Page: 1

Our Town -Philip Bosco

broadwaybaby87
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Our Town -Philip Bosco#0
Posted: 9/27/04 at 10:22pm
I just got back from a free reading of "Our Town" directed and narrated by Philip Bosco. It was quite good, except that I have never before been seated within such a horribly rude audience... but they're highschool students wanting extra credit... what can you expect? I actually went without extra credit and found it somewhat enjoyable. This girl I know played Emily, and was good.
yeah... the end, just thought i'd share!
"It was like being high when you reach those high notes." ~Bernadette Peters
NuggetMonkeys Profile PhotoNuggetMonkeys Profile Photo
NuggetMonkeys
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Our Town -Philip Bosco#1
Posted: 9/27/04 at 10:28pm
by "narrated", do you mean that Bosco played the Stage Manager ?
-d.b.j-
Vary My Days.
musicalmjk Profile Photomusicalmjk Profile Photo
musicalmjk
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Our Town -Philip Bosco#2
Posted: 9/27/04 at 10:41pm
well thats what the stage manager does
need to defrag my brain.
The Grovers Corners Yenta
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Our Town -Philip Bosco#3
Posted: 9/27/04 at 11:04pm
I was in Our Town when I was in high school in the 70's. I think it is an eternal classic and carries valuable messages. I dont think kids today are able to gather the same insight from it. By the way.........I played Mrs. Soames. They nicknamed me the Yenta of Grovers Corners. Some how, that name stuck! But that director we had really worked us so hard. It was awful. 15 hours a day and no breaks! We had 1 hour to be off script. He was a slave driver and we were just teenagers. In fact, he was down right maniacal. I am still in therapy today and take medication for post traumatic stress disorder. Actually, I am kidding. He was wonderful and we all benefited a great deal from him and the whole experience.
"Friends are the people you chose as family."....Me.
Updated On: 9/27/04 at 11:04 PM
musicalmjk Profile Photomusicalmjk Profile Photo
musicalmjk
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Our Town -Philip Bosco#4
Posted: 9/27/04 at 11:37pm
I was in this show also Doc. Gibbs. Valuable insights i agree I did this show a year after 9/11. It is so relevent in society today its a shame it isnt as popular as it seems like it could be. Everyone should see this show live on stage. Its about our living, marrying and our dying. Its such a powerful play. It showed me to look at things very differently and value the things in life more than I used to. There are so many powerful lines "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it?—every, every minute?" and "People are meant to go through life two by two. 'Tain't natural to be lonesome." and "We all know that something is eternal. And it ain't houses and it ain't names, and it ain't earth, and it ain't even the stars . . . everybody knows in their bones that something is eternal, and that something has to do with human beings. All the greatest people ever lived have been telling us that for five thousand years and yet you'd be surprised how people are always losing hold of it. There's something way down deep that's eternal about every human being." and the final act thats need a tissue "only this one straining away, straining away all the time to make something of itself. The strain's so great that every 16 hours everybody lies down and gets a rest. It's eleven o'clock in Grover’s Corners. Everybody's resting in Grover's Corners. Tomorrow's going to be another day. You get a good rest too. Good night." I love this Show.
need to defrag my brain.
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Our Town -Philip Bosco#5
Posted: 9/28/04 at 12:01pm
I am the tyrannical director that Yenta mentions in her posting! The production she was in was an exceptionally good version of the Thornton Wilder's play. Since directing that production, I've directed two others and played George Gibbs in a third. Yup, I've spent lots of time in Grover's Corners--and loved it!
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Our Town -Philip Bosco#6
Posted: 9/28/04 at 2:54pm
Yes DollyPop was the tyrannical director of my school's production of Our Town. It was a wonderful experience that played an big influence in my life today. That production was in 1974!!! He has aged since then, but I haven't.
Updated On: 9/28/04 at 02:54 PM
Ebonic_Singer Profile PhotoEbonic_Singer Profile Photo
Ebonic_Singer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Our Town -Philip Bosco#7
Posted: 9/28/04 at 4:21pm
That's so funny--I just started reading it.
~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo
~FloweryFriend~
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Our Town -Philip Bosco#8
Posted: 9/28/04 at 6:24pm
I may or may not be auditioning for Our Town tomorrow.
I starred in a short film called Magnetic Personality. Check it out!
TxTwoStep Profile PhotoTxTwoStep Profile Photo
TxTwoStep
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Our Town -Philip Bosco#9
Posted: 9/28/04 at 6:35pm
who has heard the musical version GROVER'S CORNERS by Jones/Schmidt?
Will: They don't give out awards for helping people be gay... unless you count the Tonys. "I guarantee that we'll have tough times. I guarantee that at some point one or both of us will want to get out. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life..."
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Our Town -Philip Bosco#10
Posted: 9/28/04 at 6:39pm
Wasnt there a movie version where Frank Sinatra sang a song called " Love and Marriage"?
~FloweryFriend~
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Our Town -Philip Bosco#11
Posted: 9/28/04 at 6:46pm
While looking for a play to direct this semester, I ran across a one-act titled "It's Our Town, Too". In it there were characters named George and Emily. George was living with a man, and Emily with a woman. The daughter of George and his partner was marrying the son of Emily and her partner. It was very interesting.
zoran912 Profile Photozoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Our Town -Philip Bosco#12
Posted: 9/28/04 at 6:52pm
Oh dear Lord.
TxTwoStep Profile PhotoTxTwoStep Profile Photo
TxTwoStep
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Our Town -Philip Bosco#13
Posted: 9/28/04 at 6:52pm
i've heard about that "Our Town, Too"...i'd like to read it. That song "Love and Marriage" i think was the "credit song" for one of the movie or TV movie versions.
Will: They don't give out awards for helping people be gay... unless you count the Tonys. "I guarantee that we'll have tough times. I guarantee that at some point one or both of us will want to get out. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life..."
LittleFish8386 Profile PhotoLittleFish8386 Profile Photo
LittleFish8386
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Our Town -Philip Bosco#14
Posted: 9/28/04 at 7:26pm
I was Emily!

I love that play. Especially b/c there were no props, hence the stage crew kids couldn't touch play with your stuff, making you wonder where it was right before you needed it.
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Our Town -Philip Bosco#15
Posted: 9/28/04 at 7:53pm
The song "Love and Marriage" comes from a TV musical of OUR TOWN that starred Frank Sinatra ans the Stage Manager, Paul Newman as George, Eva Marie Saint as Emily and Shelley Fabres as Rebecca. The music was by Sammy Cahn. Much more than that I can't tell you.

Jones and Schmitt did a stage musical called GROVER'S CORNERS that was supposed to star Mary Martin, but plans for that fell apart when she died. From what I gather, it was a wonderful adaptation.
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Updated On: 9/28/04 at 07:53 PM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Our Town -Philip Bosco#16
Posted: 9/28/04 at 7:59pm
This is absolutely one of my favorite plays. I had the opportunity to play the stage manager (too young for it, but I gave it my all anyway) - it was a little unnerving because I didn't feel a part of the cast (at least as much as I usually do) - many of my rehearsals were just the director, stage manager and me. Still, a phenomenal chance to participate in a great play. Also interesting since we did it in the round - which worked very well with the minimalist set.
MyNameInLights Profile PhotoMyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Our Town -Philip Bosco#17
Posted: 9/28/04 at 10:31pm
We're doing scenes from this (WONDERFUL) play in theatre right now. I'm playing Mrs. Webb in the "Mama, am I pretty?" scene. I love it, I really do. Very thought provoking.
"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."
~FloweryFriend~
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Our Town -Philip Bosco#18
Posted: 9/28/04 at 11:28pm
I played Mrs. Webb once.

"Emily, you make me tired. Now stop it. You're pretty enough for all normal purposes."

It's a good scene.