Page: 2

Approval rating down; security alert up

orion59 Profile Photoorion59 Profile Photo
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
How can one not find some little bit of humor in the whole thing? Certainly the idea of innocent people being murdered by terrorists has no humor in it at all but, the way in which our government reports information and tries toemploy scare tactics and build a sense of "we are keeping you safe" does have some humor in it.

I turned on the news this morning as I was getting ready for work. The big story (after the church closings in the Boston area) was the discovery of there being "A very high potential for a terrorist threat on the US sometime this summer." Yet the color code, which of course we all understand and are grateful for because it gives us a sense of security, remains yellow as it has been since January. We know that there is a threat, we somehow learned this through some reliable source yet we have no more specific information. So, we broadcast this warning and have our vigilant citizens (mostly paranoids and old ladies) keep a watchful eye on anyone who gets onto a train or bus carrying a backpack or approaches a public building with a large package. After a while it starts to sound like a Tom Clancy novel.

I'm not saying American's should take the threat of terrorism lightly. We've seen what they are capable of. I'm not saying, either, that we shouldn't be aware of suspicious activity but, there is a certain amount of humor in the way our government is reporting these threats to build a sense of patriotism and a feeling of well being because our government has our backs. I tend to belive that if there were any real danger, any specific threat or knowledge of a terroist plan, we wouldn't be heraing about it on the morning news squeezed between the local items about churches and the traffic report.

http://www.danperezgallery.com
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: approval rating down; security alert up#27
Posted: 5/26/04 at 10:04am
well, i certainly understand the cynics here who feel that this is just more nonsense from the rove camp to sway eyes away from polls and such. however the very fact that it's fleet week here in nyc and i'm just a few blocks from the hudson where they're about to park several warships gives me pause. in advance of the johnny and tommy show this afternoon, i thought i'd take a moment to jot down my feelings on alerts and threats and the possibility of vaporization.

from everything i've heard so far, there is an marked increase in "chatter" comparable to that which was heard in the summer of 2001. there is no specific threat, no specific time, no specific venue, no specific method, just the shared notion that something spectacular is in the works. now it was not so long ago that the terrorists in spain mentioned in their missive that operation "black winds" was almost ready, whatever that meant. being that i'm sitting in one of the favored target areas, i'd rather know that there's something in the works. not that it'll do me any good, in the end should they pull off a massive attack that wipes out the west side, but it does afford me the opportunity to look my summer plans and perhaps adjust them accordingly. is that letting the terrorist win? i don't give a flying fig if doing so means that mrs. mambo and i live to have little mambos.

with regard to the threat level, without specific information, is it possible that they learned their lesson from the last few times? is there a chance that they realize that this time something's different and that they should hold off raising the threat level until doing so might actually do something other than make people yawn? and is it possible that we are displacing blame for the hysteria with which this story is being reported on the white house? last time i checked, the white house press releases were rather bland on this subject and the hysteria came from the media and their anonymous sources. anonymous sources, funny enough, like those that the ny times today blames for it's misleading (some might even say untruthful) coverage of the wmds in iraq.

so, be cynical by all means. dark humor in the face of an amorphous threat that may or may not present itself in catastrophic fury is healthy. but let's be a little bit more liberal in our blame for any hysterics. if anyone needs me, i'll be in my fallout shelter hoarding duct tape.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: approval rating down; security alert up#28
Posted: 5/26/04 at 10:18am
I have no doubt that the information is true. Has anyone NOT thought "they" were already in the US. Does anyone thought for a second that we're going to make it through the elections with nothing happening? But, I've gotta tell you, I'm feeling extremely manipulated by the timing of its release. I even commented during Bush's lackluster speech the other night that "oops...gonna have to raise the terror alert to deflect criticism from this one...".

Information that is not new, that is not specific, and hasn't even been shared with high ranking officials in LA or NYC...well, just ask yourself why it had to be released as a special news report on the day after Bush appeared on primetime. It's become so predictable that it would be laughable if this were at all funny.

I detest this administration. I don't like 'em, don't respect 'em, and don't trust 'em. It a sad state of affairs.
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
Updated On: 5/26/04 at 10:18 AM
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: approval rating down; security alert up#29
Posted: 5/26/04 at 10:20am
it's the day after the day after, iflit, and you don't think that your admitted detestation of the administration at all colors your assessment does it?

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: approval rating down; security alert up#30
Posted: 5/26/04 at 10:30am
Of course it shades it...never said it didn't. But the fact remains that the timing of information that is handed out to us looks suspiciously like it is politically timed. And call me crazy, but it also seems like it was released during primetime for maximum effect.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: approval rating down; security alert up#31
Posted: 5/26/04 at 10:34am
ahh, but who does that profit? could it be the news organizations who scream scoop and exclusive and use threat in 75 point fonts? damn, it's more of that conservative media bias!

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: approval rating down; security alert up#32
Posted: 5/26/04 at 11:08am
Ah, yes, but the information given to the press was released by a "government official".
ckeaton Profile Photockeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: approval rating down; security alert up#33
Posted: 5/26/04 at 12:46pm
The people who complain about the "alert system" being a joke are the same people that will complain when something happens, and they feel that they weren't adequately warned.

Suspend reality for a moment:
You are sitting at your big oak desk, and a memo shows up saying that emails have been intercepted which reference preperations for a major string of suicide bombings... Do you push the alert, do you notify the media? Or do you file the memo away and pray to God that nothing happens, because you know that the memo in your hand will be your obituary if it does.

If I were at the oak desk, I would be open an honest...within reason. If I see a credible threat, damn it I'm going to tell everyone who will listen, because it's the only fair thing to do.

Maybe there are some acrobatics about the timing, but I don't doubt the information.
Hamlet's father.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
ck, you have to understand that this is a perfect scenario.

if the government does nothing and there's a terrorist strike, they did nothing to warn us.

if there are warnings, they are merely more exagerrations by an untrustworthy administration meant to inflame an already terrified population and distract from the myriad of scandals and failures plaguing it.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

Updated On: 5/26/04 at 01:27 PM
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It's not the infomation I'm questioning. It's the timing of the delivery.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
couldn't it have been timed to coincide with the beginning of fleet week today in one of the highest value target areas? i mean it makes sense to me to have a call for awareness and heightened sense of security when you're bringing warships (which they have already attacked, uss cole) into a city (new york, which they have already attacked twice) when there has been an increased amount of chatter. but, that's just me.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

ckeaton Profile Photockeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It's an eerie thought.

I remember several years ago when I was studying the Cuban Missle Crisis, I couldn't comprehend what it was like to live underneath a constant and building threat. The thought that a person could be immolated at their own dinner table was enough to make me want to buy a home in rural Montana.

And yet today, I'm shopping for land. (metaphorically speaking)
Hamlet's father.
orion59 Profile Photoorion59 Profile Photo
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
My problem with this situation is not a mistrust of the information or even it's timing so much as it the fear factor placed on the reports. That may be the sole fault of the media as Papa said. I figure by now we all know that some major event like Fleet Week or the upcoming Democratic and Republican Conventions can possibly be a target of terrorism. A gentle reminder of this should be sufficient enough after the events of 911 to make people more aware of suspicious activity. Seeing a flashing "TERROR ALERT" message blazing on the tv screen then hearing "talk of possible threat.....nothing specific" serves nobody. It only creates fear for thos ethat lean in that direction already. If tehre were something very specific, I would expect to hear very little of it on teh news because our government would be, hoepfully, responding to it without wanting to panic the nation or give any information to the suspected terrorists.

I'm sorry but,old Mrs Callahan down the street who sits on her porch with her cats eyeing every stranger is not the best line of defense for our country. I think the government knows this and, in the event of a real, plausible threat, would handle it differently. That'swhy i find it hard to get too worked up over teh warnings. I know it can happen any time anywhere and that we all need to be aware but the over done reports on the news, the bold headlines that hint at an important story within the pages of the paper and the grave looks on the faces of the news anchors just doesn't work for me.
http://www.danperezgallery.com
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
the fact that 7 specific names and faces were put out there suggests to me that this is an exercise which has less to do with the american people than it does with an attempt to send a message to al qaeda. probably it's an attempt to make them move or spook them into revealing themselves or some point of their plan. if publicizing these faces, leads to information about their whereabouts and possible capture (a la america's most wanted), so much the better.

who knows. this might be the administration's way of sending a message saying that these 7 have already been either apprehended or killed. a cowboy greeting of, "yeah we got your boys and the little girl too." doubtful, but possible.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
ah, how times have changed, huh?

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

Q
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The more things change . . .

Quite a trip down memory lane here, huh?

uncageg Profile Photouncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Did the announcement happen in the middle of the President's speech last night? I was at work. Taped the speech but have yet to watch it.
Just give the world Love.
YouWantitWhen???? Profile PhotoYouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well except this alert actually steps on the messaging the White House is putting out on jobs and the economy after a well-received speech.

So, at least one thing was not like the other.

madbrian Profile Photomadbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I found the GOP reaction to the speech rather interesting. Admittedly, I was only able to watch snippets during timeouts during the Packers/Saints game, but I was rather surprised by the cautious optimism expressed by some of the GOP leadership. It was an interesting contrast to see Boehner, Cantor and GOP comittee chairs reacting fairly positively while the 2012 presidential candidates were going out of their way to bash a speech that was almost universally acknowledged as bipartisan.
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
romantico Profile Photoromantico Profile Photo
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
AT least this President Doesn't use the high security alert EVERY OTHER DAY like Shrub did.

Times have changed. We have a President who can talk in complete sentences who is not a war criminal or lied us into war.
'There are three sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently' -Robert Evans-
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
O'Hare airport has been playing the exact same security announcement stating that the threat level is "orange" for the last ten years. It's sort of hard to take it seriously when they're really just being lazy about it.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wait. Did I miss something? There's a 9-11 security alert?

I don't even pay attention anymore.