Page: 1

The Worst Shakespeare You've Ever Seen

rockfenris2005
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Worst Shakespeare You've Ever Seen#0
Posted: 9/7/04 at 9:35am
If anyone here is a fan of the classics, do speak up. The worst experience I ever had was at a production of Macbeth. The set was absolutely awful. They couldn't make up their minds, not just in the set but EVERYTHING, whether it was modern or ancient. It was a debacle. The actors had no emotion whatsoever and they just recited their words without knowing the depth of them. I had to sit, right up the back, and I'd brought Kentucky into the theatre at the time. It was more delicious than the sight before me. Not even a hot talent... which is my final requirement when all else has failed. The funny part was, my friend dragged me up to the director at the end of the show and asked him, and he seriously must have been asleep, if he would consider directing my show. I tried to run away... NOOOOO, I said to him.... NOOOOO. The director, nevertheless, was a very nice gentlemen. He must've been asleep, or on drugs, to allow such an awful adaptation. Lucikly, he said he was too busy to direct my shiw. Other than that, I've seen some nice Shakespeare: Hamlet, with a metallic set and Romeo and Juliet in the gardens. That inspired some of my greatest work

Updated On: 9/7/04 at 09:35 AM
popcultureboy Profile Photopopcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Antony & Cleopatra at the National Theatre a few years ago. Given that it starred Alan Rickman and Helen Mirren in the title roles and was directed by Sean Mathias, it should have been a no-brainer, right? Wrong. Awful. Helen Mirren looked lost, Alan Rickman mumbled all his lines to the floor, the staging was ridiculously over elaborate and it was so lifelessly directed I could have screamed.

I have seen some great Shakespeare too though. Notably Hamlet at the Barbican with Sam West in the title role, and the double bill of Richard II and Coriolanus at the Gainsborough Studios with Ralph Fiennes.
Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
pop - have you seen McKellan in anything?

I've seen some community level Shakespeare that's made my eyeballs curdle.
popcultureboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I saw the West End production of Dance Of Death a little while back. I was one of a teensy minority who really enjoyed it.
Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
pop - don't know that particular piece. I do remember reading that it didn't go over very well. Oh, well - that's why it's so great to have something for everyone! God knows there's things I like that make people almost physically sick.
rockfenris2005
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Who here knows the Shakespearian actor Simon Russell Beale? I think he's spectacular! He truly comes from Shakespeare's time
Updated On: 9/7/04 at 09:56 AM
Glebb Profile PhotoGlebb Profile Photo
Glebb
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I wanted to mention some wonderful Shakespeare ballets.
Cranko's "Romeo and Juliet" and "Taming of The Shrew."
Limon's "The Moor's Pavane" (based on "Othello".)
These are not to be missed.
" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."
popcultureboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Simon Russell Beale will be playing Macbeth at the Almeida next year. I saw him in Twelfth Night at the Donmar and thought he was wonderful.
rockfenris2005
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I've always wanted to meet him. Maybe you can say hello for me?
popcultureboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Only if I yell it from the audience. Which might not go over well.
rockfenris2005
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Worst Shakespeare You've Ever Seen#10
Posted: 9/7/04 at 10:08am
Yell out: FENRIS THINKS YOUR GOD!

Updated On: 9/7/04 at 10:08 AM
sabrelady Profile Photosabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There was an "Othello" eons ago @ Stratford Ont w an Israeli actor- so w got a man in black face yelling "Desdemona" in Yinglish.OY!
Words that confuse censors:Fecund,penal,taint, titmouse, cockatoo,coccyx, ballcock, cockeye, prickly,kumquat, titter,cunning linguist, insertion, gobble, guzzle, swallow, manhole, rimshot,ramrod,come, fallacious, lugubrious,rectify,Uranus, angina, paradiddle,spotted dick,dictum, frock,cunctation, engorge,turgid,stiff, bush, uvula, crapulence, masticate, Dick Butkus, gherkin and of course the always bewildering lickety split. As you can see, context is every thing. Chuck Lorre Addendum: 555 382 5968 "Sexarama, Hexarama, Queeriosis, Feariosis!" Alec Baldwin Im going to have to science the shit outta this. The Martian
insomniak
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Anything read aloud in my english class. And we're honors kids too, you'd think people would try for a little emotion...
lildogs Profile Photolildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"A Winter's Tale" at the Utah Shakespeare Festival....wow...the lead was impossibly horrible although visually the show was quite stunning...
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Raul Julia as Othello with Richard Dreyfuss as Iago (Central Park). Bad, bad casting all the way!
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Pip Profile PhotoPip Profile Photo
Pip
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Worst? That would have to be me in Julius Caesar in high school. It was one of those pivotal moments in your life when you realize that business school is beckoning.
shlamdiddly Profile Photoshlamdiddly Profile Photo
shlamdiddly
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I'm gonna have to say my class last year in our production of Much Ado About Nothing. Out of ten people 3 had scripts. And I don't thik any of us had ALL of our lines memorized. It was crap. Completely horrible.
You aren't feeling overwhelmed are you?
BroadwayMonkey Profile PhotoBroadwayMonkey Profile Photo
BroadwayMonkey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Taming of the Shrew. The actors kept forgetting their lines, and the theme was weird. Pirates, for heavens sake. Plus, The Taming of the Shrew is just sexist.
Real men are tenors.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I have to say the production of LEAR this past season didn't do a lot for me. Certainly not the worst I've seen, but the cast just didn't seem to be up to Mr. Plummer's challenge. In many ways, it seemed as if he was in an entirely different production from the rest of the cast.

Dollypop - having had the priveledge of seeing James Earl Jones and Christopher Plummer in Othello, I can only cringe at the idea of that casting - and feel sorry for your experience re: The Worst Shakespeare You've Ever Seen
theatreguy Profile Phototheatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
King Lear at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival this season. Just horrible all around, not to mention being probably the most boring Shakespeare production I have ever seen. The 3 and a half hour running time didn't help things either.
ElphieDefiesGravity Profile PhotoElphieDefiesGravity Profile Photo
ElphieDefiesGravity
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Worst Shakespeare You've Ever Seen#20
Posted: 9/7/04 at 10:15pm
The worst Shakespeare I have ever seen was a university production of Love's Labors Lost. It was set in a modern setting: a high school. First of all, I am not too fond of modernized Shakespeare, and neither is my father (who went with me). Secondly, it was just, well...stupid! Cringe-worthy. The best part was at the beginning because the director, in order to emphasize the high school aspect, had come to my school and taped different things on campus. So it was cool to see my school and the people I knew. But, the rest of the production was horrendous. My dad and I left at intermission. That is the only play I have ever left in the middle of. We rented Bend it Like Beckham instead. I love that movie!
"Blow out the candles, Robert, and make a wish. Want something. Want something."

Wishes come true, not free.
Nina Myers Profile PhotoNina Myers Profile Photo
Nina Myers
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: The Worst Shakespeare You've Ever Seen#21
Posted: 9/7/04 at 10:23pm
I recently saw a local college production of Twelfth Night. Ack.
A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read - Mark Twain
GovernorSlaton Profile PhotoGovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Worst Shakespeare You've Ever Seen#22
Posted: 9/7/04 at 11:04pm
I believe LG had a humorous Romeo and Juliet story on the OMG That's So Embarrassing! thread.