Page: 1

bless you, Lee Hazlewood

n69n Profile Photon69n Profile Photo
n69n
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
bless you, Lee Hazlewood#1
Posted: 8/6/07 at 7:47am
one of my favorite songwriters kicked the bucket on saturday.

i would rate the NANCY & LEE albums & his COWBOY & THE LADY with Ann-Margret as treasured records & huge influences on how i live my life & art.

this is the bulletin posted by his official myspace.

" It is with great sadness that we announce that LEE HAZLEWOOD has died peacefully at his home outside Las Vegas, USA, after a three year struggle with cancer. He celebrated his 78th birthday earlier this month surrounded by family and friends from around the world. He passed away on August 4th, 2007, in Henderson, Nevada, and is survived by his son Mark, his daughters Debbie and Samantha, and his devoted wife Jeane.

For over half a century, LEE HAZLEWOOD proved himself to be one of the most ingenious, inspired and impressively stubborn sons-of-a-bitch the music industry ever saw. His career – a word that HAZLEWOOD himself scorned – saw him take on almost every aspect of the music industry – a word that HAZLEWOOD himself was equally dismissive of – and come out on top every time. Most famous for his work with Nancy Sinatra – he wrote and produced many of her biggest hits, including These Boots Were Made For Walking, Sugartown and the unforgettable Some Velvet Morning – HAZLEWOOD in fact started his musical career as a DJ in Coolidge, Arizona. It was here he first met Duane Eddy, with whom he began to flesh out and record some of his songs. In 1955 he set up Viv Records and in 1956 hit paydirt with Sanford Clark’s legendary The Fool, and the following year he gave up DJing to focus on production and writing. In the early 1960s he established the LHI label (which is best known for having released the debut album by Gram Parson’s first group, The International Submarine Band) and began releasing his own solo albums, including the extraordinary "Trouble Is A Lonesome Town".

In the mid sixties, in the face of The British Invasion (led by the likes of The Beatles), HAZLEWOOD retired to the shadows (where he was always most comfortable) only to be reluctantly dragged out to work with Nancy Sinatra. Their work together – including the iconic Boots – was an overnight success and saw her become a star in her own right worldwide, but she also insisted that HAZLEWOOD step out in front of the microphone himself, leading to the release of three "Nancy & Lee" albums.

In the early 1970s HAZLEWOOD moved to Sweden to ensure his son was not drafted by the US military. He recorded a series of solo albums there as well as collaborating with film director Torbjörn Axelman, but then ‘retired’ again, working only occasionally over the next two decades. Instead he began to follow an itinerant lifestyle which he pursued until very recently, living in Ireland, Germany, Spain and of course America. However it was the rediscovery of this work two decades later by a new generation of musicians – including the likes of Sonic Youth, whose drummer Steve Shelley tracked HAZLEWOOD down and reissued a number of his solo albums on his Smells Like Records imprint – that led to a resurgence of interest in his work as a performer. In the late 90s he returned to the studio to record the typically cryptically titled standards album "Farmisht, Flatulence, Origami, ARF!!! and Me", and in 1999 he returned to the stage at the invitation of Nick Cave who was curating that year’s Meltdown Festival in London. Following a sold out show at the Royal Festival Hall he sanctioned the release of two albums of unreleased material, most notably "For Every Solution There’s A Problem", toured Europe, and then returned to the studio to record his final album, "Cake Or Death", which was released to worldwide acclaim in 2006.

HAZLEWOOD’s music has always been a staple of movie soundtracks, but it has continued to become more and more fashionable, regularly turning up in films as diverse as The Dukes Of Hazzard – which saw Jessica Simpson perform These Boots Were Made For Walking for the title track – and the arthouse flick Morvern Callar – which used Some Velvet Morning to great effect.

The family have requested that those wishing to honour LEE HAZLEWOOD should make donations to the Salvation Army…

Kiss all the pretty ones goodbye
Give everyone a penny that cry
You can throw all my tranquil' pills away
Let my blood pressure go on its way
For my autumn's done come
My autumn’s done come.
Lee Hazlewood, My Autumn’s Done Come"

If you would also like to send messages of condolence to the family you may do so by emailing HeMovesAround@gmail.com

Lee Hazlewood Official Myspace
i want to make thngs that count
- George, SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE
Dark_Angel Profile PhotoDark_Angel Profile Photo
Dark_Angel
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: bless you, Lee Hazlewood#2
Posted: 8/6/07 at 9:22am
Wow so sorry to hear about this. I'm also a fan of Hazlewood's especially his cuts with Nancy. I was just listening to SUMMER WINE yesterday morning. I only have one track from the infamous COWBOY AND THE LADY Lp he recorded with the great A-M: Walk On Outta My Mind.

May he rest in peace. He leaves quite a legacy.
jimnysf
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: bless you, Lee Hazlewood#2
Posted: 8/6/07 at 9:46am
Sorry to hear about this. I didn't hear a word about this on the news.

re: bless you, Lee Hazlewood

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.
Updated On: 8/6/07 at 09:46 AM
miss pennywise Profile Photomiss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: bless you, Lee Hazlewood#4
Posted: 8/20/07 at 10:51am
Caldwell B. Cladwell was very upset when he heard this.

I used to play my 45 of "Sugartown" over and over...and that was in the day when you had to lift the needle manually to start the record again.

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars
StageManager2 Profile PhotoStageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: bless you, Lee Hazlewood#5
Posted: 8/20/07 at 11:10am
Just how OLD are you, miss p?
Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia
miss pennywise
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: bless you, Lee Hazlewood#6
Posted: 8/20/07 at 11:11am
StageManager2,

SHUT UP!

~ Best12Bars
StageManager2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: bless you, Lee Hazlewood#7
Posted: 8/20/07 at 11:13am
No, you look GREAT for whatever age you are.
Salve, Salve Regina
O clemens O pia
miss pennywise
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: bless you, Lee Hazlewood#8
Posted: 8/20/07 at 11:15am
Okay, keep talkin'.

~ Best12Bars
StageManager2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: bless you, Lee Hazlewood#9
Posted: 8/20/07 at 11:18am
Remember, I used to picture you as an old lady? Then we met and I was like DAMN! You're one hot MILF.
Salve, Salve Regina
O clemens O pia
miss pennywise
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: bless you, Lee Hazlewood#10
Posted: 8/20/07 at 11:21am
Yeah, you used to think I looked like someone from the cast of "The Golden Girls"! I remember that now.

~ Best12Bars
n69n
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: bless you, Lee Hazlewood#11
Posted: 8/20/07 at 11:22am
maybe they will release his swedish television specials on dvd now.
they had a showing of them a few years ago @ FILM FORUM & they were sooooo funny!!!!
i want to make thngs that count
- George, SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE
n69n
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: bless you, Lee Hazlewood#12
Posted: 11/16/07 at 8:16am
press release from RHINO HANDMADE!

Rhino Handmade Celebrates Beloved Music Maverick Lee Hazlewood with a Two-Disc Set Spotlighting His Solo Albums for Reprise, Along with Singles He Produced for Others, Including Duane Eddy, Deana Martin, Sanford Clark and More

Available December 4 Exclusively From Rhino Handmade

LOS ANGELES — Lee Hazlewood was one of pop and country music’s greatest enigmas. Raconteur, producer, songwriter, humorist, commercial artisan, and wildcat visionary, Hazlewood was a maverick whose body of work covers a ground-breaking half-century of maneuvering within and without the music industry. Even at his most “successful,”—scoring hits and crafting personas with Duane Eddy and Nancy Sinatra, writing “Houston” for Deana Martin, or following his own wanderlusting solo muse—he seemed like an outsider who had infiltrated the castle keep. Rhino Handmade pays tribute to this beloved iconoclastic with a two-disc set featuring music Hazlewood recorded and produced for Reprise between 1964-68. Unfortunately, the tribute is a posthumous one, as Hazlewood passed away earlier this year while the compilation was still being finalized. STRUNG OUT ON SOMETHING NEW: THE REPRISE RECORDINGS will be available as an individually numbered, limited-edition of 5,000 copies on December 4 exclusively at www.rhinohandmade.com for a suggested retail price of $39.98.

The first disc opens with the 10 songs from Hazlewood’s first proper solo release for Reprise, 1964’s The N.S.V.I.P.s (Not So Very Important People). Backed by Al Casey’s 12-string guitar, Hazlewood mixes his gallows humor with affectionate pokes at small-town life. “Just Bluesin’” captures just the right tone of dissolution and salvation, when life is balanced between what you can’t change and where it’s all going to wind up, and you have the space of a song to step outside of yourself and sing along.

Friday’s Child, from the spring of 1965, is a more cohesive and traditional singer-songwriter album. It shows that in a country-pop scene increasingly crossed over by Roger Miller, Lee’s whimsical turn of phrase and conversational singing voice might have had a real chance at a breakthrough on his own. The album features not only Hazlewood compositions – one of which, “Houston,” was about to pass through Sanford Clark on its way to Dean Martin – but also clever songs by Nashville tunesmith and fisherman Harlan Howard (“Sally Was A Good Old Girl”), Bobby Darin (“Since You’re Gone”), and an “I’m Blue” written by Duane Eddy’s then-wife, Miriam. The disc closes with a trio of songs Hazlewood produced for Sanford Clark, plus “A Stranger In Your Town,” the 1966 single by The Vanguards that Hazlewood co-wrote.

The second disc kick off with four rare singles from the late-’60s, including Bobbie Gentry’s “Ode To Billie Joe,” which shows Hazlewood’s affinity for the gothic rural story-song; and “I Am, You Are,” a philosophical declaiming worthy of a Neil Diamond.

After helping Nancy Sinatra achieve extraordinary success, both as her producer and duet partner on Nancy And Lee, Hazlewood returned to Reprise to make his album, Love And Other Crimes. Recorded in Paris, the album features a stellar cast of session players, including Hal Blaine on drums, Don Randi on piano, and the great James Burton on electric guitar, who is given a bluesy volume-swell showcase in “Rosacoke Street.” Among the standout cuts are two standards, “Morning Dew” and the more traditional lounge atmospherics of “She’s Funny That Way.”

The remainder of the second disc spotlights songs Hazlewood produced for a long list of talented artists, including Jack Nitzsche (“Zapata”), The Wildcats (“What Are We Gonna Do In ’64?”), The Whisk Kids (“Bo-Dacious”), Deana Martin (“Baby I See You”), along with his theme for the film Our Man Flint, in which Hazlewood expertly uses bongos to create suspense. The set also contains several songs that reunite Hazlewood and Duane Eddy, such as “This Guitar Was Made For Twangin’,” “Monsoon,” “Guitar On My Mind,” and “This Town.”

Writing in the liner notes, Lenny Kaye articulates Hazlewood’s magic: “Lee’s triumph, as a producer and an artist, is the reflection he held up to anyone with whom he worked, including himself, the truths revealed in a lifetime of creative exploration and singular imagination.”

STRUNG OUT ON SOMETHING NEW: THE REPRISE RECORDINGS
Track Listing

Disc 1
1. “First Street Blues”
2. “I Had A Friend”
3. “I’m Gonna Fly”
4. “Go Die Big City”
5. “I Ain’t Gonna Be”
6. “Have You Made Any New Bombs Today?”
7. “Everybody Calls Me Something”
8. “Save Your Vote For Clarence Mudd”
9. “I Might Break Even”