Accentuate The Positive, Eliminate The Negative!!!!

Marc Shaiman Profile PhotoMarc Shaiman Profile Photo
Marc Shaiman
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
OH MY GOD!!!!

I only now finally discovered I could completely BLOCK seeing posts or threads by certain blue meanies!!!

GLORY BE!!!!!

If only life had this feature!!!
Updated On: 7/11/04 at 01:47 AM
marincrazy11 Profile Photomarincrazy11 Profile Photo
marincrazy11
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
haha! :)
"Did you know that if you take the first two vowels in Olive and rearrange them it spells I-Love?"-Spelling Bee "It's night like this that hotel bars were specifically made." Light In The Piazza
Phantom2 Profile PhotoPhantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Don't go there.
"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher
SMichaelK Profile PhotoSMichaelK Profile Photo
SMichaelK
Stand-by
Stand-by
Maybe it's due to my very recent discovery of Skyy Melon vodka... but great topic name, and yes I'm glad you discovered this it make life on this message board a very tolerable thing
You, you are the worst thing to happen to musical theater since Andrew Lloyd Webber... and you I just don't like you.
boborunstheshow Profile Photoboborunstheshow Profile Photo
boborunstheshow
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
actually, its "accentuate" the positive
Its Aberqurque NM for me. Speaking Spanish. Be Back September 06.
CATSNYrevival Profile PhotoCATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yes, that is true. The grammar police have spoken! re: Accent The Positive, Eliminate The Nagative!!!!
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I LOVE that feature.. though I have only used it on one or two peope
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This is exactly the attitude that I think needs to be eliminated in our political system. Some seem to think that if they don't like something, it can just be blocked and or eliminated. What the hell happened to the concept of 'live and let live?' Are we THAT intimidated by thoughts or words that wouldn't come tumbling out of our own mouths? What some might consider negative - or false - or rude - or anything - might be interpreted completely differently by someone else. NO ONE'S opinion in these matters is correct - it's all just opinion! Get over ALL of yourselves - no matter WHO you are, and go about your business. If you don't like something, turn away - but if you just pretend it doesn't exist, then you're not living in the real world - and the rest of us will miss you.
boborunstheshow
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I think someone isn't eliminating the negitive...
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I know - Barney would be appalled.
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
DGrant. I think you're letting your animosity toward Marc get in the way of the real issue here which is this: papa's a pig.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I have no animosity toward Marc whatsoever. And having some interaction with Papa in PM's, he's not a pig just because he doesn't agree with you. He happens to have a vast amount of knowledge to back up his opinions - which are different from mine, by the way - and he also has a tremendous awareness to put it all in perspective. If the 'liberals' around here can't stand up to him with awareness and knowledge, then they are doomed to the fate they seem to continually live - sniveling, whining, needy babies.
boborunstheshow
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
do NOT correct me
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
boborunstheshow
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

its bobo. You know that
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I was just gonna say that. It's bobo!!!!
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
" If the 'liberals' around here can't stand up to him with awareness and knowledge, then they are doomed to the fate they seem to continually live - sniveling, whining, needy babies."

Well, as one of the biggest bleeding heart, Birkenstock-wearing, granola-eating peaceniks in the crowd, let me say, catagorically, that although I rarely agree with papa on anything political... and frequently go head to head with him over issues...that I have great respect for his intellect and his ability to debate. He calls it as he sees it...no matter how misguided (Bush is NOT the answer...).

There's a caste system in an early stage of developement here. Unbelieveable personal nastiness has been tolerated toward less popular posters...just ask the likes of Mr. Roxy and Corine. And I'm indicting all of us who stood by and watched the bashings take place, not specifically faulting the management. (I'm not even letting myself off the hook here, because I kept quiet, too, not wanting to be "marked"....ask Jose' about how *that* works...) But come along with a parody....yep, a little sharp-edged to be sure, but based on easily recognizable traits or phenomena, or god forbid, say something that possibly makes some valid points about a VIP or the people sucking up to said VIP, and suddenly the sh*t hits the fan. I didn't see the people calling Mrs Roxy (who didn't even post here) trailer park trash being called pigs. Re-read *that* little gem of a thread, and then talk to me about nastiness.

papa's a colorful guy, and as such is going to attract strong reactions, pro and con. But without belaboring the point, there are lines that NO ONE should cross on a message board. And when threats are made, even in jest, to involve one's job or family in a message board dispute, that's just plain wrong, and I don't care who the person is, how talented they are, or how many friends they have.

I'll climb off my soapbox now. I just needed to vent.
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Amen, sister.
etoile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You look good on a soapbox.

Of course, that's after you used those electric curlers of yours on hair that's been befuddled by this humidity.

A lady should always strives to look her best in public, or that's what I've read somewhere.
Rest in peace, Iflitifloat.
orion59 Profile Photoorion59 Profile Photo
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"DGrant. I think you're letting your animosity toward Marc get in the way of the real issue here which is this: papa's a pig."

I am fascinated by this statement. Tell me please, just how does a wise and worldly 16 year old define pig? Seriously, I would like to know. Is a person considered a pig because his view points don't exactly match yours? Is he a pig beacsue he saw something happening that he found both annoying and amusing and chose to mak fun of it? Is he a pig because he finds much of the teenage drivel on the board intolerable? Maybe it's because he defends his views, however unpopular they may be with others becasue he doesn't have a pathological need to be accepted and loved by strangers on a message board.

I am almost at the polar opposite of many of Papa's views yet have never had the urge to refer to him or anyone else as a pig. I would prefer to listen to or read a well thought out, intellegent argument by someone with whom I disagree than to be on the same side as someone who resorts to childish name calling because they are unable to form an intelligent argument.

When you grow up, you will hopefully realize that not everyone in the world will agree on any given subject. That's the way life is and the sooner you realize that, the better off you'll be.

Iflit, stay up on that soapbox a while longer. There are too many people on them who have no idea what they are talking about. We nee as many as possible who are articulate, intelligent and mature to voice some reasonable arguments.
http://www.danperezgallery.com
Marc Shaiman
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Funny how those who write posts filled with "jest" (as iflit rightfully called my threat of exposure) have such a thin skin when the tables are turned.

Message boards are the modern equivalent of "letters to the editors" where you will often see "name withheld" due to serious problems revealed such as rape, abuse, bankruptcy, etc

My point has only been just this on this issue, from Ms. LocalOneCrew (who I bet is a doll) to Papa (who is often undeniably funny)...Don't hide behind this "Message Boards Members Right To Anonymity " (which someone just went and made up some years ago) to be deliberately cruel to either a person or a production...stand by your words is all Iím asking.

I have written parody lyrics my entire life, some seen by million and millions of people (uh oh, I just self ass kissed again!) and I do it with MY NAME IN THE CREDITS...my name, my reputation, my finances are all thrown into the bargain when I choose to get pointed in my parodyÖ(Pointed In My Parody, I believe that was an old English music hall show)

watch SOUTH PARK-Bigger, Longer & Uncut for just one example

OH MY GOOD LORD, I just mentioned a credit of mine...blasphemy!!! How dare I speak of my own life and experiences in here! Off with my head!

anyway, I'm as bored as you with this particular debate

back to real life...
joeyjoe Profile Photojoeyjoe Profile Photo
joeyjoe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Marc, i didn't see any of that in "Jackie's Back"...
orion59 Profile Photoorion59 Profile Photo
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Marc, you can't compare your parodies with a message board. that's what you do for a living so, naturally, your name is going to be on the credits. If you choose to ost on a message board using your own name, that's your choice and doesn't necessarily mean that everyone should. You, youself have mentioned in threads that you were aware the possible ramifications when you chose to do so. Not everyone has to be willing to take the same risks.

I would agree that if soemone is going to use the anonimity of a message board to mean and insult others, that is wrong. it is cowardly. However, unless I've missed something, I haven't seen Papa write anything unusally cruel except in defense of himself. The thread that seems to have started so much of this debate was a parody of the board. It wasn't very much different from the Pick A Little, Post A Little parody that you created or the posts that I did pardoying you in the dog thread. No body took those as soemthing hurtful. it was all seen as good natured.

I think the issue is not what is said but by whom. Some people can get away with becasue they are liked. Papa cannot get away with it as easily opinions often differ from those of other memebrs and he I seen in a different light.
http://www.danperezgallery.com
Marc Shaiman
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Orion,

I stress this is my opinion, not some law I am enforcing.

I find there not to be such a difference between parodies I have been involved with professionaly and a message boards...they are both expressions of opinions...

and you'll notice my FACE and name attached to pick-a-little...(which was a pretty good analogy, touche!)

the difference at least to me on that count is I AM DRESSED IN RIDICULOUS WIGS AND BOAS!! Making more a fool of myself then anyone "type" of person I am parodying, showing perhaps that parody is best served when you also send up yourself

anyhooooo, let's all go see a movie...get out...take in a play...whadaya say?