Page: 1

Where to go in NYC to stay WARM!

JoizeyActor Profile PhotoJoizeyActor Profile Photo
JoizeyActor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Where to go in NYC to stay WARM!#0
Posted: 1/15/04 at 5:20pm
Well, I'm heading into the city on Monday with my mom to see Max von Essen, and right now the Weather Channel is predicting 20 degrees for Central Jersey, so it will most likely be even colder in the city.

So while we are walking around in the cold, I would like to know some of the better places to go to in order to sit down to nice hot cup of coffee or hot chocolate or something. Does anyone know of any *especially* good coffee houses or cafe's?

Something small and comfortable would be nice. I don't want to sit at Starbucks or something!
JoizeyActor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Where to go in NYC to stay WARM!#1
Posted: 1/15/04 at 5:20pm
Crap, forgot to put this on the Off-Topic Board. Maybe someone will move it!
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I know it sounds really stupid, but my parents and I always go to the Virgin Megastore, sip cappucino and eat black-and-white cookies. Then I peruse the cast recordings...
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
JoizeyActor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That's not bad idea. I've stopped by the cafe in the bottom floor of the store and it wasn't overly crowded or anything. Plus I *always* stop at the Virgin Megastore and buy a CD.

Speaking of which, I wonder what CD I should get...

Thanks for the suggestion, Mister Matt.
Updated On: 1/15/04 at 08:14 PM
TheaterBaby Profile PhotoTheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Starbucks is a favorite of mine, and there are many of them around, but if you want somethig really good go to Cosi. They have great Smores, and the fire on the table will keep you warm. re: re: re: re: re: Where to go in NYC to stay WARM! There is one in Union Square and one near the Gershwin Theatre. Not sure about other locations.
"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~
BwayTheatre11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Everyone always talks about visiting the city and I could never relate to them, but now I can!! YAY APRIL!! The bad thing...school rules...one show...PLUS we are going back to the hotel on Saturday early for a swim party. Why can't we see another show?!
CCM '10!
rlbgbc Profile Photorlbgbc Profile Photo
rlbgbc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I was just faced with that same dillema last weekend. We had dinner ressies at Angus McIndoe's for 5:45pm. We showed up at 4:45pm and sat at the bar for an hour. They were very understanding. GOOD GOD, it was cold! I'd forgotten what it was like!
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
if you're in times square and want to warm up, i love the lobby/bar of the marriott marquis. you go in and take one of the clear elevators up to the 8th or 9th floor (it's marked) and chill out in a nice atmosphere with drinks and or food. although according to other posts in a different thread, i hear that you might wanna watch out for suicides leaping from the floors above. other than that, though, it's cush.

if you're in the union sqaure area, i recommend java 'n jazz (www.java-n-jazz.com) on broadway between 17th and 18th. they have good hot sandwiches, tasty pastries and an assortment of coffee drinks. there's always jazz playign and the walls are a melange of performance pictures of musicians and original artwork by local artists. i suggest the couches in the back.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Updated On: 1/16/04 at 10:50 AM
zannafan Profile Photozannafan Profile Photo
zannafan
Understudy
Understudy
YOU MUST open a cafe called Tasty Pastries. It would be the best name:)
Nick
A ripple on the edge can be a tidal wave; no matter what the size. Anything can be, depending how you see when you're looking at the world with brand new eyes. ---Prodigal
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Or call it Tastries !
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
BroadwayDiva Profile PhotoBroadwayDiva Profile Photo
BroadwayDiva
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Virgin Mega Store is good, but the prices are EXTREMELY high...

I always go the big Barnes and Noble in Union Square. It's got a VERY good music selection, plus it has a Starbucks!
I have my books and my poetry to protect me...
JoizeyActor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Someone has mentioned Cosi's to me before. It sounds interesting. I might look into it. I LOVE SMORES!

And the fire on the table? What?
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
lol the fire on the table is small and contained. re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: where to go in nyc to stay warm! You light it yourself, and it's used to cook the marshmellows for your smores. re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: where to go in nyc to stay warm!
"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~
JoizeyActor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
OMG! I go camping all the time and love smores. I'm definitely going there. Where is it at again?
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: where to go in nyc to stay warm!#15
Posted: 1/16/04 at 6:51pm
ummm lol read my first post where I mentioned the locations that I know of  re: where to go in nyc to stay warm!