College major?

BroadwayBoy2005 Profile PhotoBroadwayBoy2005 Profile Photo
BroadwayBoy2005
Stand-by
Stand-by
College major?#0
Posted: 4/25/04 at 2:52pm
Hey everyone,
Since I'm about to finish my 11th grade year of high school, college is on my mind a lot. I've been thinking about what I want to be and being a high school drama teacher sounds like the best road for me. What would I need to major in college for that particular career?
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: College major?#1
Posted: 4/25/04 at 2:58pm
Based on what I've seen in my children's schools... it doesn't seem to matter much. Being an English teacher seems to have done the trick for them.

If I were you, I'd look into schools where you can get a theater/education double major, or else schools that offer a theater degree within their college of education.
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
newyorkuniq Profile Photonewyorkuniq Profile Photo
newyorkuniq
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: College major?#2
Posted: 4/25/04 at 2:58pm
I suggest going in undecided and then choosing a major year 2 of college:) Then you get to play in all different areas and decide what you really want to do.
TheaterBaby Profile PhotoTheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: College major?#3
Posted: 4/25/04 at 3:05pm
I would say Eduction as a Major and Drama as a Minor (or vice versa?) Or double major in those areas.
"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: College major?#4
Posted: 4/25/04 at 5:14pm
A lot of people who've graduated with BAs in Theatre from Fordham University have gone on to teach drama. I'm not sure that they went into a school for education as well, however with a BA in theatre from the right school, it shouldn't be a problem. And you can always get a master's in education.
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: College major?#5
Posted: 4/25/04 at 5:22pm
To teach it sort of depends on what level you want to teach and what your focus is. You may have to go for advanced training in a Master's or doctoral degree. You might want to look into a program that offers a degree in dramaturgy.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: College major?#6
Posted: 4/26/04 at 11:23am
In some states, you can major in Theatre and take only the required Education courses to be certified for a teaching position.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
BwayTheatre11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: re: College major?#7
Posted: 4/26/04 at 12:46pm
College is attacking my mind and I am only 16. HELP! Theatre and my future career is taking over my mind! It is all I think about. I'm not complaining, but it is frustrating.
CCM '10!
Updated On: 4/26/04 at 12:46 PM
musicalmjk Profile Photomusicalmjk Profile Photo
musicalmjk
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well it depends some colleges offer Theatre education as a major. but i hear that it isnt a great major if you want to be a high school theatre teacher. if your going into high school education id say work on another subject liek english closely connected to theatre because there isnt a demand for theatre teachers and then when in graduate school do theatre. go that way.
need to defrag my brain.