Cyndi Lauper

Menken Fan Profile PhotoMenken Fan Profile Photo
Menken Fan
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Cyndi Lauper#0
Posted: 2/14/04 at 11:50pm
I love her and had to share! Saw her in concert here in Chicago last night and was blown away as always. She did a well-balanced mix of her new songs from At Last, and almost all of her old hits.

I can't wait to see her talents put into musical theater soon. Her stage presence, voice and dialogue with the audience were perfect, and her rendition of True Colors and its intro story were very moving. She is very underappreciated.

Sho-Toonz: Love Song Showtunes for Valentine's Day
Maggie Profile PhotoMaggie Profile Photo
Maggie
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Cyndi Lauper#1
Posted: 2/15/04 at 8:45am
Thanks for sharing and I agree with you completely! Everytime I see her in concert I look forward to True Colors....always gives me the chills.
JohnPopa Profile PhotoJohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: Cyndi Lauper#2
Posted: 2/15/04 at 10:05am
If she didn't play 'She Bop' I would want my money back.

Or 'Drove All Night' preferrably preambling it with 'this is a song I sing really well that Celine Dion sings badly.'
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: Cyndi Lauper#3
Posted: 2/15/04 at 11:19am
Just as I'm reading this, the Carnival cruise line commercial with her singing "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" is playing.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Menken Fan
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: re: re: re: Cyndi Lauper#4
Posted: 2/15/04 at 1:36pm
JohnPopa,

She did I Drove All Night (Celine who?) and a waltz version of She-Bop. Amazing!
JohnPopa Profile PhotoJohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: Cyndi Lauper#5
Posted: 2/15/04 at 3:02pm
A waltz version of 'She Bop?'

Why is that the coolest thing I've ever heard of?

Now I want to go see Cyndi in concert.
Menken Fan
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: re: re: re: re: re: Cyndi Lauper#6
Posted: 2/15/04 at 7:31pm
Feb 17: Cleveland, OH - Lakewood Civic Auditorium

This concert must be experienced. OK, I'm done raving. Moving on.
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Cyndi Lauper#7
Posted: 2/15/04 at 11:09pm
BIG fan here! I have everything of hers back to Blue Angel-and I Drove All Night is also my favorite ~
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
TheaterBaby Profile PhotoTheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
She'll be performing in NYC on March 11 at Town Hall. I can't make it that night re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Cyndi Lauper but I thought I would mention it for anyone that's a fan and could make it. :)
"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~
ErikJ972 Profile PhotoErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I've posted about Cyndi before...I've had the pleasure of seeing her live several times and she never ceases to amaze. Her voice and energy are incredible. Just got back from dancing to some of her old hits at 1984. Ahhh...gotta love she bop.
MasterLcZ Profile PhotoMasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cyndi Lauper#10
Posted: 2/21/04 at 5:37am
Serious question here: Why did Lauper's career do a nose-dive in the late 1980s?

I don't dislike her, but I'm not a fan either. She's OK.
She just seems to be one of those '80s stars that produced one or two hits then seemed to go pffft. Neneh Cherry is another one - one kickass album (RAW LIKE SUSHI) then ...not much. Then Tracey Chapman. Even k.d. lang can't get arrested these days unless she's singing with Tony Bennett.
"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
Updated On: 2/21/04 at 05:37 AM
Maggie Profile PhotoMaggie Profile Photo
Maggie
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: re: Cyndi Lauper#11
Posted: 2/21/04 at 7:56am
I have no idea...maybe it was the multi colored hair that people were tiring of. Who knows....it's not like she's lacking talent.
MasterLcZ Profile PhotoMasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: Cyndi Lauper#12
Posted: 2/21/04 at 10:01am
To Lauper's eternal credit, she was one of the very first stars to do fundraising concerts for AIDS at a time when it was considered very dangerous and uncool to do so.
"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
ErikJ972 Profile PhotoErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: Cyndi Lauper#13
Posted: 2/21/04 at 10:05am
And personally, I think some of her later, less popular albums, are some of her best. The Sisters of Avalon album got little publicty or airplay, but I think it's her best work. And the Shine EP is great. I also really like her new disc...although I would have preferred a disc of new material.
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: Cyndi Lauper#14
Posted: 2/21/04 at 4:03pm
I don't know why her career hit such a rock, but she's making one hell of a comeback lately. :) I love the new album so much. It's so different from her old stuff, and yet I love that too. I like how the new album shows how she's grown as a performer.
"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: re: Cyndi Lauper#15
Posted: 2/21/04 at 5:52pm
This is just a theory-she and Madonna both started careers about the same time. It seemed they may have been competitors of a sort, and Madonna won out. As far as singing goes, Cyndi's talent eclipses Madonna hundredfold. Although I do like Madonna, I always thought it was a shame Cyndi wasn't more popular. I'm glad she's still around and doing well.
javero Profile Photojavero Profile Photo
javero
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Cyndi Lauper#16
Posted: 2/21/04 at 6:13pm
Its not really fair to compare the two, but I always preferred Cyndi to Madonna. Also, I never liked Celine Dion's version of I Drove All Night. The accompanying video (by Cyndi)is considered minimalistic by today's standards, but sometimes less is indeed best. One parting shot, I don't think Cyndi's affiliation with pro wrestling helped her cause at all. Most people that I know who embrace the performing arts don't really dig pro wrestling, but I might be perpetuating sterotypes here.
#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.
newyorkuniq Profile Photonewyorkuniq Profile Photo
newyorkuniq
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I love Cyndi Lauper. I really want to catch one of her shows.
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Check her website for tour dates. She's not doing that many shows, but she is doing a few. :)

http://www.cyndilauper.com/index.php

Actully, this is an easier link to her tour schedule:

http://www.cyndilauper.com/live_tour_det.php?shname=atlast#ATLAST04

Updated On: 2/21/04 at 10:41 PM
Menken Fan
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Cyndi certainly did not just have two hits, then die out.

Girls Just Want To Have Fun
Time After Time
All Through The Night
She-Bop
Money Changes Everything
Change of Heart
True Colors

All pretty respectable hits. I think people just got a little burned out on her. She kept putting out amazing albums, showcasing her talents. I think it's time for her to amaze the masses again and get past the image of her in the 80's.
orion59 Profile Photoorion59 Profile Photo
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think her career took a nose dive because she got too gimmicky. The hair, the outfits, Lou Albano. She started to be perceived as an 80's novelty act and couldn't transition out of that decade. The gimmicks seem to have over shadowed her talent and she failed to remake her image in time. She should have reinvented herself before the rets of the 80's acts like Madonna did. It seems to all have been in the timing. Had she moved quicker, she would have set the new trends and could have made clear the fact that she is a talented and serious artist.
http://www.danperezgallery.com
joeyjoe Profile Photojoeyjoe Profile Photo
joeyjoe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
it's unfortunate that many people only know here from those two albums when she put out three more in the ensuing years which were also very very good... doesn anyone know Hat Full of Stars??? Sally's Pigeons???

she is amazing...
orion59 Profile Photoorion59 Profile Photo
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I have Hat Full of Stars....it's a great cd
http://www.danperezgallery.com
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
My favorite is Twelve Deadly Cyns- except for Sally's Pigeons-I forward through that one, sorry~
joeyjoe Profile Photojoeyjoe Profile Photo
joeyjoe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
no biggie... we all have our tastes... it's what makes the world interesting!