Page: 1

Lost in Translation

redmustang
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Lost in Translation#0
Posted: 2/17/04 at 1:12am
Am I the only person in the world who absolutely hated this movie? I'm at a loss for words as to why this film is up for so many awards including several Oscars. I thought it was tedious, boring, poorly acted, poorly written, and poorly directed. Halfway through, I decided that a director wasn't even on the set. I don't demand The Lord of the Rings in every movie I see, but I would like a little action to take place. I would like SOMETHING to happen. This was just so boring. If I hadn't been with 3 other people, I would have walked out - something I haven't done since Popeye. And they're passing this movie off as a comedy! And all the kudos being heaped on Bill Murray! I just don't get it. He was funnier in his 5 minutes as the masochistic dental patient in Little Shop of Horrors. And if he beats Sean Penn out of the Oscar, I will probably become violent!
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Lost in Translation#1
Posted: 2/17/04 at 1:34am
I found it rather sweet, but highly overrated. If there was one more shot of some lone person in a hotel room, or the streets of Tokyo from inside a cab, I was gonna scream. But the overall performances were really very subtle and well done. It would have made a brilliant short. I think the central idea of two people connecting and knowing each other better in a weekend, without ever having sex, than they know their spouses, says alot. I am just not sure they needed so much time to make their point.
PEACE.
JohnPopa Profile PhotoJohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: Lost in Translation#2
Posted: 2/17/04 at 8:35am
Loved 'Lost In Translation,' simply because it never descended into the sort of 'bonding patter' that most movie people pass off as 'character interaction.' Quiet, gentle, different. Loved the movie.

No idea why they're passing it off as a comedy -- now we have people going in expecting 'What About Bob' which seems a bit counterproductive. Granted, I can probably tell you why they're saying it's a comedy: because this is Hollywood and Bill Murray is funny thus if we don't tell people it's a comedy THEY MIGHT NOT COME IN ALREADY KNOWING WHAT THEY'RE GETTING and, as we know, in Hollywood, it's all about fulfilling people's preconceptions about what they're going to see.
Updated On: 2/17/04 at 08:35 AM
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: Lost in Translation#3
Posted: 2/17/04 at 9:12am
I also don't think it's a comedy, but I do think it's a marvelous film and deserves its place on most top 10 lists. Although the story is simple and nothing new, it was handled (directed) so perfectly so as to bring you right into the atmosphere that Coppola created. I was transformed right into Japan and stayed there throughout the film, along with the characters. That to me is the mark of a good film and good director-one who brings you out of your own reality and for a short time, takes you to another place and lets you live the story with the characters. Kudos to her for that, and to Murray and Johansson (sp) for perfect performances!
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
Updated On: 2/17/04 at 09:12 AM
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: Lost in Translation#4
Posted: 2/17/04 at 1:27pm
I thought it was a wonderful film. The performances were so natural. The direction was painstakingly precise to keep a feeling of spontaneity. It never descended into the typical Hollywood stock of overplayed emotions for effect. I could easily identify with the characters' sense of isolation and need for the familiar. I loved seeing Bill Murray in a non-SNL-ish role. It's not a stereotypical obvious comedic style, but more of a subtle sense of comedy found when people take the time to become more acutely aware of their surroundings. So far, it's my choice for Best Picture this year.

Lord of the Rings will probably win, but it was an hour and a half too long and one of the most frustrating cinematic experiences I've ever had. I wanted to scream, "JUST THROW THE FREAKIN' RING IN ALREADY, WILL YA???" And that was the best experience I had with the entire trilogy.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
A_Boy_From_Oz Profile PhotoA_Boy_From_Oz Profile Photo
A_Boy_From_Oz
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: re: re: re: re: Lost in Translation#5
Posted: 2/17/04 at 2:23pm
"Lost in Translation" absolutely bored me out of my mind. I know the story is about two people who feel lonely and bored, but did they have to make the audience feel that way too?
johny0828 Profile Photojohny0828 Profile Photo
johny0828
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
i love scarlett in any movie.
newyorkuniq Profile Photonewyorkuniq Profile Photo
newyorkuniq
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I rented this movie last night after hearing lots of good thing and still cannot believe how horrible it was. I hated it. I can't understand all of the aclaim for it. If somebody wants to expain what im missing here please PM me. I wanted to like it but just couldn't.
Wicked_Elphie Profile PhotoWicked_Elphie Profile Photo
Wicked_Elphie
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I HATE SCARLETT JOHANSON!
"Take a breath. Take a step. Take a chance. Take your time." -L5Y
Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I had a negative ititial response to LIT, but I think I might give it another chance. I wasn't prepared for the lack of tension and the inertia of the characters. I felt like Coppola was equating morose passive-agression with virtue. Coppola is an undeniable talent but--like the great but currently stuck Jane Campion--she could benefit from more story structure.
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I concede that the story leaves something to be desired. I was disappointed in the ending, or lack of, also. However, I sat fascinated throughout the entire film, and could have sat through more if it were longer. I attribute this to the heavy atmosphere Coppola created, and the sheer simplicity and honesty of the characters and their behavior. This could actually happen in real life! Nothing farfetched about it. I think I appreciate that in a film also. I could easily see Lost In Translation a second time even though I just saw it weeks ago. I like being transported to another place!
sabrelady Profile Photosabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
While I am obviously not a movie star I could still identify with the disconnect these folks felt. Not fluent in the native's tongue or familiar with the geography or behaviors no place to go or things required to do. & insomnia to boot! When I was on holiday on my own in Italy I felt much of this & so find it very true to my own experience. The fact that these two find each othe & DO connect in such a simple & uncomplicated way was a sweet tribute to the common humanity in every one. Well @ least under these unreal circumstances! I would love to know what he said to her @ the end.
Words that confuse censors:Fecund,penal,taint, titmouse, cockatoo,coccyx, ballcock, cockeye, prickly,kumquat, titter,cunning linguist, insertion, gobble, guzzle, swallow, manhole, rimshot,ramrod,come, fallacious, lugubrious,rectify,Uranus, angina, paradiddle,spotted dick,dictum, frock,cunctation, engorge,turgid,stiff, bush, uvula, crapulence, masticate, Dick Butkus, gherkin and of course the always bewildering lickety split. As you can see, context is every thing. Chuck Lorre Addendum: 555 382 5968 "Sexarama, Hexarama, Queeriosis, Feariosis!" Alec Baldwin Im going to have to science the shit outta this. The Martian
broadway86 Profile Photobroadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I thought that LiT was one of the very best films of the year. It was touching, simple, unique, and I thought that Bill Murray was amazing. He is hilarious, but also an extremely gifted dramatic actor.
http://robbyhorror.blogspot.com
ErikJ972 Profile PhotoErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The more important question is...how could you walk out on Popeye??
sabrelady Profile Photosabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
CO... Iyam what i yam and 'ats all what I yam!
Words that confuse censors:Fecund,penal,taint, titmouse, cockatoo,coccyx, ballcock, cockeye, prickly,kumquat, titter,cunning linguist, insertion, gobble, guzzle, swallow, manhole, rimshot,ramrod,come, fallacious, lugubrious,rectify,Uranus, angina, paradiddle,spotted dick,dictum, frock,cunctation, engorge,turgid,stiff, bush, uvula, crapulence, masticate, Dick Butkus, gherkin and of course the always bewildering lickety split. As you can see, context is every thing. Chuck Lorre Addendum: 555 382 5968 "Sexarama, Hexarama, Queeriosis, Feariosis!" Alec Baldwin Im going to have to science the shit outta this. The Martian
johny0828 Profile Photojohny0828 Profile Photo
johny0828
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
i hated the movie but still love scarlett. i thought it won best comedy and i kept waiting for the laughs. i was very disappionted. anyway it has no chance of beating lord of the rings for best picture.
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I just watched the independent film awards. Lost In Translation took quite a few, if I can remember it was best director, best actor, best screenplay, and best film.