Page: 1

Today's debate -- journalists seeking 15 minutes?

Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The debate among the four was notable, not for the discernable differences that stood out, but for the sustained rudeness on the part of the limelight-seeking journalists. No word escaped the lips of any of the candidates before interruptions, or bald attempts to jerk the discussion in another direction. The result was a diffusion of focus, of aborted answers piling up on one another, and journlists elbowing one another to show innovation in questioning. Elizabeth Bumiller, whom I read and appreciate in the Times, was a particularly bullying presence, stopping people before they even built a cogent response, demanding black and white decisions when today's gray world demands more thoughtful answers. There were no revelations, but anyone who already finds Dan Rather hard to take had his opinion confirmed. Rather was the clock-watcher, and made Larry King look like journalistic royalty in comparison.

The questions were at times bizarre: Asking John Edwards if his constituents know how wealthy he really is; asking Kerry if he'd attend the wedding of a gay child (they thought he'd say no?!); asking all of them if they believe God is on the side of America; and the silliest, particuarly from somone like Bumiller -- does Kerry think he's likable enough to be President. These were Questions Lite, and we learned little. Only the talk about Haiti had any freshness.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 2/29/04 at 12:22 PM
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
dammit, my brother, the king of the rednecks, called me 15 minutes into the debate and i mesed the rest, but at that point i was giglling hysterically at what a pretty much uncontrolled mess it was. specifically due to the moderator's lack of control and the combative nature of the questioners. i mean when was the last time that you had to deal with questioners voicing their indignation at what should have been a time for the candidates to shine? anybody think that after today that kerry has any and i mean any plans for edwards to be #2 on the ticket?
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You're right, Papa. Glad you agree with me about the melee, and the strongarm tactics of the narcisisstic band from the 4th estate. I think people Elizabeth B. might've even damaged their own careers. It was a free for all, and who knew that telejournalists could upstage Al Sharpton? Not a great day fo a medium that's having a bad year (bad decade?)
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
yeah, auggie, i couldn't put my finger on it, but it totally seemed like the interrogators went into this pissed off and determined to make their points regardless of what the candidates had to say. once they lose their objectivity, there's really no reason to have a 4th estate. a fact they might want to keep in mind. demonstrations like this morning's are why the media is attacked from both sides, right and left (quite often justifiably so), as being not an objective source of news, but an opinionated propaganda machine that performs either to sell a viewpoint or more advertising.

can we finally put dan rather out to pasture after this? he's freakin' clueless.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective