Mad Cow Madness

Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mad Cow Madness#0
Posted: 12/24/03 at 6:36pm
People are so naive. One cow out west & all of a sudden no more Mc Donalds. Mc Donalds isn't meat anyhow so what is the big fuss

All kidding aside, we can psyche ourselves into anything. I would eat a steak right now if I had one.
Poster Emeritus
Amneris Profile PhotoAmneris Profile Photo
Amneris
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mad Cow Madness#1
Posted: 12/24/03 at 10:10pm
my aunt is a mad cow.
son_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photoson_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photo
son_of_a_gunn_25
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: Mad Cow Madness#2
Posted: 12/24/03 at 10:27pm
Just means shorter lines at McDonald's for me! I had three double cheesburgers this afternoon. I'll die from a heart attack before I die of Mad Cow. MMMM I love McDonald's I can just feel my arteries clogging with its oh so good food.re: re: Mad Cow Madness
My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...
Amneris
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: Mad Cow Madness#3
Posted: 12/24/03 at 10:30pm
and you are so thin. Bless your heart. If i smell a fry from the outside of the restaurant id gain weight.
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: Mad Cow Madness#4
Posted: 12/24/03 at 10:41pm
I can beat that Amneris... ya know how that cow got mad cow disease?? My mother bit the damn thing on the leg.
Amneris
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: Mad Cow Madness#5
Posted: 12/24/03 at 10:43pm
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: re: Mad Cow Madness#6
Posted: 12/24/03 at 11:10pm
I urge you Roxy to eat as much raw cow brain and spinal fluid as humanly possible. Piss off PETA.
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There are definitely some mad cows on this board. (I won't name names). =D
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yea JRB - I wonder who
Poster Emeritus
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Amneris: Would you do us a favor, and add a little mint jelly to the photo icon by your name please? I mean come on, the economy is in free-fall over this hysteria. There are all kinds of patriotism. Do your part. Help us make lamb attractive again--for something besides barnyard Practice Nookie in the Ozarks.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
DofB5
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mad Cow Madness#10
Posted: 12/25/03 at 11:20am
Well, I'm trying to cut back and since I'm going to start (yet another) diet after the first of year I wasn't planning on going to McD's as often anyway but it has nothing to do with Mad Cow.

D

FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mad Cow Madness#11
Posted: 12/25/03 at 11:25am
Yet another coffee spit take at the computer screen, courtesey of Auggie.
JoizeyActor Profile PhotoJoizeyActor Profile Photo
JoizeyActor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: Mad Cow Madness#12
Posted: 12/25/03 at 11:37pm
Being a vegetarian has never looked better. Its unfortunate that I hate a lot of green vegetables, though. I can't live without the ruthless slaughter of animals for my stomach's satisfaction! I just can't. Damnit!
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: Mad Cow Madness#13
Posted: 12/27/03 at 2:13pm
They're doing REMARKABLE things with textured vegetable protein. I microwaved a platter of Morningstar Farms Vegetarian Mini Corndogs for a platter two Xmas Eve's ago, and NOBODY knew they were veggie. The assorted Boca Burger varieties are scrumptionos, as are the Boca Italian or Smoked Sausages. When you prep em with the "In The Skillet" directions, you'd think they were fresh off the cart on a NY street corner.

As for the people making the jokes about it being "one cow," it's important to know that this disease has an incubation period of four to five years. This "one cow" could just be the canary in the coal mine. Pretending it's nothing, may be the most naive thing of all.
ErikJ972 Profile PhotoErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: Mad Cow Madness#14
Posted: 12/28/03 at 4:11pm
From the BBC:
"The US Government has expanded its recall of beef after the discovery of its first case of "mad cow" disease.
Officials had said the meat from the infected cow, slaughtered on 9 December in Washington State, went to Oregon, California, Nevada and Washington.

They have now determined that meat from the same facility, killed on the same day, went to Alaska, Hawaii, Montana, Idaho and the territory of Guam.

It is unclear how much meat could have been shipped to the additional states. "
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: Mad Cow Madness#15
Posted: 12/28/03 at 4:44pm
The territory of Guam eats our beef? The things you learn here!

And yes, Boca burgers are yummy, though you will get high blood pressure from the sodium content.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mad Cow Madness#16
Posted: 12/28/03 at 6:32pm
I'm not typically an alarmist, but the spot checking currently being done certainly doesn't make me comfortable that the one cow identified isn't the tip of the iceberg. To REALLY know the extent of the problem, every cow slaughtered would have to be tested...and tested responsibly.

There was an insightful article in the NY Times within the past few days. I don't have the link...only the text. If you are interested in reading it, PM me and I'll e-mail the text to you.

Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
lensman55 Profile Photolensman55 Profile Photo
lensman55
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Mad Cow Madness#17
Posted: 12/29/03 at 8:44am
I'm reminded of a joke my son told me;

Two cows are standing in a field, one turns to the other and says; "Say, are you worried about all this talk about Mad Cow Disease?"

The other cow looks at the first and says; "Why should I be worried about Mad Cow Disease? I'M A CHICKEN!!!!"
"Now and then life hits you on the back of the head with a sock full of wet porridge. How you handle that is up to you." - Tim Rice
LadyGuenevere
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: Mad Cow Madness#18
Posted: 12/29/03 at 9:04am
^ Haha Lensman, I love that joke! :)

But I ate steak yesterday, I heard that most steaks have 0% chance of being infected anyways...
TheaterBaby Profile PhotoTheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: Mad Cow Madness#19
Posted: 12/29/03 at 3:12pm
I thought McDoalds' burgers were made of Kangaroo meat!? Who knew. re: re:  re: Mad Cow Madness
I'm having lamb with mint sauce for dinner tomorrow night. re: re:  re: Mad Cow Madness What a coincidence.
"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: Mad Cow Madness#20
Posted: 12/29/03 at 3:23pm
"But I ate steak yesterday, I heard that most steaks have 0% chance of being infected anyways..."

I'd be asking who is handing out such assurances. There are a lot people with vested interests in the cattle industry who have a great deal to lose if the public suddenly starts eating less beef. The ramifications would be profound.

I have recently eaten beef...so this isn't me being a self-righteous vegetarian. But I think that the chances of the risk being far GREATER than is being publicized is the most likely scenario. For me, it's time to forego the burgers.
LadyGuenevere
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: Mad Cow Madness#21
Posted: 12/29/03 at 3:30pm
iflitifloat-

Sorry, I should have made myself a little clearer on it. :-/

I was reading something on the fact that the parts of a 'mad cow' that are harmful to eat are the spinal cord and parts of the brain. There are parts of steak that weren't made from the spinal cord and brain (or the areas near them)...those are safer to eat, although if something infected got into them- the risk is greater.

I think that hot dogs are the places where the greatest risk lies...if I remember the report right.

~L
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: Mad Cow Madness#22
Posted: 12/29/03 at 5:52pm
My wife & I both had 10 ounce Uno Burgers at Pizzeria Uno ( Chain) the other day & they were great. So you stay away from meat . You can get hit by a drunk driver or die in a plane crash or get shot by a sniper. When it is your time, that is it no matter how many precautions you take. All the people who jog to keep healthy will one day go also no matter how much running they do. Bottom line is enjoy your life now & what will be will be
Poster Emeritus
DofB5
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: re: Mad Cow Madness#23
Posted: 12/29/03 at 5:55pm
Eat healthy, exercise regularly, take your vitamins, die anyway. I think that about sums it up.

D
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: re: Mad Cow Madness#24
Posted: 12/29/03 at 6:05pm
While it is true that a gazillion things can get you with no provocation, there *are* mortality precipitators that are self induced. Actually, if you are downing those 10 oz UnoBurgers with any regularity, the more immediate concern is that you are clogging your coronaries and setting yourself up for a heart attack. I see it, first hand, every day. Everyone thinks they're exempt, until the chest pain hits. The Mad Cow threat is just the icing on this particular cake.