Page: 1

Need the wise advice of BWW.com people

orion59 Profile Photoorion59 Profile Photo
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Need the wise advice of BWW.com people#0
Posted: 6/4/04 at 10:30am
I'm in the final stages of planning my Tony party and have dug out the box of BW memoribilia. My plan is to use a collection of Playbills, posters, programs, props, etc in groupings along the buffet table as decoration.

Here's my dilemma;

I have certain items that are questionable becasue they are photos taken backstage at events, at parties or other social events. I also have a number of autographed photos, press kits and publicity materials from various shows.

Is it pretentious to use any of this?
Are photos taken backstage, autographed photos or photos in which I appear going to basically say "Look what I've done and where I've been?"

I go back and forth on considering their use. The theme of the party is a history of BW and I see some of these items as kind of a piece of that history. On the other hand, I think it looks showy and pretentious.

Anyone care to give opinions?
http://www.danperezgallery.com
Zola Q. LaPlaya Profile PhotoZola Q. LaPlaya Profile Photo
Zola Q. LaPlaya
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Orion:

The people you invited are your friends, right? So who gives a rat's patootie what they think. Decorate well and they will love you -- plus, keep the vodka flowing.
Stop worrying about what I'm doing -- focus instead on what you're eating.
redhotinnyc2 Profile Photoredhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Personally, I think I'd leave the photos of yourself with "who you know" out of the mix, only because it can come off as looking very egotistical (even though that is definitely not your intention.) so many people associate theatre people with large, overblown egos - so its best not to perpetuate this idea any more than necessary. Sounds like you have some great stuff, and the idea of using it as decoration for the party is nice. Leave the other stuff for the people who actually ask to see it, that way you're letting them open the conversation to who you know and what you've done.
"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!
etoile Profile Photoetoile Profile Photo
etoile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I don't think there's anything pretentious about it. My only advice is to caution you. You may want to have all these tabletop posters, playbill, photos covered with clear vinyl tablecloth. You can buy the vinyl by the yard at most fabric/craft outlets.
Rest in peace, Iflitifloat.
DAME Profile PhotoDAME Profile Photo
DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Honey;
Just make sure you do whatever it takes to protect that stuff. You don't some kind of red wine incident ruining your stuff.
HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

There's always plenty of vodka so now worries there, Zola
Updated On: 6/4/04 at 10:51 AM
DAME Profile PhotoDAME Profile Photo
DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What; It's Tony night and no Mojitos?
HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
everything will be situated to avoid being ruined. I like the idea of the clear vinyl tablecloth. That will allow me to actually put things flat on the table as oppsoed to just setting them up along the back.

It will take a bit of figuring out though. The table cloth is going to be black with small footlights running across the front edge....a stage. I guess the clear vinyl can go over teh table cloth and under the lights or just be cut to stop at the lights. Thanks for the grat idea.
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Never fear, Dame. Mojitos will also be available along with the "Wicked" vodka shots.
nystateomind04 Profile Photonystateomind04 Profile Photo
nystateomind04
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
sounds like fun
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Need the wise advice of BWW.com people#10
Posted: 6/4/04 at 12:37pm
I agree with Zola, if they are really your friends they will enjoy seeing them. But I would advise keeping anything you can't afford to part with out of the mix. Why not encourage your guests to bring their own photos and memorabilia that way you can all share your memories!
PEACE.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Need the wise advice of BWW.com people#11
Posted: 6/4/04 at 12:43pm
Sueleen - that's the best idea yet!
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Need the wise advice of BWW.com people#12
Posted: 6/4/04 at 12:48pm
I like that idea. One of the things that made me question what I was going to use is the fact that a couple of my guests are actors and one is an assocaite producer. They are the reason I get to go certain places and get cool things. They all have their own memoribila that they could bring along.

I'm glad I posted this thread because not only am I getting opinions on my original question, I'm also getting some great last minute ideas to incorporate into the party.
nystateomind04 Profile Photonystateomind04 Profile Photo
nystateomind04
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Need the wise advice of BWW.com people#13
Posted: 6/4/04 at 12:53pm
my friends are having a sopranos party, and i'll be turning them down to watch the tonys by myself. *sigh* oh well, it'll be worth it to get to see all of the performances, then maybe i can channel surf over to HBO when they are actually giving the awards out (after all, im sure they'll be by-the-minute updates over here re: Need the wise advice of BWW.com people)
BwayTheatre11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I wish I had more friends that are Broadway loving fans so I can host a Tony Party...
CCM '10!
Phantom2 Profile PhotoPhantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I would only show the nude shots.
"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher
BwayTheatre11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Nude shots?! Where?! re: Need the wise advice of BWW.com people
CCM '10!