The Sh(r)ill Discussion to end all Sh(r)ill Discussions

son_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photoson_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photo
son_of_a_gunn_25
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This is the official shill/shrill bashing thread/place for asking quetions to end all threads on shills, because well I need a reminder and need a thread with all the information in one place if my fellow posters would be so kind.

What exactly is the board definition of a shill/shrill?
Can a long time poster be a shrill?
Is it acceptable to tell people on the board about productions you have a connection to if you happen to love the show?
Ok those are the first few questions...now answer those and add more. The Sh(r)ill Discussion to end all Sh(r)ill Discussions
My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...
Updated On: 4/3/04 at 01:25 PM
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I believe a shill is a person who joins the board without so much as a how-dee-do and starts spewing how great a show is and bashing anyone who dissagres with their opinion. I suspect they are either paid by the PR team or have some other huge personal intrest in a show. Clues to look for include, but are not limited to; raving about a show even before it has a preview, joining the board the same day as they post said rave, putting down anyone who questions them and a mean streak of defensiveness when someone questions thier motives.

As for long term posters, they may "shill" a show, but because there is some rapport with the other posters already, it is more of a "Hey, you guys, come see my show, or check out this one cuz it's really great". Like friends would do. Robbiej is a perfect example of this. He is proud of his work and wants his aquaintances to know about it. This, to me is perfectly acceptable.

I also believe that a person should reveal any personal connection to a show...but that's just my opinion.
PEACE.
EddieVarley Profile PhotoEddieVarley Profile Photo
EddieVarley
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'nuff said!
Are you following BroadwayWorld.com yet on Facebook & Twitter? click here.
son_of_a_gunn_25
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Where did shrill come from and how is it different from shill in your mind? (Like I said the shill discussion to end all shill discussins. re: re: re: The Shill Discussion to end all Shill Discussions)
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A SHRILL is just a very loud and obnoxious SHILL.
PEACE.
PB ENT. Profile PhotoPB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oye! This can be a real can of worms. But it's a fun topic!

Shill: (slang), Someone who works as a decoy, as in a gambling game, by posing as an innocent bystander or a customer. - Webster Dictionary.

Shill: (theater slang), a person who intentionally brags about a show, event or performer having something to gain financially from the promotion of such information. - a "possible" theater related definition.

Here's where the fun begns, define "something to gain". A shill is NOT an avid supporter who just adores a show or performer and can't stop sharing their enthusiam. While this kind of enthusiam can get annoying to some, this is just an excited supporter or fan. God Bless 'em! Broadway needs this for a following.
The term shill has been curiously adopted by the theater crowd and is often confused and abused.

A shill in NOT a friend/relative who has a friend/relative in a show and is just proud to share their success or experiences, without having any direct investment or financial gain from that show. Friends support friends and we're glad they do!

Just to clear the facts, in my instance, I came here with an open and honest agreement about my career with the webmaster. I always ask permission to post about an event that involves any of my contracted clients.IE: a fundraiser or charity that would benefit someone besides myself. We deal with this on an as need basis and the need has rarely come up. I do 99% of my business away from the theater boards out of respect for others.

Other than that, I think anyone should be free to share their opinions and passions for a show or an actor, without fear of being called a shill....or worse!

This is just my view on this. You can agree, disagree,ignore me spell check me or... whatever. Just use common sense and respect and we'd all be better people.
www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"
Updated On: 3/30/04 at 02:38 PM
mamamia sammy Profile Photomamamia sammy Profile Photo
mamamia sammy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Whatcho talkin' about Willis?
BroadwayWorld: A home for the dangerously unhinged
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It's a shame that sometimes a person who's really avid about a show and can't stop raving about it is mistaken for and called a shill. It actually happened to me once with Dance of the Vampires. (ok, stop throwing produce!)
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
orion59 Profile Photoorion59 Profile Photo
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think the issue is that some people are being paid by a production comapny to promote a show and portray themselves as just a fan. Personally, I find this unethical because the producer is using a free website to promote their show in a deceitful manner instead of paying for ad space.

I have never seen anyone get slammed on this site for being truthful in saying "I'm in this show and I want people to come see it." Basically, if you are being paid to promote a show and do not disclose that and, in fact, try to cover up that fact, you are a shill.

Sometimes, the opposite can happen. A show that opened on Broadway this past year and one that opened and won Tonys the year before, were produced by my freinds employer. As a member of this board, I was asked not to be too enthusiastic about the show if I talked about it at all. They were afraid of getting a rep for putting shills on the board.
http://www.danperezgallery.com
son_of_a_gunn_25
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think that is definitely bad to be paid to shill on a free website. It isn't an honest way to do business, and ends up hurting a show. I can honestly say I am not paid for anything, and may never be! Ahhh its liberating not to hide it anymore!
Updated On: 6/18/04 at 04:39 PM
eponine88
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Jane2, every person I know that liked Dance of the Vampires, whether a lot or a little, got called a shill. What was it about that show that turned everyone against the fans? (Just to note, I'm not refering to anyone on this board when I say people slandered my friends reputation in our little groups, it is people elsewhere that have done so)
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
eponine, you got me on that one. I never saw such vicious hatred towards a show and the people who liked it in my life. Those people were so emotionally invested in a show, and many of them NEVER EVEN SAW IT that they seemed to have gone off the deep end. They took such delight in the bad reviews and early closing, it was amazing. They're the ones who have issues, not us, who simply liked the show and dared to post about it!

And I know which board you're talking about! (:^)
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
Updated On: 3/30/04 at 05:30 PM
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Power to the shills. I think all shills ( I am a Wildhorn shill amongst other things I shill for )should have a get together in a nice Times Square restaurant . We can all get free dinners & shill for the restaurant on broadwayworld.com as payment to the restaurant for the dinners.

Shills Unite
Poster Emeritus
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
DofB5
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Err, I think I'm the one responsible for the term shrill. That came from my fingers typing shrill instead of shill. I was both chastised and corrected many times by certain people (who shall remain nameless) but my fingers continued to type shrill. Ain't that right, Al? Oppps, did I type that? re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: The Shill Discussion to end all Shill Discussio

Even when I tried to type the other word, my fingers put shrill.

As for DOTV, I still dont get the hate that show generated but its past and best forgotten.

D
son_of_a_gunn_25
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
OH MR ROXY..you're so SHILLY! re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: The Shill Discussion to end all Shill Discussio
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
squeal like a pig neddie#16
Posted: 3/30/04 at 9:22pm
oh, d, i just went back and saw that thread...what a heady time that was on the bww.com board!!
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
etoile Profile Photoetoile Profile Photo
etoile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: squeal like a pig neddie#17
Posted: 3/31/04 at 12:26am
I think a friend or relative can most certainly be considered a shill. One does not need to be the direct recipient of a hopeful monetary gain. One can post an askew comment so that a friend or loved one gains.

Also shilling shouldn't be confused with those that just have an inexplicable blind allegiance to a defunct musical.
Rest in peace, Iflitifloat.
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: squeal like a pig neddie#18
Posted: 3/31/04 at 1:57am
Oh, yes, DofB5, you are the orginal "Shrill". Be proud. Wear that badge proudly on your lapel!
PEACE.
TheaterBaby Profile PhotoTheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: squeal like a pig neddie#19
Posted: 3/31/04 at 9:42am
I'm glad this thread was started because honestly, I wasn't 100% sure of what a shill was. lol
Now, as I would see it, other than the people who get paid to rave about a show; shills are also fans...but those fans only post when it's about that show or performer with which they seem obsessed; they never post on any other Broadway related topic.
So technically there are not just "Show Shills", there are also "Performer/Actor Shills" like people obsessed with Linda Eder, Bernadette Peters, Idina Menzel, Kristin Chenoweth, etc...and ONLY post about that particular performer.
right?
"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~
javero Profile Photojavero Profile Photo
javero
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
caveat antishillor#20
Posted: 3/31/04 at 3:02pm
I came, I shilled, I went!
Bigots, business owners, corporate board members, lobbyists, and trust fund babies are voters too!
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: caveat antishillor#21
Posted: 3/31/04 at 6:05pm
I believe Julius Caesar said that or was it his brother Irving ?
Poster Emeritus
DofB5
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: caveat antishillor#22
Posted: 3/31/04 at 6:26pm
Can we make that, "I came, I shrilled, I went"?

D

BwayLover Profile PhotoBwayLover Profile Photo
BwayLover
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: caveat antishillor#23
Posted: 4/1/04 at 4:28am
I don't really agree about the "Actor/Performer shills". I think it's okay to love one performer and want to write about him/her a lot- I mean, take me for example. I read the board every day but I don't post that often; When I do post, obviously it's about something I care about. You know what I mean?

"Years from now, when you talk about this - And you will - Be kind. "
ckeaton Profile Photockeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend