Page: 1

SHORT CUTS

Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
SHORT CUTS#1
Posted: 8/1/07 at 3:14am
SHORT CUTS

Just watched this for the first time. Holy ****. Amazing film.

I want to see it again...

Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: SHORT CUTS#2
Posted: 8/1/07 at 3:25am
Altman's most disturbing film, that's for sure.
Roscoe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: SHORT CUTS#2
Posted: 8/1/07 at 9:08am
Tell me more. What exactly about the film did you like? What makes it Altman's "most disturbing film"? Is there anything about the film you didn't like?
"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: SHORT CUTS#3
Posted: 8/1/07 at 9:30am
I loved Huey Lewis's Johnson.
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: SHORT CUTS#4
Posted: 8/1/07 at 1:20pm
Sorry, I would have gone more in depth had it not been written at 3 or 4 in the morning.

This movie was completely mind-blowing. Just about every third or fourth film that comes out nowadays owes its entire existence to this film specifically and Altman in general. This was a powerfully disturbing portrait of a society completely cut off and alienated from one another. Where simple communication cannot be accomplished.

Out of this world rises a spirit of pleasure seeking. The only ambition is a way to get to that next orgasm or to that next trail of coke. It is a world where the men become empowered by their own sexual deviancies and the women are struck down for their supposed weaknesses. It is through these ways that these people attempt to cope with modern-day life, by taking the easiest possible routes.....or "short cuts".

The acting was completely mind-blowing. Even Andie MacDowell was somehow able to give a good performance.

By "most disturbing", I meant that the film has a constant uneasy tone, something "big" may not be happening, but it always feels like it could. Tragedy just seems on the horizon, and that is a feeling that Altman is able to stretch out over all three hours, and keep you constantly on edge.

God, I miss Altman.
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: SHORT CUTS#5
Posted: 8/1/07 at 1:52pm
Possibly my favorite Altman film. I'm surprised you haven't seen it until now. The cast was incredible (Tom Waits, Lyle Lovett AND Huey Lewis!). Standouts for me were Julianne Moore and Lily Tomlin.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Roscoe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: SHORT CUTS#6
Posted: 8/1/07 at 3:18pm
Thanks for the update, Cruel. I prefer NASHVILLE, myself. Far more interesting than anything he did before or since. All those people who can only connect through song. Gwen Welles is absolutely heart-breaking in it, one of the most under-rated performances in movies.

SHORT CUTS feels like Altman Lite. The multiple narratives remain multiple, never really coming together or building to a real climax. That earthquake thing, I mean really. It felt more like a desperate need for a BIG FINISH than anything else. Lots of very fine actors (and Jack Lemmon) doing lots of ACTING to little avail.
"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/
Updated On: 8/1/07 at 03:18 PM
Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: SHORT CUTS#7
Posted: 8/1/07 at 3:27pm
Dammit. That phrase always pisses me off. "Doing lots of ACTING" You're not saying WHY his performance was bad or if it even was at all. No, you're just saying that he was acting in an intensely dramatic scene. And what is wrong with that?
Roscoe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: SHORT CUTS#8
Posted: 8/1/07 at 3:51pm
There's nothing wrong with acting in an intensely dramatic scene. I like actors acting in intensely dramatic scenes. I just don't like it when people act BADLY in intensely dramatic scenes, especially when the scenes in question start to feel more like acting classes than something integrated into a completely realized motion picture. The kind of showy "Look Ma I'm Acting!!" sort of thing that, to me, characterizes a lot of Altman's films.

For example, there's that big scene with Jack Lemmon talking and talking and talking while Bruce Davison sits and listens. I find Bruce Davison's quiet underplaying, simply listening and reacting, to be far more interesting than Lemmon's more overt emoting.

I don't have a problem with bigger acting choices, it's just that sometimes they don't always work for me. I'll watch Johnny Depp's Capt. Jack Sparrow over and over and always get a lot of pleasure out of it, while William Hurt's over-the-top camping turn in A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE very nearly ruined the film for me.

Updated On: 8/1/07 at 03:51 PM
Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: SHORT CUTS#9
Posted: 8/24/07 at 3:09am
Bump.
Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: SHORT CUTS#10
Posted: 10/27/07 at 5:18am