Chief Justice John Roberts has suffered a seizure and is hospitalized in Maine, the Supreme Court says

DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Updated On: 7/30/07 at 07:24 PM
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family at this difficult time.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mine are on my dinner (vegan pad thai, YUM) and Wife Swap (peace family versus war family). But I can multi-task. What are we supposed to do? Like, think about him so our thoughts are "with" him somehow?
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
DAME,

Are you on the Old Folk Heath Watch or something?
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well.. today I was bored. But I have been thinking a lot of Bill Lavorgna.
HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
brdlwyr
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I hate his politics, which is what influences his votes, but I was once at the same restaurant when he was having dinner with his son and wife, so I guess I will send him positive thoughts!
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"No one is alone."

--Stephen Sondheim
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm not crzy about his politics, but I find him to be a very attractive man.

He's in my prayers.
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ugly people: No prayers for YOU!
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Exactly. Praying for ugly people is a waste of prayer.
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
St. George Ambulance responded to a call at about 2 p.m. Monday of a man who had fallen 5 to 10 feet and landed on a dock, hitting the back of his head. The patient was ashen and was foaming at the mouth. National news report quotes a Supreme Court spokeswoman as saying that Roberts was conscious the entire time of the incident. That spokeswoman has not returned a telephone call to the newspaper.
MaineCostNow.com: Chief Justice Roberts to spend night at hospital
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
But good looking people don't usually foam at the mouth. This is serious.
Wanna Be A Foster Profile PhotoWanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

It's just a seizure. NOT that big a deal. The press may like to make it out to be a big deal, but it's not.
"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
He's epileptic, like Yvette Mimieux in that Dr. Kildare episode

re:  Chief Justice John Roberts has suffered a seizure and is hospitalized

She was goodlooking too
JustAGuy Profile PhotoJustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"It's just a seizure. NOT that big a deal. The press may like to make it out to be a big deal, but it's not."

Unless of course you're driving on the interstate at 75mph, have a seizure and crash head-on into a bus full of young Republicans coming home from their support the war rally. THEN, it might be a big deal.
"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett
Wanna Be A Foster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
But he wasn't, so it's not.
"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
JustAGuy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"But he wasn't, so it's not."

You're right, they should have just left him on the dock, foaming at the mouth, no big deal. Why even bother to take him to a hospital, just take out a Kleenex, wipe his mouth and be on your way.
"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett
Updated On: 7/31/07 at 01:27 PM
Wanna Be A Foster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
They should have done that, in fact, and saved a lot of time, money and energy. When you have a seizure and are taken to the hospital, all they do is wait for you to wake up. They could have just done that and he would have been fine.
-Kad

JustAGuy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Call me crazy, but if I had a seizure, I'd sort of wanna know WHY!! I know, total waste of time, money and energy, but it would satisfy my curiosity.
Wanna Be A Foster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well, if he has Epilepsy like PalJoey said, then Roberts knows the reason why he had a seizure.
-Kad

JustAGuy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
According to several news outlets he suffered from "a benign idiopathic seizure" from an unknown cause not an epileptic seizure. Personally, I'd be wanting to find out the cause. Big deal or not.
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Time magazine article today: DOES JUSTICE ROBERTS HAVE EPILEPSY?

===

Tuesday, Jul. 31, 2007
Does Justice Roberts Have Epilepsy?
By Alice Park

When Chief Justice John Roberts experienced the second seizure of his life on Monday, he may have become, in medical terms, an epileptic. Doctors classify anyone who has experienced two or more unexplained seizures as having epilepsy, a disorder in which the electrical activity of the brain is interrupted, similar to a surge on an electrical line, for brief periods of time. In some, but not all cases, this interruption can result in loss of consciousness or uncontrolled muscle spasms. Seizures can also be caused by more obvious events, such as a brain injury, fever, low blood sugar or lack of oxygen.

According to a spokesperson for the Penobscot Bay Medical Center in Maine, where the Chief Justice was taken after his seizure caused him to fall onto a dock at his summer home, Roberts was fully recovered and did not seem to show any lasting effects from the brain episode. His seizure, as well as an earlier episode that occurred 14 years ago, were described as being "benign idiopathic," meaning that their cause is unknown.

The diagnosis of epilepsy, say experts, may not necessarily mean that Roberts will have to take anti-seizure medication, which can control the electrical activity of the brain, or have to be concerned that future events will impair his ability to function on the Supreme Court. "Epilepsy diagnosis is a meaningless term in this case," says Dr. Frank Gilliam, director of the epilepsy center at Columbia University Medical Center, who is not involved in the medical care of Justice Roberts. He notes that 1% of the U.S. population is diagnosed with epilepsy, and one-third of these cases are relatively benign and do not require treatment. "It's a wastebasket term for anyone who has had two or more unprovoked seizures."

Understanding the circumstances under which the two seizures occurred will help doctors to better determine whether or not Roberts will need medication, but doctors say that in 50% of epilepsy cases, the cause remains a mystery. Roberts had been traveling extensively prior arriving in Maine for vacation, but whether or not jet lag or fatigue played a role in triggering his seizure isn't clear.

In deciding whether or not Roberts needs medication to control future episodes, his doctors will also consider the lengthy gap between his two events. "What's unusual in this case is the long delay between the first seizure and the second," says Dr. Jacqueline French, a neurologist at University of Pennsylvania and co-chair of the American Academy of Neurology's guidelines committee, which helps doctors decide when and how to treat seizures. "Typically, if two seizures have occurred close together, there is an up to 80% likelihood that there will be a third, and an almost 100% likelihood that medication will be started." In Roberts' case, a careful look at the EEG, a read-out of his brain wave activity, could help; any abnormalities in the EEG increase the likelihood of another seizure, says French, and would argue for starting drug treatment. There are more than 20 anti-seizure medications from which Roberts and his physicians can now chose; some work to corral the hyperactivity in one area of the brain, while others prevent the electrical anomalies from occurring to begin with. All have to be taken daily, but have relatively mild side effects.
Does Justice Roberts Have Epilepsy?
JustAGuy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
So, I'm guessing that he (Roberts) along with the doctors, do not know the actual cause, but epilepsy is being considered. I dunno, but if I were diagnosed with epilepsy, I'd consider it kind of a big deal.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There goes the strobe lights at The Star Chamber Disco.