Page: 1

please help

Elvis04CLM Profile PhotoElvis04CLM Profile Photo
Elvis04CLM
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
please help#0
Posted: 9/22/04 at 4:12pm
I was wondering if anyone knows how to get rid of a homepage that keeps popping up. I have gone to "internet options" and changed my homepage to what I want, and this weird site keeps coming on as the homepage. I don't know what to do. If anyone knows, please help me.
"Okay, who wears this tight of... I can't wear that tight of pants. I like 'em flary. Who likes straight legs?! Not big buttted girls! We need some big flares at the bottom to match!" - Kelly Clarkson
CapnHook Profile PhotoCapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: please help#1
Posted: 9/22/04 at 4:14pm
You have spyware on your computer.

Download "Spybot Search & Destroy" - it is 100% free.

Run Spybot daily for a week or so, then you can start to do it less often.
Spybot Search & Destroy
"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle
Updated On: 9/22/04 at 04:14 PM
CapnHook
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: please help#2
Posted: 9/22/04 at 4:17pm
Another free spyware removal software is Ad-Aware. Doesn't hurt to have both, unless you have limited space on your hard drive.
Ad-Aware
"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle
Elvis04CLM
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: please help#3
Posted: 9/22/04 at 4:18pm
Thank you. I did download that program and have ran it. It's only been a few hours, however. It's still doing the homepage thing, will it eventually go away?
"Okay, who wears this tight of... I can't wear that tight of pants. I like 'em flary. Who likes straight legs?! Not big buttted girls! We need some big flares at the bottom to match!" - Kelly Clarkson
CapnHook
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: please help#4
Posted: 9/22/04 at 4:19pm
Finally, it could also be a virus. Some viruses don't harm your computer, but they will make your experience online very annoying.

Run a virus check. If you do not have anti-virus software, you will need to purchase one IMMEDIATELY. If you own a computer, and it does not matter how new the computer is, you MUST have anti-virus software on your computer. Otherwise, expect to be buying a new computer within a year or two, and risk losing all information on your computer.
Norton Anti-Virus 2005
--Aristotle
Updated On: 9/22/04 at 04:19 PM
CapnHook
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: please help#5
Posted: 9/22/04 at 4:21pm
After you remove all spyware, then go back into Internet Options and change it again. Click APPLY then OK.

Restart your computer.

If it persists, probably a virus, or the program did not detect the spyware. But if it didn't detect the spyware first time around, its probably a virus then.
--Aristotle
Elvis04CLM
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: please help#6
Posted: 9/22/04 at 4:36pm
It's looking like ad aware did the trick. Thank you, we'll see what happens.
Mamie Profile PhotoMamie Profile Photo
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: please help#7
Posted: 9/22/04 at 4:43pm
Mine did that and it (sadly) turned out to be a virus. I had a guy out here who fixed everything but we did talk about getting the spy ware off the system. I had Spybot downloaded but he said that it could actually be a little dangerous. It could possibly delete good files with the bad. He recommended the ad aware program and loaded it on for me. I run it every day and so far (knock on wood) no problems!
www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
Elvis04CLM
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: please help#8
Posted: 9/22/04 at 4:44pm
Yeah, it's looking like ad aware got rid of it. When I saw the list of stuff it found, malware was listed. So I'm hoping it did it. No problems so far... (knock on wood). Thank you so much for your help Capn!!
Elvis04CLM
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: please help#9
Posted: 9/22/04 at 4:47pm
Well, I guess I'm not out of the woods yet. The homepage is working, but this thing pops up periodically that says something like "web dialer." Then little things come up, saying something like, "already running." There's like 10 little windows that come up. Anybody have any idea what that means?
CapnHook
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: please help#10
Posted: 9/22/04 at 4:48pm
No problem. Glad your computer's OK now.
--Aristotle
CapnHook
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: please help#11
Posted: 9/22/04 at 4:58pm
Oddsfish.

Trying running spyware search again, with both programs.
--Aristotle