Bjork - Medulla

jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Bjork - Medulla#0
Posted: 8/29/04 at 1:07pm
You can preview the album on MTV.com. Sounds like it is going to be stunning! I am such a huge fan of her music--and her ideas about music are always worthy of thought and discussion. Apparently this album will include no instruments--like Toxic Audio or Duwende.

from http://www.MTV.com
"Instruments are so over," Bjork declares about her new album Medulla, giving one huge hint about just how unusual it is. Bjork assembled vocal musicians like The Roots human beatbox Rahzel and Faith No More singer Mike Patton to "make special noises" on the album. Her a cappella songs are rounded out by insect, bird, and drum-loops sounds--all borne from the vocal cords. Bjork's lyrics are just as daring: "If you want to sing about a candle flame, then go for it; and if you want to sing about existentialism or a celibate nurse from Boston, then go for that, too. Some of the time, I'm just following a train of thought," she explains.
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bjork - Medulla#1
Posted: 8/29/04 at 1:07pm
BTW--the album is in stores on Tuesday.
zoran912 Profile Photozoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bjork - Medulla#2
Posted: 8/29/04 at 1:09pm
You must go to VH1 and watch the video for "Oceania." It is stunning.
Matt_G Profile PhotoMatt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bjork - Medulla#3
Posted: 8/29/04 at 1:10pm
There's a full page ad for in the new Advocate. All I can say is that SOMEONE liked CATWOMAN!
"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
zoran912
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bjork - Medulla#4
Posted: 8/29/04 at 1:12pm
Bjork -> Catwoman...wtf?
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bjork - Medulla#5
Posted: 8/29/04 at 1:15pm
That video was cool!
zoran912
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bjork - Medulla#6
Posted: 8/29/04 at 1:25pm
Yes it definitely was. I loved the crystals. OOH! And the Jellyfish! So pretty!

I love her voice too.
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bjork - Medulla#7
Posted: 8/29/04 at 4:07pm
I love the rawness of her voice.
popcultureboy Profile Photopopcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bjork - Medulla#9
Posted: 9/7/04 at 8:16am
It is definitely her best album yet, and when you consider her back catalogue, that's quite a statement. It will more than likely end being the best album of this year for me.
Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bjork - Medulla#10
Posted: 9/7/04 at 8:22am
Well, the Grammys better wake up and listen to this one. She deserves much praise for this. The collaboration of artists is truly enchanting.
popcultureboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bjork - Medulla#11
Posted: 9/7/04 at 8:23am
My hopes aren't exactly high for her to get awards recognition for it, I have to say. I hope I am wrong and I hope she does because lord knows she deserves them.
Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bjork - Medulla#12
Posted: 9/7/04 at 8:25am
The truly innovative are usually left out. How long did it take for them to finally recognize Madonna? Where's the love for Prince?
Updated On: 9/7/04 at 08:25 AM
popcultureboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bjork - Medulla#13
Posted: 9/7/04 at 8:32am
And yet they fell over themselves to give Beyonce a shedload. Whatever.
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bjork - Medulla#14
Posted: 9/7/04 at 8:35am
and to nominate great artists like Britney Spears.
popcultureboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bjork - Medulla#15
Posted: 9/7/04 at 8:41am
Gag me.
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
popcultureboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bjork - Medulla#17
Posted: 9/7/04 at 8:45am
I would, but it's a 6 hour plane ride away.
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
popcultureboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bjork - Medulla#19
Posted: 9/7/04 at 8:52am
Oh I know. I have heard all kinds of stories. I'll be sure to let you know when I am heading your way. But that's taking this thread wildly off topic.
redhotinnyc2 Profile Photoredhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bjork - Medulla#20
Posted: 9/7/04 at 9:48am
She frightens me, Possums.
"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!
popcultureboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bjork - Medulla#21
Posted: 9/7/04 at 9:48am
How and why? Do tell.
redhotinnyc2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bjork - Medulla#22
Posted: 9/7/04 at 9:57am
If you're a fan of hers you will hate me for saying this - but her voice is very bizarre to me, and after seeing that movie she did (Dancer in the Dark? something like that) I was just mortified. I watched her perform at the Olympics this year and just thought - why? what is the appeal of her voice and manner - all that vibrato and crazy hand gestures and such...it just eludes me.
"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!
popcultureboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bjork - Medulla#23
Posted: 9/7/04 at 9:58am
I don't hate you for saying it at all. She's very unique and you either love her voice and everything she does, or her voice makes you want to kill yourself (and her) and you can't understand the appeal.
redhotinnyc2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bjork - Medulla#24
Posted: 9/7/04 at 10:04am
popculture - thanks - you summed it up. I feel that way about lots of performers - love 'em or hate 'em (actually, most of my life people have reacted that way to ME also...people rarely react to me like "who, him? I dunno..." its more like - "HIM? awful!" or "He's so much fun to be around and what a great voice!"...ok - perhaps I've overstepped my bounds now...LOL....
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bjork - Medulla#25
Posted: 9/7/04 at 10:07pm
It's a raw, gorgeous sound. But it's her writing, her ideas that make her a legend.