Page: 1

Peter Pan, Fanny, Silk Stockings, The Boy Friend and the Baird Puppets!

BigFatBlonde Profile PhotoBigFatBlonde Profile Photo
BigFatBlonde
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Once upon a time when cast recordings were very popular...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CztK-raeAhg

What great ones do the less will prattle of
Updated On: 7/31/07 at 10:27 PM
sondheimboy2 Profile Photosondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thank You,B.F.B.!!!

That was so freakin' cool!!!

Television commercials for original cast albums...

Wasn't it great being civilized?
"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I loved the Bill Baird marionettes.
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I saw the Baird Marionettes in Kansas City when I was a kid. It was a wonderful, full-length production of Pinocchio!

Thanks for sharing this, BFB!

Can you imagine somebody doing this spot today, with puppets for Wicked, Hairspray, Jersey Boys and Spring Awakening? GOD, I would love that.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
BigFatBlonde
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I understand that it was broadcast at the end of the original Peter Pan telecast.

Has anyone seen the original B&W version? Was it different from the color version?
CapnHook Profile PhotoCapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It's different in that the staging is different. The 1960 color version was filmed just for TV and wasn't with a live audience.
"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle
BigFatBlonde
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I didn't know the original Broadcast was with a live audience. I need to see this!
sondheimboy2 Profile Photosondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Though, what's with the guy patting the "Silk Stockings" marionette on the butt at the end of the commercial?

What was he thinking? "Gee, that's a nice a piece of wooden ass she's got there...."
"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba
CapnHook Profile PhotoCapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Did you just say...."the guy"????
"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle