Is your wallet beginning to bleed?

Craig Profile PhotoCraig Profile Photo
Craig
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is your wallet beginning to bleed?#0
Posted: 3/31/04 at 5:09pm
Surprised no one has commented on this yet: (from Newsday)

Taxi passengers starting in May will pay an extra $1 during the evening rush hiking the average fare then by almost 40 percent as part of a comprehensive rate increase package approved Tuesday.

The new rates bump the initial cost of a ride from $2 to $2.50 and increase a trip from Kennedy Airport to Manhattan from $35 to $45.

An average day time trip defined as 2.64 miles, including five minutes of waiting time would increase from $6.85 to $8.50, or about 25 percent.

The TLC expects the rate hike will increase drivers' after-expenses salaries to at least $13 to $20 per hour, from between $9 and $17.

article
"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: is your wallet beginning to bleed?#1
Posted: 3/31/04 at 5:10pm
all right, i can start robbing cabbies again and make some real money at it!
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
orion59 Profile Photoorion59 Profile Photo
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A little off the topic of this thread but...Do the nYC cabs still have those weird, celebrity recorded seat belt messages? I haven't been in a NYC cab in a while. When they first started doing them I jumped into cab one night and jumped out my skin when I heard Eartha Kitt purring from the speaker behind me and saying "Put on your seat belt, you dirty little boy" or something to that effect.
http://www.danperezgallery.com
Craig
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I haven't heard them in any of the cabs I've taken over the past year...
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Maybe they stopped doing them. They probably scared people. it's a bit unnerving to get into a cab and suddenly hear Eartha, James Earl Jones or Chita telling you to buckle up
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
they got rid of them a little over a year ago. i remember hearing about it and cheering that i would no longer hear michael buffer screaming "let's get ready to buuuuuuckle!"

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Speaking of Eartha and Baranski on another thread, it reminds me of one of the funniest lines I have ever haerd Eartha utter. It was in that short lived Kristine Barbnski TV show a few yeras ago where Eartha ocassionally played the weird neighbor. She is shopping in a supermarket with the other characters, one of whom picks up a frozen hors d ourves package. eartha looks at them and says "AHHH, pigs in a blanket. Those are Lauren Bacall's favorite."

Ok, sorry, my brain is free flowing this evening. I have a full dress reherasal in an hour and it's the last one before I perform in front of an audience.....I get a little strange with nerves around this time of a production.
Updated On: 3/31/04 at 06:01 PM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Pity. I missed the Rockettes telling me to buckle up.

Or was it the cast of 42nd Street?

Now I don't remember. Nor do I buckle.
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Between this, subway fares going up almost yearly & taxes about to go through the ceiling due to court ordered spending increases on education ( NY already spends more per capita than anywhere else in the country with abysmal results) people & businesses will be leaving . If I was 30 years younger, I'd leave in a minute
Poster Emeritus
MasterLcZ Profile PhotoMasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Papa, has it been THAT long they have been gone?! But you're right...they haven't been on in a while.

THANK the baby Jesus.

The Rockettes were among the worst, with those tapping toes hammering in your brain...but equally bad were buffer and "Are My Gold Medals back there" missy Olympic champ - whoever she was..but NONE were as bad as that SESAME STREET muppet who sounded like he was on poppers (Gee...maybe it was voiced by one of the AVENUE Q gang).."What's a reciept?!?"
"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
Updated On: 3/31/04 at 06:27 PM
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I can understand that these fares have to go up every so often, but 26 per cent? That's outrageous. I heard one reporter say that taxi fares in NY are the lowest all over the world.
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
DofB5
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
is your wallet beginning to bleed?#11
Posted: 3/31/04 at 8:06pm
I guess I'd better print the maps of where I want go so I don't get cheated. I've already heard how a taxi driver will drive around a block 2 or 3 times to run the fare up if your new to the city and don't know where your going.

D
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: is your wallet beginning to bleed?#12
Posted: 3/31/04 at 8:16pm
D, it seems as if you have taken every NY horror story ever told to heart, don't drink the water, the cabbies will drive you from 43rd to 54th via Queens. Just be decisive, march on into Duane Reade and say "One large Dannon water," or climb in a cab, and state your destination without saying, "I have no idea where I am! These buildings are HUGE!" Just be direct, and you're golden.

Don't walk around with a sandwich on your shoes, tho, because the alligators in the sewers will eat you wedgies. Being from Fla., you know how serious that can be.
Chat with the groan-ups: https://twitter.com/NamoInExile
DofB5
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: is your wallet beginning to bleed?#13
Posted: 3/31/04 at 8:42pm
Oh I haven't told you half the things I've been told to do/not do/avoid. The taking me aside to ask if I know how to defend myself, do I know where to hit a man to do the most damage, do I have a can of pepper spray I can take with me and this from men (not women) who claim to have lived in NYC!

And now you tell me there are alligators in the sewers! Geez, Namo, just how many rounds should I pack for my elephant gun?
re: re:  is your wallet beginning to bleed?
D
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Listen, I roll around in raw meat and walk alone through Central Park after dark a LOT! And I escape every time with nary a scratch.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
was that you by the resevoir, namo?

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yes, tossing pennies and making wishes. New York City magic, I tell ya.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
oh is that what the kids are calling it nowadays, tossing pennies, eh?

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

DofB5
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I can't for the life of me think why no one would walk with you when your covered with raw meat but what can I say?

D
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well, maybe it wasn't meat, exactly.
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
DofB5, Coincidentally, I also heard on the same news report about the fare hikes, that maps were going to be installed in the cabs so that passengers can instruct the drivers to take the route they prefer. Then the reporter said the drivers didn't like that idea. duh.
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
Corine2 Profile PhotoCorine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That is terrible news but cabbies need to make a living.
I can't afford taxi cabs and always take the MTA.
Even after midnight.
Thank god for the unlimited week metro cards, i never leave home without it. It is better then an American Express card.
I LOVE NY.
Updated On: 3/31/04 at 11:11 PM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

most if not all nyc cabs already have a map on the back of the front seat.
the only time ive ever been 'taken for a ride' in a cab was when i was in Hartford.
sabrelady Profile Photosabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
WHINERS! Our cabs in TO start @4.80 for the 1st 3/5th of a mile & go up every 1/4 mile. Our transit costs 2.25 a ride with a Metro Pass costing 98.50 amonth. But compared to running a car...
Words that confuse censors:Fecund,penal,taint, titmouse, cockatoo,coccyx, ballcock, cockeye, prickly,kumquat, titter,cunning linguist, insertion, gobble, guzzle, swallow, manhole, rimshot,ramrod,come, fallacious, lugubrious,rectify,Uranus, angina, paradiddle,spotted dick,dictum, frock,cunctation, engorge,turgid,stiff, bush, uvula, crapulence, masticate, Dick Butkus, gherkin and of course the always bewildering lickety split. As you can see, context is every thing. Chuck Lorre Addendum: 555 382 5968 "Sexarama, Hexarama, Queeriosis, Feariosis!" Alec Baldwin Im going to have to science the shit outta this. The Martian
Craig
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yeah.. but that's canadian re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re:  is your wallet beginning to bleed?