~FloweryFriend~'s Trip to New York

~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo
~FloweryFriend~
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
~FloweryFriend~'s Trip to New York#0
Posted: 8/18/04 at 1:44am
Flowery Friends Trip to New York

My Mom, Grandma, and I flew in to New York City on Thursday (read My Sister Eileen on the plane in). As soon as we had dropped off our bags in our hotel room, Grandma insisted that I go inside the Trump Tower and take a picture by the waterfall (she was somehow shocked that I had never been. Eh.) Grandma became very excited when she saw the words Frank Sinatra Exhibit at a random watch store in midtown, so we went and checked that out.

On our way back to our hotel, we ended up walking behind Kimberly Locke. Of course, that name means nothing to my Grandma, but as soon as I recognized her, my mother started humming 8th World Wonder. She was wearing khaki colored pants that had studded patterns on the bottom and said U.S. Army across the rear. My mother and I hated them, but Grandma thought they looked hip. My mother noticed that she was wearing silver bangles and some rings that were bling-bling. I was paying more attention to the two fabulously dressed men on either side of her who seemed to be carrying her shopping bags. I assume they were her stylists, because they certainly did not look like bodyguards.

Upon our unpacking, my mother discovered that airport security had done a random check on her suitcase, and they smashed her eye shadow case in the process, getting brown eye shadow all over EVERYTHING. It gave us a great excuse to go shopping. ~FloweryFriend~'s Trip to New York (by the way, the makeup sales people at the department stores in NYC are very scary. Its like they all swarm in on you at once. Very weird.)

We saw the Naked Cowboy, but there was a very long line to get to him. I decided that we could get a picture with him a different day. As luck would have it, we never again crossed paths with him.

On the night of Friday the 13th, three generations of my flowery family went to see a show called "Hairspray". It was AMAZING!!! I think thats the most fun that I have EVER had in a theatre (without being up on stage, that is ~FloweryFriend~'s Trip to New York ). We had incredible seats, which added greatly to the experience. The whole cast seems so excited to be doing what they're doing, and throughout the show there are so many moments that make you want to just get up and dance your heart out right there in the middle of the theatre. I loved the music, and the sets and costumes were GORGEOUS. Carly Jibson was perfect in the role of Tracy. It's always nice to hear of a 19 year old actress from Michigan achieving success. As a fellow 19 year old from Michigan, it gives me hope. ~FloweryFriend~'s Trip to New York Peter Scolari and Michael McKean were so quirky and delightful in the roles of her parents. If Jennifer Gambatese has a fan club, I would really seriously like to join it, because she was a superb Penny. And Jackie Hoffman! She ad-libbed a line as she was climbing onto the stage from the audience: "How's YOUR Friday the thirteenth going? Well, you're not in a hurricane and you're not the governor of New Jersey, so I'd say pretty good!" Everything she did had me in stitches. At the end of the show, some metallic streamers shot over the audience. My mother proceeded to collect them and stuff them in her purse. She thinks that theyre like the greatest souvenir ever, because they came from the set of a Broadway show. (At the time I did not see the appeal of a purse full of streamers and was fully embarrassed by my mothers antics, but theyre very cool now that weve got them home).

At the stage door, Carly Jibson, Michael McKean, Jennifer Gambatese, and Johnathon Dokuchitz all signed my program. They were all so friendly and so gracious. Grandma was very excited when Richard H. Blake walked out, as she thought he was very attractive in the role of Link. (On a side note, HAIRSPRAY is my first ever COLOR Playbill. It was most exciting. I mean, I knew they existed, but I had never seen one in person before, and suddenly that night, I owned one.)

For the record, Grandmas review included such quotes as:
- "Oh that Link is handsome! I have to read my program now!" (at intermission)
- "These songs are gonna go on forever!"
- "That's the happiest musical I ever saw!"
- "I can't wait to see it again! I want to come back in February and see it for my birthday."
- "I'm so thankful to you for introducing me to it."

My mother loved it too, although I didnt write down any of her quotes. Grandmas were more interesting. In short, 3 flowery women cannot be wrong. Go see Hairspray NOW.

The next day Mom and I had to go to Sephora and make money disappear. There was some random promotion going on, and a guy at the store insisted that I have my makeup done. A lovely guy from Brooklyn named Albie decided that I should be made up in the style of the 1940s. He was completely shocked when I mentioned that the Republican party was gathering in the city next week. After the makeover (oh yes, I truly was a new girl after that), I asked Albie to pose for a picture. He then proceeded to powder his nose and apply lipgloss and mascara. I got a kick out of that. Albie also said that my mom and I were his favorite mother and daughter of the whole 2-day promotion because we seemed so much like friends.

In the afternoon, there was a guy selling (what I assume to be fake) Louis Vuitton bags and wallets on the street, which he kept gathering up into a sheet and throwing into a cardboard box. He looked around shiftily a bit and stood very still whenever there was a cop in sight. After arguing with the guy for awhile and getting him to cut the price by $25, I bought a very convincing wallet for my label-hungry friend Mary. Shes going to love it.

We also hit a bunch of vendors on 7th. We each bought a pair of the hideous, supposedly comfortable cheap Chinatown slippers that everyone raves about. I have to say, I still dont see what the big deal is. Theyre ugly and theyre no more comfortable than any of my other shoes.

We went to an Italian restaurant called Patsys for dinner, because my Grandma knows that Frank Sinatra used to eat there. The staff informed us that the night before, Nancy Sinatra and Stevie Van Zandt had eaten there. My mother is a huge Bruce Springsteen fan, so she about jumped out of her seat when she realized that if we had eaten there the night before, she could have run into Mr. Van Zandt. Suddenly, the excitement of seeing Kimberly Locke had worn off, and my mother was desperate to see another non-Broadway celebrity.

That night, we went to see Wonderful Town". The show lives up to the adjective in its title. The acting and singing were amazing. And the dancing! Oh the DANCING! Every member of the ensemble was so gifted. Their legs were in positions that I previously thought only contortionists could achieve. My mother was fascinated by one dancer who had to chew gum during most of the show WHILE DANCING. My Grandma loved the costumes, and was very excited that she could see the whole orchestra during the performance. Donna Murphy and Jennifer Westfeldt were positively perfect in their respective roles of Ruth and Eileen. In my mind, they are both irreplaceable. (There was a set malfunction during the performance. I got so excited! We knew something was wrong when we saw the conductor answer his cell phone. It was fixed very quickly. I love live theatre! Anything can happen.)

During the intermission, as you may have already read, I met the charming man known as jrb_actor. He was very friendly, and even answered some of my questions about the Wicked cancellation line.

Wonderful Town had the nicest audience. I met a sweet girl named Lavelle who was an Irene Ryan nominee a few years back, and she says that shell help me find a good monologue for the competition in January! Yay! Also met a very nice older couple, and a friendly theatre teacher named Kari.

After the show, we waited in the rain by the stage door. Gregg Edelman signed my Playbill. (btw, I love the WT Playbill. It has a photo of Donna and Jennifer in the pose of the WT image. Adorable.) He was so charming and friendly. He seems to be a true gentleman. Donna Murphy was so incredibly nice. My mother was particularly taken with Ms. Murphy's beauty. She gladly signed my copy of "My Sister Eileen" (which WT was based on), and posed for a picture in the rain as well. All I could do was just stand there completely dumbfounded and awestruck, stuttering like a moron. But Ms. Murphy seemed to ignore my lack of poise and grace, and spoke to me as though I were a colleague instead of a fan, shaking my hand and wishing me luck with my acting before I went on my way. Unfortunately, the rest of the cast of Wonderful Town seemed to be hurrying along, but they all smiled and said hello as they went on their respective ways. (Ms. Westfeldt was unable to stop, but she seemed to be a very friendly person who merely had a prior commitment. Oh well.) To me, though, it was definitely worth waiting in the rain just to see Donna Murphy for a very short time.

At 9:50 am on Sunday, Mom and I were in the Wicked cancellation line, holding spots 6 and 7. We thought we were doing pretty well considering that the show was at 3pm and the box office didnt open until noon. I called bythesword84 while waiting in line to ask her what our chances were. I tried entering the lottery (I lost). The first girl in the cancellation line got 2 seats right at noon. The rest of us just waited, and waited, and waited. We got to be very good friends in that line. We all started getting depressed around 2pm. Then, at 2:30, our spirits were lifted a bit: my mother spotted Annie Lennox picking up tickets in the will-call line. She began humming Sweet Dreams and waving spastically at Annies grinning husband as he accompanied his wife up the Gershwin escalator. At 2:55, they finally started distributing tickets. My mom and I ended up sitting down in row G about 2 minutes before the show began.

The set is very ornate and impressive. Unfortunately, I do not understand the purpose for the giant clock dragon... I was working really hard trying to come up with crazy underlying metaphors. In the end, I think it was just kinda distracting. Impressive though. The costumes definitely achieved the sort of "other-worldly" quality that the show required. Jennifer Laura Thompson was fantastic as Glinda. For the most part, it seemed that she was doing a dead-on Kristin impression, but she threw in some inflection and nuances to help make the part her own. (and she went to college in Michigan. Gotta love the girls from Michigan.) Idina Menzel was everything that I hoped she would be. Joey McIntyre exceeded my expectations. Carole Shelley and George Hearn were excellent as well. And Michelle Federer was deliciously evil.

At the stage door, JLT and Joey McIntyre signed my Playbill (the second one I own that is in color). When my Mom asked Joey to please pose for a picture, he paused before agreeing. He later said, I thought you said propose, to which I replied that him proposing would be fine as well. (Now that I think about it, hes married isnt he? Oh well. A girl can dream.)

I know that it probably makes me lose credibility to say this, but I honestly LOVED all three shows!!! I swear that I don't like every show I see (even on Broadway). My mother jokes about how I usually tear things apart (my mantra in recent years has been "the more you know about theatre, the less you can enjoy it"). And although I know it is unfair of me to make this statement without having seen the other shows currently on Broadway, I truly feel that the shows I saw must be 3 of the best shows playing right now. I would see any one of them again in a heartbeat.

So that, my friends, was my lovely trip to NYC. Sorry for being long-winded. (Believe it or not, thats the short version ~FloweryFriend~'s Trip to New York ) It was an unbelievably fabulous trip and I cannot wait to go back.

The end. ~floweryfriend~
I starred in a short film called Magnetic Personality. Check it out!
BroadwayMonkey Profile PhotoBroadwayMonkey Profile Photo
BroadwayMonkey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ~FloweryFriend~'s Trip to New York#1
Posted: 8/18/04 at 1:49am
Oh, darling. I'm soo jealous.

BTW, you know the hidious Chinese slippers? I bought them in this horrible green. They are, without a doubt, the ugliest shoes I own. I ADORE them.
Real men are tenors.
shira467 Profile Photoshira467 Profile Photo
shira467
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ~FloweryFriend~'s Trip to New York#2
Posted: 8/18/04 at 1:50am
Oh, it's such a wonderful recap. Welcome back Flowery, it's great to see you here again (hey, I'm also 19. Go us!)

I'm glad you loved J-La, I can't wait to see her. And I would like to be married to Joey Mac as well. Damn he's not Jewish.

Anyway, yay for New York, I'm glad you enjoyed it. And once again, welcome back. You were missed.

BroadwayMonkey: I have that green! The semi-flourescent? They may not be stylin', but they are comfy. I've also seen a heeled version of the shoes.
Deet: Shira, I Love You!
Updated On: 8/18/04 at 01:50 AM
bwaysinger Profile Photobwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ~FloweryFriend~'s Trip to New York#3
Posted: 8/18/04 at 1:56am
Flowery, the clock dragon part of the set is a reference to something in the novel that, as far as I can tell, once had something to do with the show (I'm guessing in San Fran). Sadly, it's been written out now and is just a distraction to many people, who wonder what it's doing there.
StickToPriest Profile PhotoStickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ~FloweryFriend~'s Trip to New York#4
Posted: 8/18/04 at 2:06am
Aiea, did you meet George Hearn??
Please tell me you met George Hearn. re: ~FloweryFriend~'s Trip to New York
"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.
chinkie azn jai Profile Photochinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ~FloweryFriend~'s Trip to New York#5
Posted: 8/18/04 at 2:06am
Nice re-cap!
"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D
feinstein9 Profile Photofeinstein9 Profile Photo
feinstein9
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ~FloweryFriend~'s Trip to New York#6
Posted: 8/18/04 at 2:08am
>>We also hit a bunch of vendors on 7th. We each bought a pair of the hideous, supposedly comfortable cheap Chinatown slippers that everyone raves about. I have to say, I still dont see what the big deal is. Theyre ugly and theyre no more comfortable than any of my other shoes.

we call them meshies... they started in chinatown and are now taking over the gd WORLD. stay away.

(i own to pair and i hate/love them. SO TACKY!)
~FloweryFriend~
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ~FloweryFriend~'s Trip to New York#7
Posted: 8/18/04 at 2:15am
No, Priest.
I did not meet George Hearn.
He left out an alternate exit, along with Idina Menzel, William Youmans, Sean McCourt, Michelle Federer, and Manuel Herrera.
Carole Shelley exited out the stage door, but only signed two autographs before leaving.
(Idina was spotted leaving in a limo with Taye, wearing a grey sweatsuit. At least 3 young girls were crying due to the fact that they were unable to meet her.)
StickToPriest Profile PhotoStickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ~FloweryFriend~'s Trip to New York#8
Posted: 8/18/04 at 2:18am
re: ~FloweryFriend~'s Trip to New York
"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ~FloweryFriend~'s Trip to New York#9
Posted: 8/18/04 at 2:21am
A very sweet tale of your trip!! :)
Mattio98
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ~FloweryFriend~'s Trip to New York#10
Posted: 8/18/04 at 2:21am
When will the Flowery be returning to the Big Apple?
CATSNYrevival Profile PhotoCATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ~FloweryFriend~'s Trip to New York#11
Posted: 8/18/04 at 2:33am
In the book there is a kind of puppet show that happens on the clock dragon so I guess the show, WICKED, taking place within the clock dragon, without an explination, is now just a simple reference to the book...
~FloweryFriend~
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ~FloweryFriend~'s Trip to New York#12
Posted: 8/18/04 at 2:37am
Good question, Mattio.
Before this trip, the last time I was in the city was July 2001 when I was looking at colleges.
It might be years before I go back.
Then again, I might be able to tag along with Grandma if she really decides to go back and see "Hairspray" again for her birthday.
It's all in the hands of fate.
Marc Shaiman Profile PhotoMarc Shaiman Profile Photo
Marc Shaiman
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ~FloweryFriend~'s Trip to New York#13
Posted: 8/18/04 at 4:50am
~FF~

It's a treat to read a post that has such positivity and joy...good for you. Thank you.

re: ~FloweryFriend~'s Trip to New York
EddieVarley Profile PhotoEddieVarley Profile Photo
EddieVarley
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ~FloweryFriend~'s Trip to New York#14
Posted: 8/18/04 at 7:47am
Flowery I've loved you since you first joined, your passion and humor is an inspiration, not to mention the fact that you have such wonderful writing skills.

So glad you had an AMAZING trip, I would of been honored to meet you and the "gals"...Thanks again for the re-cap of events and an even bigger THANK YOU for reminding me how wonderful NYC truly is, come back soon!
Are you following BroadwayWorld.com yet on Facebook & Twitter? click here.
ckeaton Profile Photockeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ~FloweryFriend~'s Trip to New York#15
Posted: 8/18/04 at 8:56am
What fun!!! ~ff~ you are so awesome.
Hamlet's father.
eyeonbroadway Profile Photoeyeonbroadway Profile Photo
eyeonbroadway
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: ~FloweryFriend~'s Trip to New York#16
Posted: 8/18/04 at 9:01am
Great report!! I live in Michigan, too, and can't wait for my next trip to the Big Apple! You make me want to go back RIGHT NOW!
insomniak
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ~FloweryFriend~'s Trip to New York#17
Posted: 8/18/04 at 10:54am
I'm so happy for you, Flowery. (OT, but you're from Michigan? I'm the child of two die-hard OSU alumni/FREAKS and I think I'm required by law to hate you... don't tell anyone that I don't, they might arrest me. re: ~FloweryFriend~'s Trip to New York )
WiCkEDrOcKS Profile PhotoWiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ~FloweryFriend~'s Trip to New York#18
Posted: 8/18/04 at 11:52am
Thats great! Glad you enjoyed the shows. Wicked and Hairspray are my favorites so I am happy you were not let down...also: glad to hear Idinas still got it!
Current Avatar: Cynthia Erivo, bringing down the house in The Color Purple.
Eyemakeup3 Profile PhotoEyemakeup3 Profile Photo
Eyemakeup3
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: ~FloweryFriend~'s Trip to New York#19
Posted: 8/18/04 at 12:05pm
What a sweet child it tis', you are a blessing Flowery.
"Real friends are very special, but you have to be careful because sometimes you have a friend and you think they are made of rock, then suddenly you realise they're only made of sand." Maria Callas (American soprano. 1923-1977)
WiCkEDrOcKS Profile PhotoWiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ~FloweryFriend~'s Trip to New York#20
Posted: 8/18/04 at 12:05pm
Oh, and for the record I am extremely, extremely jealous of you, Flowery. re: ~FloweryFriend~'s Trip to New York
Current Avatar: Cynthia Erivo, bringing down the house in The Color Purple.
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ~FloweryFriend~'s Trip to New York#21
Posted: 8/18/04 at 12:07pm
SOOOO glad you loved hairspray!
aspiringguy715 Profile Photoaspiringguy715 Profile Photo
aspiringguy715
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ~FloweryFriend~'s Trip to New York#22
Posted: 8/18/04 at 12:14pm
Sounds like an amazing trip Flowery, your mother and grandmother sound hilarious! I'm sure you three make an impressive team re: ~FloweryFriend~'s Trip to New York
Glad you loved the shows, you picked some fun shows to go to. I'm so jealous, because I've never stayed overnight!

Glad you had a good time re: ~FloweryFriend~'s Trip to New York
Joel: Nope. Osidius, right there, swoop and cross.
Clementine: Shut the fuck up!
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Broadwaygirl4life
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: ~FloweryFriend~'s Trip to New York#23
Posted: 8/18/04 at 1:21pm
wow that sounded really fun. glad you enjoyed it! re: ~FloweryFriend~'s Trip to New York
"[My son]'s really into my music, but one day we were listening to Billy [Joel] in the car and he said, 'Daddy, I think Billy's songs are a little better than yours." (Michael Cavanaugh)
ponine24601
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ~FloweryFriend~'s Trip to New York#24
Posted: 8/18/04 at 2:08pm
that's great! i'm so glad that you had a good time. thanks for sharing that with us!
"People asking questions, lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problems, only solutions." ~The one and only John Lennon