Page: 1

To anyone turning 18 or first-time voters...(ask the dumb questions here)

CapnHook Profile PhotoCapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It is SO important that you VOTE! If you are at all a competent person and have been for the past 8 years, then you know the HELL we are living in.

Know the candidates. Know the issues. Start NOW. Get ready to VOTE for a better America.

Use this thread to ask any questions on how to register to vote, absentee voting for college students, questions about candidates, anything regarding this VERY IMPORTANT election in 2008.

But remember, THE TIME STARTS NOW to research your candidates! Here are some places to start:

The Democratic candidates had a CNN/YouTube questioning sessions where REAL people like you and me asked the questions on YouTube and they responded. I think they are planning one with the Republican candidates, too. Check out the different videos here:

http://www.youtube.com/debates

For a list of candidates, their bios, and their plans for a better America, visit:

http://www.votesmart.org

To input your sides on issues and see which candidate might be your match, visit:

http://www.selectsmart.com/president/2008.html

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle
Updated On: 7/24/07 at 05:38 PM
mominator Profile Photomominator Profile Photo
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Please do!! Know the issues and the candidates. Remember you can not complain if you did not vote.
To the young women, remember women went to jail for you right to vote! So remember to register and take part and be heard!
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien
iHeartMyGeek Profile PhotoiHeartMyGeek Profile Photo
iHeartMyGeek
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This is the same thing I have been telling my peers for over a year. We will turn eighteen in time to vote in the 2008 presidential election and I try to tell them how very important it is that we are involved in politics and we care about voting because it's our rights and government that hang in the balance. I so often get responses like, "I just don't see how it affects me." or "I don't see a candidate that I can identify with." But, for the most part, they couldn't name three people that are running. It's just so frustrating because I really do care and keep up with issues and candidates and it makes me sad to realize how few of my peers will actually vote and vote with thir brains next November. But I'll give you my word--I WILL vote and I will think long and hard about my chosen candidate.

Thank you, CapnHook, for posting this thread!
"I can't figure out what kind of life this is, comedy or tragedy, I just know it's showbiz. And what if I don't agree with the lines I have to read? They don't pay me enough, the way I see it."
RENTingFAME Profile PhotoRENTingFAME Profile Photo
RENTingFAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I would like to add to the list:
Measure your life in love, RENTheads, and keep it always in your heart.

Avatar: Me with Al Larson, Jonathan Larson's father.
CapnHook
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Add what to the list? Your copy/paste didn't work...
"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle
Raviolisun Profile PhotoRaviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I get people to vote for me.
One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015
artscallion Profile Photoartscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks for starting this thread, Capn. It is important.

Register to vote at either of these sites:

http://www.declareyourself.com/?gclid=CPebnvu6wY0CFQJwUAodISLdNg

http://www.rockthevote.com/
Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.
Wanna Be A Foster Profile PhotoWanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Question:

Which candidates are going to stand up for my right to exist?
"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
dancingthrulife04 Profile Photodancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thank you for posting this thread! I turned 18 in January and registered to vote a few days after my birthday. None of my other friends seem to care about voting or politics in general.
http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler
madbrian Profile Photomadbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A message to ALL voters: it is important to vote EVERY year, not just every four years at presidential elections. Local, county, and state elections are just as important, and can even have a greater impact on your day-to-day life.
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
CapnHook
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hah, after starting this thread I now have a question: two of my friends want to register as Democrats. However at the last election one registered as a Rep and the other as an Independent. How do they UNregister for their parties and register for the Dem party?
--Aristotle
ComaBaby01 Profile PhotoComaBaby01 Profile Photo
ComaBaby01
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I haven't gotten my card yet... And I registered in, like, April. And I've already gotten letters from my local Democratic office. Should I have received a card yet? Or should I call someone?
"Love all; Trust a few; Do wrong to none." --William Shakespeare
CapnHook
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks - they took care of their registration. And I took care of my absentee voting.
--Aristotle
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
bump
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
don't worry. no matter how you register you'll all vote republican. muah-hahahahahahahaha *cough-cough* hahaha
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
CapnHook
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
FOUR MORE YEARS!
--Aristotle
CapnHook
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BUMP
--Aristotle
Mythus
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thank you for this thread, Capn...the other night, Barack Obama was on Jay Leno, and my dad asked, "If you could vote in the next election, who would you vote for?" I thought about it and I wasn't sure. And then I realized, wait, I can vote in the next election! I turn 18 in 8 days. I've spent so long not really paying attention to the presidential elections that I forgot I needed to, this time. Boy, I've got to get moving.

I took that SelectSmart quiz and it told me I matched with the "Theoretical Ideal Candidate". Well, that's good. Barack Obama had 80% and Hillary had 72%. Hmmm...
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
As the old timer, I'll add one bit of advice- don't just vote by positions on the issues. The president is more than a legislator. Vote for the candidate that you'd be proud to represnt all of us on the world stage- the candidate you think can lead us for the next four years.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.