"Here's the rest of your fur coat."

Horsey!!!
Stand-by
Stand-by
"Here's the rest of your fur coat."#0
Posted: 11/30/03 at 1:38am
Has anyone seen these PETA wheat-paste posters up around town? Picture of a model holding a skinned animal with the caption underneath reading "Here's the rest of your fur coat." It's a wonderful advertisement for Animal Rights!
Alex the Cat Profile PhotoAlex the Cat Profile Photo
Alex the Cat
Understudy
Understudy
re: 'Here's the rest of your fur coat.'#1
Posted: 11/30/03 at 10:06pm
Fortunately not... but if I did I would rip it down... as I walked by in my shearling coat and leather boots, on my way to Michael Jordan's Steakhouse! These people are as irritating as the religious cult freaks who left a pamphlet on my front door. Why can't people just leave other people alone to live their lives as they see fit? I will eat/wear/think what I want, thanks very much.
TheaterBaby Profile PhotoTheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: 'Here's the rest of your fur coat.'#2
Posted: 11/30/03 at 10:32pm
I don't wear real fur because I think it feels creepy. But I have no problem wearing real leather or eating meat. re: re: 'Here's the rest of your fur coat.'
PETA people piss me off. You don't want to wear or eat animals that were once alive that's fine. And you can educate others about animal rights; but there is no need to throw paint on people's very expensive clothes. If we didn't eat the cows, they would just overpopulate and spread disease.
From the Simpsons: "If a cow could eat you, he would." lol
"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I would love to take the head of Peta out for dinner to Michael Jordan's Steakhouse & forcefeed her one of the biggest steaks I could find. That would shut her up

Better still have one of her furry creatures maul her to death & rip her to shreads . See if she still loves animals than.
Poster Emeritus
DofB5
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I have a very hard time with this. I love animals. I love meat. I don't honestly know if I could eat meat if I had to kill the animal myself.

I can't stand the idea of an animal suffering--like the dogs they skin alive over in China to make fur coats. They skin them alive because if the blood drys in the skin, the fur isn't as shinny. Tell me why anyone would want to wear a coat that badly to cause that much pain in a day and age when fake fur is available? At least with a cow, you use the meat ro eat and the skin to make clothing.

If we didn't eat the cows, they would just overpopulate and spread disease. One could say the same about us humans, only we just happen to be at the top of the food chain. I've often thought the shoe would be on the other foot if the table was turned and we were the ones being eaten.

Enough said. This is a very hot subject, to say the least and I don't want to preach.

D
Horsey!!!
Stand-by
Stand-by
If some of you saw the horribly cruel conditions in which these animals are forced to live before they are inhumanely slaughtered. You may change your tune. Go ahead...eat your meat that comes to you from a cow that was force-fed in a standing stall where it couldn't even lie down and probably never even saw the light of day. Pumped full of antibiotics and growth hormones.
Chickens stuffed 4 or 5 inside a cage so small that they can't even turn around and so filled with anxiety and fear that they eat each other's eyes out before they are submerged (alive) into tanks of acid to remove (disolve) their feathers. The choice is yours. Go ahead and perpetuate this cruelty, fear and suffering. It's your karma. Wouldn't you rather spread kindness and love?

Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all
evolution. Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages.
-Thomas Edison (inventor)

POSTER - "Here's the rest of your fur coat."
MasterLcZ Profile PhotoMasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Vegetarianism is a great idea in practice and I can no longer eat steak and lobster (my stomach just can't digest them) so it would not be that much of a hardship to give them up. And frankly I think wearing fur is pretentious and I don't wear it.

But the self-righteousness of vegans is just as unbearable. I remember a few years ago when two prim and earnest ladies in Vermont were arrested for animal cruelty - they had tried to force their cats into being vegetarians. Naturally their 20-plus cats were sickly and near-dead. Thank goodness the neighbors called the ASPCA!
"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
orion59 Profile Photoorion59 Profile Photo
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I often wonder why people think fur coats are attractive. All the debates about animal cruelty aside, they are ugly. There is nothing more ridiculous looking than seeing a fat little woman's head poking out from inside this massive pelt that covers her entire body (the only thing taht looks worse is a man in a fur coat). Honestly, no real person looks attractive in fur. It only barely looks good on a 6 foot model who weighs twenty pounds. Just keep in mind ladies, fur makes everyone look heavier so, there is a good reason to stop wearing it.

I do eat meat and wear leather but feel that the torture that fur bearing animals endure in order to be used as coats is horrible. To eat an animal or use the hide of cow that has been killed for food seems different to me than trapping a fox in a leg trap and letting it suffer in pain for days or clubbing a baby seal over the head. So I do agree with PETA's philosophy but certainly not with most of their actions. Putting up an ad as descibed in the original post is perfectly within their rights and nobody should feel they have a right to "Tear it down". In doing so, you're employing the same agressive and intrusive tactics that have gained PETA a bad reputation. Handing out pamphlets is also acceptable but, I agree taht throwing paint is totally out of line and should be treated as a crime.

http://www.danperezgallery.com
ErikJ972 Profile PhotoErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I have to agree with Orion on this one. There is a big difference between eating beef and wearing fur. Cattle livestock (with the exception of veal) are treated much more humanely than animals skinned for fur. In fact, I highly recommend the book Thinking in Pictures by Temple Grandin. She's a woman who has autism that designed "humane" slaughter houses for livestock. I know that sounds like an oxymoron but the book is a fascinating read.
Although I disagree with some of PETA's tactics I do agree with their message and admire their passion for the cause.
newyorkuniq Profile Photonewyorkuniq Profile Photo
newyorkuniq
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I love Barbra and Horsey's icon:) Anyway I eat meat even though I think it's sad how they kill animals. I'm a picky eater so if I didn't eat that i'd starve.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"I would love to take the head of Peta out for dinner to Michael Jordan's Steakhouse & forcefeed her one of the biggest steaks I could find. That would shut her up

"Better still have one of her furry creatures maul her to death & rip her to shreads . See if she still loves animals than."

Christ, what a psychopath you are Roxy.
Chat with the groan-ups: https://twitter.com/NamoInExile
Alex the Cat
Understudy
Understudy
Iím sorry, but I just donít buy the ĎI eat meat but wonít wear furí argument. If you believe in something, donít sit on the fence.

There was an excellent article in the NY Times magazine a few months back about how cattle are raised and the conditions/treatment in slaughterhouses and on most ranches. If you think that any animal that is raised for human consumption of any kind is treated humanely, do some research. The only exceptions are those few farms that are set up specifically to treat animals humanely- i.e. free-range chicken, etc. I do, when given the opportunity, buy meat from one of these farmsÖ but letís face it, your local supermarket isnít selling this stuff usually. I realize this, but I still choose to eat the meat and wear the leather- itís my choice. There are millions of people around the globe who live in worse conditions than these animals, and I'm more concerned about them.

I think itís fine to campaign for animals to be treated more humanely, but to treat people like animals (by throwing paint at them, etc.) is just showing that youíre no better than those who abuse animals.

And no, it is not fine to leave a religious tract on my front door. I donít believe that propaganda of any kind is ĎOKí. Is it OK for a neo-Nazi group to put a pamphlet in my mailbox? But now Iím off into free speech- thatís a whole other threadÖ :)

Michael Jordanís does serve some darn fine steaks.
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
To Alex

Agree about Michael Jordan's & I really wouldn't waste one of their great steaks on one of the Peta's in case you or others were concerned. It was a comical post in the vein of their real life wackiness.
Poster Emeritus
ErikJ972 Profile PhotoErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"If you think that any animal that is raised for human consumption of any kind is treated humanely, do some research."

I have.
lassy Profile Photolassy Profile Photo
lassy
Stand-by
Stand-by
There are approximately 550 black angus roaming around in the huge field right behind me as I type. They are never in stalls and it is not possible to forcefeed these cattle. They simply stop eating when they are done. The ones that die inhumanely are the young calves that the coyotes run to death and eat while the calves are still alive.

The foxes and coyotes are shot in the yard because they hunt and kill the dogs and barn cats. The chickens roam free in the barn lot where they eat anything they want, including the cats' food, and poop on everything they perch on. One of these days I might shoot a few chickens myself for crowing all day when I try to sleep. For the most part they die of pneumonia in the winter.

Now you're all welcome to come to my house for steak dinner.

For Namo, I'd fix a vegetarian meal.
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There is a huge difference between eating meat and wearing fur. One is food--and part of the circle of life. (we are omnivores--our teeth dictate that biological fact). The other is a luxury.

I think a fair example would be Native Americans--a culture that used every part of an animal in full respect for nature. I think it is perfectly ok to wear the fur or leather of an animal if it is an animal that will also be eaten, etc.

Horsey!!!
Stand-by
Stand-by
>>>There are approximately 550 black angus roaming around in the huge field right behind me as I type. They are never in stalls and it is not possible to forcefeed these cattle.<<<

Wake up Lassy. Yes, these types of farms do exist. They are, however, in a VAST MINORITY.

>>>I think it is perfectly ok to wear the fur or leather of an animal if it is an animal that will also be eaten, etc.<<<

jrb, where exactly do people dine on mink?
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That's my point--I do not think well of wearing mink. We eat cows, thus I am ok with leather. =)
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Alex,

You say that someoen should not sit on the fence and taht you disagree with eating meat but not wearing fur. I eat meat, I wear a leather but I won't wear fur and I don't buy products taht are etsted on animals. I do support certaain types of medical research done on animals but not all of it. If I were to go along with what you say, then I would be wearing fur, buying cosmetcs taht have blinded cats and ignoring scientists who experiemnt on monkeys to find out how long it takes for them to die from low levels of poisons slowly introduced into their bodies. I would be contributing to the pain and destruction of more animals than I already do.

It makes more sense to me to sit on the fence and be moderate. Unless, of course you're on the that side of the fence that compeltely is against eating meat and wearing animal products.

There is a difference between eating beef and using the hide for leather and wearing a fox or mink. We are meant to eat meat. If some of us choose not to and are happy with that decision, that's great. I used to be vegan until I found that, due to health issues, it was no longer the best diet for me and that moderate amounts of meat were necessary. I had a freind who was a very strict vegan until she got pregnanat and decided taht the unborn baby needed meat...her doctor agreed. It proves the point that eating meat is necessary for some humans. Wearing a red fox fur isn't. Ceratinly mounting an animal head on your wall is never necessary to anyone's well being.
newyorkuniq Profile Photonewyorkuniq Profile Photo
newyorkuniq
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Why even argue about this obviously some people don't eat meat and wear fur, some people do...whatever... does it really matter?
Kitzarina Profile PhotoKitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I eat meat and am open to the idea of wearing leather, but I disagree with fur and refrain from buying products tested on animals. You can call me a fence sitter if you want, but have you ever tried to stop buying animal tested products? It's a major lifestyle change, and certainly not an easy one to make. I downloaded the list of companies who test on animals from the PETA website and was shocked to see that I purchased from about half of them. Since that day I've had to switch my makeup brand, my shampoo brand, and even what household cleansers I use. It'd be a lot easier to just buy 409 and Cover Girl and save the money I'm spending at Bath and Body Works and Mary Kay. So please don't judge people who eat meat--we care about animals just as much as you do.
"You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" --Family Guy

"Shut up! It's been 29 years!!!" --the incomparable Patti LuPone in her MUCH DESERVED Tony acceptance speech for Gypsy.

Kitzy's Avatar du Jour: Kitzy as Little Red Ridinghood in her college's production of "Into the Woods"
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Why argue? Because it's fun.

A good natured debate/exchange of views is great. Sometimes you even learn to see things differently. This isn't an argument (at least not yet), it's a discussion. when it becomes an argument you'll know because that's when I stop participating in it.
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
you tell 'em burl!
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Al Dente Profile PhotoAl Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Orion, I agree with everything you said, particularly in your first post. Fur is ugly and makes everyone that wears it look unattractive, fat and short. It's a way to say, "hey, folks, I'm rich and can afford this garish piece of crap". Truth is, nowadays, unless you're stupid enough to spend money on a designer fur such as Fendi,Gucci, etc...you can get a pristine 2nd hand fur for the price of an expensive leather jacket. So that's even a moot point. Unless you live in Alaska, or the North pole, you don't really *need* a fur. And those ridiculous girls like J-HO, who wear fur in Los Angeles or Miami are just pathetically shouting out their "newveau(sp) riche" status.
Alex the Cat
Understudy
Understudy
Orion, all I meant was just that you can make yourself crazy over this stuff. You have totally valid points in everything you say, and we all have to draw the line wherever we feel we have to in order to live with ourselves.

I think it's horrible how calves are raised in crates to become veal (which I avoid eating)... but on the other hand, if I tried to eliminate every form of animal product from my life, I would still probably find that there's something I use that comes from a tortured animal. I don't like it- it sucks- but I use it anyway. Yet I'm the first person to speak out against hunting (which here in New England seems to be the national pastime) or any kind of inhumane treatment of animals. Am I a hypocrite? Probably... but no more so than the PETA people who still wear leather or think it's OK to be abusive to humans, just not animals. I haven't met the person yet who is able to tell me that they live completely and 100% animal-product-free lives... we all compromise our ethics to some extent, in my opinion. And I agree that this is a great topic to debate!

And Mr. Roxy, I will join you in tossing that steak at the head of PETA (although MJ's are a little pricey for that- I'd definitely rather eat it)... I just can't stand people who think they have the right to tell me how to live, I guess.

Dec. 10th is International Human Rights Day- now that's something I have no ambivalence about.