Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Page: 1

Putting It Together: How Stephen Sondheim and I Created "Sunday in the Park with George"

qolbinau Profile Photoqolbinau Profile Photo
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Have we discussed this? Looks like James Lapine is releasing a new book:

https://www.amazon.com/Putting-Together-Stephen-Sondheim-Created-ebook/dp/B088DQKMD4

"Rose in Gypsy was like going through therapy for me. Playing Rose helped me put a lot of emotions to bed. There was so much lacking in Rose and that's why she had to prove herself through her children. [interviewer]In ways that reminded you of your mom?[/interviewer]. Let's just say the role was very interesting for me. That one was the most interesting [I've ever played]" - Bernadette Peters (2018)
BJR Profile PhotoBJR Profile Photo
BJR
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

I believe it's an oral history, like the Angels in America. He was interviewing people associated with the original production. But I suppose an oral history written by one of the creators would just be a memoir.

StylishCynic
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I've already pre-ordered the hardcover book.

The wait for April 2021 is going to feel like forever!

dramamama611 Profile Photodramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There was an article here yesterday or the day before

Thanks for the link, though!
If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
qolbinau Profile Photoqolbinau Profile Photo
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I’m quite sure in typical broadwayworld fashion they posted the article after I posted this hehe.
"Rose in Gypsy was like going through therapy for me. Playing Rose helped me put a lot of emotions to bed. There was so much lacking in Rose and that's why she had to prove herself through her children. [interviewer]In ways that reminded you of your mom?[/interviewer]. Let's just say the role was very interesting for me. That one was the most interesting [I've ever played]" - Bernadette Peters (2018)
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The most deserving musical winner of the Pulitzer!

kdogg36 Profile Photokdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

devonian.t said: "The most deserving musical winner of the Pulitzer!"

From the standpoint of the quality of the work, absolutely! I would say, though, that it has a rather weak connection to “American life” - a stated preference for the award - compared to  How To Succeed, Rent, Hamilton, and most of the others. But that is indeed a preference, not a requirement.