Page: 4

Theater Gunshots

scarlet721
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Theater Gunshots#76
Posted: 8/11/19 at 9:28pm

RumTumJM said: "Forgive my persistence, but...

Now that Bat Out Of Hell as started, can anyone confirm the situation in that?

The same 3 gunshot “moments” from past productions? Are they still believed to be recorded sound effects & not actual blanks fired?

Thanks
"

I have no clue what 3 gunshot moments there were in the past productions, but can say that there are a couple in Act 2 and they are pretty obvious when they are coming.

What bothered me more was some unexpected actions/confetti cannons during the birthday part scene and during the Act 1 finale.

Also, for those sensitive to lights, this set has strip lights on the sides of the stage that bothered me quite a bit. 

VotePeron Profile PhotoVotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Theater Gunshots#77
Posted: 8/11/19 at 9:45pm

MichelleCraig said: "Are we really at a place now where we need to know about these things in advance of seeing a performance?I hope not."

My understanding of this thread is it’s a resource for those who have sensitivity to sound, and have reactions when hearing jarring loud sounds, such as gunshots.

Joanie2
Swing
Swing
Theater Gunshots#78
Posted: 8/12/19 at 10:24am

For me personally, this thread has nothing to do with the gun violence that unfortunately has become commonplace in our country.  I hope that the thread allows myself, and others with the same problem, to enjoy theater that features sharp, loud, jarring sounds that physically prevent us from appreciating a show. It does not necessarily have to be a gunshot that disturbs me but could be a whistle like that featured in the original Sweeney Todd. For anyone who does not want the content of a show to be revealed, I would recommend not opening this thread. I am grateful to those of you who contribute information and make theatergoing a more enjoyable experience for me. Before this thread, I had to read the script of the play, speak to an usher, find a friend who saw the show, read the musical libretto, or not see the show. Thank you very much for your help.

ElleMusical2
Swing
Swing
Theater Gunshots#79
Posted: 9/11/19 at 11:38pm
Any loud gunshots, cannons in Hamilton? I've read 2 different opinions where one said they are loud and the other said they are not loud and are recordings. I am seeing it this weekend.
DoTheDood Profile PhotoDoTheDood Profile Photo
DoTheDood
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Theater Gunshots#80
Posted: 9/12/19 at 12:06am

ElleMusical2 said: "Any loud gunshots, cannons in Hamilton? I've read 2 different opinions where one said they are loud and the other said they are not loud and are recordings. I am seeing it this weekend."

I don't remember them being loud when I saw it a few months back, but they are definitely from a recording. No blanks are shot on stage (if that is what you are implying with the loud ones not being from a recording)

Mike Barrett  Profile PhotoMike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Theater Gunshots#81
Posted: 9/12/19 at 7:49am
Without spoiling plot, any shots in Slave Play?
elephantseye
Stand-by
Stand-by
Theater Gunshots#82
Posted: 9/12/19 at 9:13am

Mike Barrett said: "Without spoiling plot, any shots in Slave Play? "

Nope! The occasional (somewhat) loud sound effect/music but nothing that stands out.

Babe_Williams Profile PhotoBabe_Williams Profile Photo
Babe_Williams
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Theater Gunshots#83
Posted: 9/12/19 at 12:26pm

Just wanted to say that I appreciate this thread. my oldest is very jumpy (was alarmed by the firecrackers/chandelier in Phantom,for example), so I am glad this is an ongoing thread.

Mike Barrett  Profile PhotoMike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Theater Gunshots#84
Posted: 9/12/19 at 12:31pm

Ya, Im super thankful for this thread too. I have pretty severe PTSD with gunshots, and if I know about it beforehand I can prepare myself a bit, but when its unexpected it certainly triggers me a bit, although over the years I've been able to manage it better. But yes, whoever started this thread is genius! Simple idea for a thread but it really makes an impact for id assume a good chunk of people. 

Cosette6
Swing
Swing
Theater Gunshots#85
Posted: 9/14/19 at 6:01pm
I would like to know about the gunshot in Book of Mormon too. I want to see it, and am waiting to get tickets. Loud noises also affect me. I am addicted to musicals and I hate to miss them because of such bad anxiety. I have the same problem in movies and TV too. It can be debilitating.

Page: 4