's place in Landaff NH
Bluemoon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nostalgia and aromas#22
Posted: 8/6/07 at 4:02pm
We sniffed mimiographed paper - the ones with the purple print. I'm sure an entire generation will pay the price, health-wise.

It was worth it.
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Nostalgia and aromas#23
Posted: 8/6/07 at 4:06pm
I always thought that Sister Marie John was sniffing something!
gymdudeva
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Nostalgia and aromas#24
Posted: 8/6/07 at 6:09pm
Has anyone else gone through something similar?

It's called "involuntary memory": when a taste, aroma, sound, etc. transports you back.

A well-known example is in Proust's A la Recherche du Temps Perdu (In Search of Lost Time). The narrator bites into a madeleine (a little cake), and memories of his childhood rush back. (These memories are then examined in seven volumes....)

involuntary memory article: Wikipedia
Updated On: 8/6/07 at 06:09 PM