Carole King

junglered Profile Photojunglered Profile Photo
junglered
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Carole King#0
Posted: 8/1/04 at 1:48pm
This Friday night was moonlight and magnolias at Atlanta's sold out Chastain Park Amphitheater for a special concert with the legendary Carole King. Carole, with her beautifully trademarked raspy voice, presented her "Living Room Tour" to the audience with only herself on piano and 2 supporting musicians, Rudy Guess and Gary Burr on guitar. The stage was set with a couch, club chair, lamps, and ficus trees to evoke Carole's living room. Carole, absent from Atlanta for about 10 years, opened her show with "Home Again" from her classic 'album' "Tapestry". She followed the opener with a clever ditty inviting the audience to her living room set up next to their dining room (as everyone picnics al fresco at Chastain). Carole then delved back to "Tapestry" to sing "Beautiful" and an updated "Where You Lead" (now featured on the WB's Gilmore Girls). Carole interspersed some of her newer material from her most recent CD "Love Makes the World" with 70's nuggets like "Sweet Seasons" and "Been to Canaan". Carole then re-introduced her Nashville based friend songwriter Gary Burr who then sang a couple of songs which included Juice Newton's "Love's Been A Little Bit Hard on Me". Carole then took back the lead vocals for a rousing version of "Smackwater Jack". Closing out the first half of the show, Carole showcased some of the classic songs that she has written in a medley which included "Oh,No, Not My Baby", "Go Away, Little Girl", "One Fine Day", and "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow".

After a 15 minute intermission, Carole returned to the stage and gave the audience a demonstration of how singer/songwriters take ideas and turn them into songs. She and Gary Burr commented that July was going to host the first 'blue moon' in 3 years (2 full moons within 1 month) and proceeded to try to write and sing a 'new' song about a blue moon. The second half of the show was heavy on sing-a-long classics from "Tapestry" including "It's Too Late", "I Feel the Earth Move" and "So Far Away" which was dedicated to a safe return of our troops from overseas. Ms. King got the audience going with a lively "Chains" and a three song encore which included "You've Got a Friend", (You Make me Feel Like) "A Natural Woman" , and "The Loco-Motion". All in all it was a terrific evening spent with a legendary singer-songwriter. One final comment - Carole looks terrific! My brother-in-law, who is a physician, was seated next to me at the show. He commented that he "sees 60-something women in his office all day, and Carole King does NOT look 62"!
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Carole King#1
Posted: 8/1/04 at 3:17pm
What a talented woman she is! She is one of our national treasures.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Carole King#2
Posted: 8/1/04 at 3:18pm
I still play Tapestry on a regular basis.
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Carole King#3
Posted: 8/1/04 at 3:25pm
Tapestry will always be a favorite of mine.

Great album.
Broadwayboobs Profile PhotoBroadwayboobs Profile Photo
Broadwayboobs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Carole King#4
Posted: 8/1/04 at 6:39pm
Junglered - Thanks for the posting this. Hopefully I'll get a chance to see her. "Tapestry" is the ultimate classic album.
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. Ralph Waldo Emerson
junglered
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Carole King#5
Posted: 8/1/04 at 9:01pm
Carole was so much fun to see and listen to in this setting. If you are a fan, definitely go see her! - And for the connoisseurs of the "Tapestry" 'album', I believe she sang all the songs featured on that classic album, save two.
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Carole King#6
Posted: 8/1/04 at 10:06pm
Everyone should start demanding that "Really Rosie" be put on DVD.

"I told you once, I told you twice, I told you chicken noodle soup with rice!"
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Broadwayboobs Profile PhotoBroadwayboobs Profile Photo
Broadwayboobs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Carole King#7
Posted: 8/1/04 at 10:30pm
I just got the CD of Really Rosie...we need it on DVD !!!

Did anyone know that the song "Oh Carol" by Neil Sedaka was written about Carole King???? 3 woman (teenagers at the time) from my Neighborhood were the back up singers on it. So Carole King did a response song called "Oh Neil" (don't know if it was ever released) but they did the back up for her too...Carole King wanted them to be her back up singers, but they wanted to settle down and have families. Why didn't I ever have a chance like that ???
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. Ralph Waldo Emerson
Updated On: 8/1/04 at 10:30 PM
bta212 Profile Photobta212 Profile Photo
bta212
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Carole King#8
Posted: 1/21/05 at 11:47pm
Just letting myself roam aimlessly around iTunes and ended up buying "Really Rosie" and "Tapestry" for the Pod. Wow--these are the albums that got me through some dark days of high school; it's so odd to listen to them now as the fully-realized (?) adult I never thought I'd be--thanks Carole.
"They have never understood, and no reason that they should. But if anybody could . . . " --SS
sweetiedarlinmia Profile Photosweetiedarlinmia Profile Photo
sweetiedarlinmia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Carole King#9
Posted: 1/21/05 at 11:59pm
After hearing Tapestry the first time, I bought the sheet music to the entire album and determined to learn it all. Great music, great songwriter.
marincrazy11 Profile Photomarincrazy11 Profile Photo
marincrazy11
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Carole King#10
Posted: 1/22/05 at 1:47am
She is amazing. I remember having an argument with a friend over "You've Got A Friend" and when I corrected her on who wrote it she didn't even know who Carole King was. Shame shame shame. My mom grew up listening to her and she is the one who is responsible for turning me on to her. We own her Greatest Hits, Tapestry, and Really Rosie. Such a brilliant singer/songwriter. I love her!
"Did you know that if you take the first two vowels in Olive and rearrange them it spells I-Love?"-Spelling Bee "It's night like this that hotel bars were specifically made." Light In The Piazza
MargoChanning Profile PhotoMargoChanning Profile Photo
MargoChanning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Carole King#11
Posted: 1/22/05 at 2:30am
I've loved Tapestry forever and just finally got around to adding it to my IPOD last week. Genius.
"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
wink
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Carole King#12
Posted: 1/22/05 at 8:42am
Tapstry has always been one of my favorites. I don't think my sister knows I still have her album she got years ago.
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Carole King#13
Posted: 1/22/05 at 9:59am
Jungle - that sounds like a fabulous evening - thanks for sharing it with a little detail and feeling.

While I was reading I tried to decide whether to post that Tapetry has been a treasure in my life - after reading through the thread, it's obvious that I'm not alone.
BwayLover Profile PhotoBwayLover Profile Photo
BwayLover
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Carole King#14
Posted: 1/22/05 at 11:29am
DGrant, I like the way you put it. Indeed, Tapestry has been a treasure in my life, as well.
"Years from now, when you talk about this - And you will - Be kind. "
junglered
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Carole King#15
Posted: 1/22/05 at 1:29pm
Wow - what a treat to see my Carole King thread from last August bumped up today! In honor of Carole and all the Carole fans here at BWW, here are the lyrics to one of my favorites:

I feel the earth move under my feet
I feel the sky tumbling down, tumbling down
I feel my heart start to trembling
Whenever you're around

Ooh, baby, when I see your face
Mellow as the month of May
Oh, darling, I can't stand it
When you look at me that way

I feel my heart start to trembling
Whenever you're around

Oh, darling, when you're near me
And you tenderly call my name
I know that my emotions
Are something I just can't tame
I've just got to have you, baby

I feel the sky tumbling down
I just lose control
Down to my very soul
I get a hot and cold all over
I feel the sky tumbling down,
Tumbling down, tumbling down...
zippyjen Profile Photozippyjen Profile Photo
zippyjen
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Carole King#16
Posted: 1/22/05 at 1:40pm
I'm sorry i am saying the same as you all but yes tapestry is one of the greatest albums ever made!!!! Every song on that record is just amazing.
"At the opening night party, they had clowns on stilts, jugglers, a chocolate fountain, popcorn, hot dogs. [My son] looked at me like I had been holding back. Like, 'This is what you do?' I had to tell him, 'No, no, darling. Opening nights don't usually look like this.' It's usually a dark bar with a bottle of vodka." ?Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's Jan Maxwell plus i proudly share the title of the shortest member over the age of 10 with wickedrentq!
MaTakeALookAtMe Profile PhotoMaTakeALookAtMe Profile Photo
MaTakeALookAtMe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Carole King#17
Posted: 1/22/05 at 1:43pm
She is amazing. I find myself randomly walking through my house singing "I Feel the Earth Move.' It's not a pretty sight, but I love the song.
junglered
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Carole King#18
Posted: 1/22/05 at 1:58pm
Yes, it is a terrific song...just not the version that "Mary" sang at the end of American Idol last Tuesday night (for anyone who was unfortunate enough to witness that travesty).
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile PhotoInfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Carole King#19
Posted: 1/22/05 at 2:37pm
Really Rosie really is a well- crafted children's show...
[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.
Annie Get Your Rose Profile PhotoAnnie Get Your Rose Profile Photo
Annie Get Your Rose
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Carole King#20
Posted: 1/22/05 at 4:10pm
Not really saying anything new, but Tapestry is a classic. One of the best albums of all time!
CurtainUp Profile PhotoCurtainUp Profile Photo
CurtainUp
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Carole King#21
Posted: 1/22/05 at 4:10pm
She IS fabulous, more my parents generation but I love being introduced to music that's not crap (my generation)'s. Her voice is so mellow and soothing. What a talent.
Rosencrantz: "Be happy - if you're not even HAPPY what's so good about surviving? We'll be all right. I suppose we just go on." - from Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
sweetiedarlinmia Profile Photosweetiedarlinmia Profile Photo
sweetiedarlinmia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Carole King#22
Posted: 1/22/05 at 4:22pm
I have the CD, the album, in addition to the sheet music. I have a tendency to yell at my friends when they refer to "Where You Lead" as "That Gilmore Girls Song." NO YOU FOOLS! THAT IS THE WONDERFUL CAROLE KING! GET IT RIGHT!
AReinkingfan Profile PhotoAReinkingfan Profile Photo
AReinkingfan
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Carole King#23
Posted: 1/22/05 at 9:33pm
Another phenomenal album of Carole's is "Fantasy". If you haven't heard it before, give it a try. It's one of the several that I grew up listening to in the 70's and it is truly fantastic.

Does anyone know if "Music, Music" ever made it to CD? (I think that is the name of it.)
"Life without music equals death."
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Carole King#24
Posted: 1/22/05 at 10:16pm
(runs to dig out Really Rosie video and watch it)