Page: 1

I Wanna Get Married

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile PhotoCaroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I Wanna Get Married#1
Posted: 8/4/07 at 2:22am
For anyone who's heard Nellie Mckay's "I Wanna Get Married" (or Audra's cover of it on her new album)-

don't you think it sounds like a number straight out of a "golden age" musical?

it's wild. she's crazy talented.
"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed
Izzy's Baby Profile PhotoIzzy's Baby Profile Photo
Izzy's Baby
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: I Wanna Get Married#2
Posted: 8/4/07 at 2:28am
re: I Wanna Get Married

*weds her pants*

D2 Profile PhotoD2 Profile Photo
D2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: I Wanna Get Married#2
Posted: 8/4/07 at 10:35am
It's from this show from the 40's:
Follow the Girls
Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)
singingwendy Profile Photosingingwendy Profile Photo
singingwendy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: I Wanna Get Married#3
Posted: 8/4/07 at 10:45am
Are you sure? Because it mentions "Leave it to Beaver" and "Danielle Steele", neither of which would have been around in the 1940's.

I agree, it's a cute song though.
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: I Wanna Get Married#4
Posted: 8/4/07 at 10:46am
I don't think that song is from "Follow the Girls" unless Dan Shapiro, Milton Pascal and Phil Charig (The lyricists) had access to a time machine. She mentions Danielle Steele and the Brady Bunch.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
D2 Profile PhotoD2 Profile Photo
D2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: I Wanna Get Married#5
Posted: 8/4/07 at 10:46am
There's a song in that show called "I Wanna Get Married" - the lyrics may have been changed/updated.

Then again, I could be wrong. It's happened before. re: I Wanna Get Married
Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)
broadwaybaby086
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: I Wanna Get Married#6
Posted: 8/4/07 at 11:33am
Yeah, the one referenced here was definitely written by Nellie McKay, as she's said that she was "sick" when she wrote it. Haha, who would ever want to be a wife? Gotta love Nellie. Best sense of humor ever.

Regardless, I love the song- both Nellie's and the Audra cover. However, I'd also like to hear the one you're talking about D2! I'll look around for it.
"I'll cut you, Tracee Beazer!!!! ...Just kidding. I'd never cut anyone." -Tina Maddigan, 9/30/06, WS stage door
Avatar: JULIE "EFFING" WHITE, 2007 TONY WINNER. Thank God. I'm thinking about legally changing my name to Lizzie Curry...
Ivan the Wonderful Profile PhotoIvan the Wonderful Profile Photo
Ivan the Wonderful
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: I Wanna Get Married#7
Posted: 8/4/07 at 11:36am
I wanna get married too. But it is not legal yet. We had a ceremony with just the two of us and Ivan's mother who cried all the way through it. She said it was the hapiest day of her life.
"you freakin freaks. get a ****in life. theres more to life than this stupid website." stage manager 2
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: I Wanna Get Married#8
Posted: 8/4/07 at 11:40am
Why are you referring to yourself in the third person?
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
Ivan the Wonderful
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: I Wanna Get Married#9
Posted: 8/4/07 at 11:45am
Are you talking to me?
What do you mean?
"you freakin freaks. get a ****in life. theres more to life than this stupid website." stage manager 2
mateo Profile Photomateo Profile Photo
mateo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: I Wanna Get Married#10
Posted: 8/4/07 at 12:13pm
Finding Namo- Ivan is not his name, it's his partners name.
"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"
DannyBoy82 Profile PhotoDannyBoy82 Profile Photo
DannyBoy82
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: I Wanna Get Married#11
Posted: 8/4/07 at 12:15pm
I just brought Audra's version of Itunes. It's a adorable, I want to listen to it over and over. I can't seem to find the other version though.
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: I Wanna Get Married#12
Posted: 8/4/07 at 1:05pm
it's from Nellie McKay's album "Get Away From Me" which, if you haven't heard it, is totally BRILLIANT. One of my favorites. Nellie's has such a funny sense of humor (Clonie, anyone?)

yeah, it's definatly an original composition (it says so in the cd insert) but that's funny that there is a song of the same name written in the 40s! hahah, I'd love to hear that version
"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed
Ivan the Wonderful
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: I Wanna Get Married#13
Posted: 8/4/07 at 1:15pm
Why would anyone name a baby Nellie?
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: I Wanna Get Married#14
Posted: 8/4/07 at 1:23pm
same reason someone would namea baby Ivan?
sondheimboy2 Profile Photosondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: I Wanna Get Married#15
Posted: 8/5/07 at 2:20am
No, the Nellie McKay/Audra song is not the same one that was in "Follow the Girls"

I often feel the lyrics to the "Follow the Girls" song: "They say that married life/Is what one makes it/I know I've got what it takes/But no one takes it"
"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba
Wanna Be A Foster Profile PhotoWanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: I Wanna Get Married#16
Posted: 8/5/07 at 6:19am
re: I Wanna Get Married

My All Time Favorite Movie of 1985
"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
StageManager2 Profile PhotoStageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: I Wanna Get Married#17
Posted: 8/5/07 at 6:25am
You actually like a movie, Foster? *amazed*
Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva