newyorkuniq Profile Photonewyorkuniq Profile Photo
newyorkuniq
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Andy Kaufman Celebration#0
Posted: 4/22/04 at 9:40pm
I just found this online.....

"Stage Set for Andy Kaufman Return From the Dead "

"Just so youll know Im not nuts, I do believe hes dead. So says Bob Zmuda, speaking of Andy Kaufman, whose legacy will be celebrated May 16 at the House of Blues on L.A.s Sunset Strip. The big issue is whether Andy will emerge from hiding on the 20th anniversary of his death.
Zmuda tells this column he is taking out more than 100 ads in the United States and abroad inviting Kaufman to appear. At the very least, a very Kaufmanesque, star-filled evening is promised. Thats according to Zmuda -- Kaufmans writer, producer and partner in crime in pulling off such stunts as Kaufmans Carnegie Hall performance that culminated with the entire audience boarding buses to go out for milk and cookies with Andy, followed by a trip the next morning on the Staten Island Ferry with ice cream cones and Kaufman offering to wrestle any woman aboard. Zmuda says plans are in place for a foolproof I.D. test, so any fake Kaufmans will be routed out.

If you caught 1999s Man on the Moon in which Jim Carrey played Kaufman, you know that the comic talked with several of those closest to him about faking his own death. In fact, he told his girlfriend, actress Lynn Margulies (who was played by Courtney Love in the movie), If I was going to be a boy about it, Id be in hiding for 10 years. If I was going to be a man about it, I would be in hiding 20 years.

Zmuda recalls pushing Kaufman around in his wheelchair at the hospital when Andy was being treated for lung cancer. He was going through radiation, down to 90 pounds, and had no hair because of the chemotherapy and still, people would come up to him and say, Andy you with this dying routine! People believed he would go to any length to pull off a joke.

The spiritual godfather of bizarro comedians and performance artists will be remembered by the likes of Rodney Dangerfield, Caroline Rhea, Paul Rudd, Phil Hendrie and the nasty lounge singer Tony Clifton at the event. In addition, an announcement about a new Comic Relief enterprise will be made, according to Zmuda, who founded that highly-regarded help organization. Zmuda also says a never-before-seen Kaufman film will be shown and that there will be surprises. Its gonna be weird.