Choir Boy Reviews

haterobics Profile Photohaterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
Broadway Legend
joined:3/29/14
Broadway Legend
joined:
3/29/14
Choir Boy Reviews #51
Posted: 1/10/19 at 10:07am

Miles2Go2 said: "Thanks. Im fairly certain Im seeing Choir Boy now. I do feel compelled to see Network still despite criticisms of it."

I had a great time at Network.

Miles2Go2 Profile PhotoMiles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
Broadway Legend
joined:8/10/17
Broadway Legend
joined:
8/10/17
Choir Boy Reviews #52
Posted: 1/10/19 at 11:43am

haterobics said: "Miles2Go2 said: "Thanks. Im fairly certain Im seeing Choir Boy now. I do feel compelled to see Network still despite criticisms of it."

I had a great time at Network.
"

Great to hear. I just called Audience Rewards and redeemed 7,000 points plus $84 to get a ticket for Network’s February 13th evening performance. Nothing available center orchestra so I ended up with Right Orchestra L18. Looks like it’s middle of the row. Not sure if I’ll miss the couch and people eating (meh) and the big screen, but I’m excited.  

I think I’m going to go ahead and buy my ticket for Fiddler’s opening night on Feb. 11th as I’m guessing there will not be a discount code. (If anyone knows different, please let me know!)

I plan on using TKTS for Choir Boy The Ferryman unless folks are aware of even better discounts for front Orchestra seats. Depending on whether I stay through Saturday, I will probably use lottery/TKTS for TBV, The Cher Show and/or DEH (I should have room for two of them). That only leaves Kiss Me, Kate. I have decided I want to see the first preview (2/14). Not sure if I should bite the bullet and pre-purchase or hope it’ll be on TKTS that day. If it’s not, I could rearrange my Friday and (possibly) Saturday shows to see it on one of those days instead.

Updated On: 1/10/19 at 11:43 AM
haterobics Profile Photohaterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
Broadway Legend
joined:3/29/14
Broadway Legend
joined:
3/29/14
Choir Boy Reviews #53
Posted: 1/10/19 at 11:53am

Miles2Go2 said: "Not sure if I’ll miss the couch and people eating (meh) and the big screen, but I’m exited."

As much as people take issue with some of the views, it is nearly impossible to miss anything in this production, unless you refuse to look at the monitors.

Miles2Go2 Profile PhotoMiles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
Broadway Legend
joined:8/10/17
Broadway Legend
joined:
8/10/17
Choir Boy Reviews #54
Posted: 1/10/19 at 11:57am

haterobics said: "Miles2Go2 said: "Not sure if I’ll miss the couch and people eating (meh) and the big screen, but I’m exited."

As much as people take issue with some of the views, it is nearly impossible to miss anything in this production, unless you refuse to look at the monitors.
"

I’ll def look at the monitors. I’m excited to finally see Cranston on stage. 

Scott19
Chorus Member
joined:11/16/09
Chorus Member
joined:
11/16/09
Choir Boy Reviews #55
Posted: 1/10/19 at 12:12pm

Try the daily lottery on TodayTix for Choir Boy. A number of us were successful to secure the $30 tickets over a couple of days and the seats were terrific.

 

uncageg Profile Photouncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
Broadway Legend
joined:5/13/04
Broadway Legend
joined:
5/13/04
Choir Boy Reviews #56
Posted: 1/10/19 at 12:17pm

 plan on using TKTS for Choir Boy &The Ferryman unless folks are aware of even better discounts for front Orchestra seats. Depending on whether I stay through Saturday, I will probably use lottery/TKTS for TBV, The Cher Show and/or DEH (I should have room for two of them). That only leaves Kiss Me, Kate. I have decided I want to see the first preview (2/14). Not sure if I should bite the bullet and pre-purchase or hope it’ll be on TKTS that day. If it’s not, I could rearrange my Friday and (possibly) Saturday shows tosee it on oneof those days instead."

 

Why not just get a discount ticket on Theatermania for Choir Boy? They have them now. The theater is very small so even upstairs you won't miss anything.

 

Just give the world Love.
Miles2Go2 Profile PhotoMiles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
Broadway Legend
joined:8/10/17
Broadway Legend
joined:
8/10/17
Choir Boy Reviews #57
Posted: 1/10/19 at 12:24pm

Scott19 said: "Try the daily lottery on TodayTix for Choir Boy. A number of us were successful to secure the $30 tickets over a couple of days and the seats were terrific.

Thanks for this. I tried for last Friday’s performance, but I was a little slow and missed out. It’s just as well. My friend really wanted to see Kinky Boots as her first Broadway show and she loved it so much that she wants to come back for the final performance in April. 

rebeccmam31
Featured Actor
joined:10/21/15
Featured Actor
joined:
10/21/15
Choir Boy Reviews #58
Posted: 1/10/19 at 12:25pm
This is definitely worth a go. I got a $30 ticket for tonight. (Not so much with luck for The Jungle....)
Robbie2 Profile PhotoRobbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
Broadway Legend
joined:3/2/10
Broadway Legend
joined:
3/2/10
Choir Boy Reviews #59
Posted: 1/12/19 at 6:19pm

Scott19 said: "@miles2go2 - First off, thanks for all of your contributions to this board. I really enjoy reading what you have to say about the productions that you see.

Just chiming on what a few people have already said, I'd suggest seeing Choir Boy and passing on Network. I was a huge fan of Van Hove's View From The Bridge, but found his take on Network to be a bit of a slog. Too much surface. Cranston is fine (I'm a fan) but i felt let down by the rest of the production. In particular, the rest of the cast isn't up to the challenge (there are some really weak performances).

Choir Boy really stayed with me after seeing it. I think it is a very powerful play and I think Jeremy Pope is giving an absolutely incredible performance.

I can only go by some of the plays that you have mentioned in your other posts. Judging from those, I think you would love Choir Boy. I'd suggest moving it to your list.

Just my two-cents. Have a terrific trip and enjoy.
"

 

This play is terrific along with locker room nudity. Don't miss it! Jeremy Pope is a STAR in the making and once Ain't Too Proud opens...Hollywood will grab him! He should be nominated for a TONY! 

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 1/12/19 at 06:19 PM
schubox
Broadway Star
joined:5/16/16
Broadway Star
joined:
5/16/16
Choir Boy Reviews #60
Posted: 1/13/19 at 9:16pm
Saw this tonight, got tickets from the Today Tix rush. Seats were pretty good, Mez Row B seat 6.

Show was good, agree with the reviews that say its at its best when theyre singing. The songs and accompanying choreography was fantastic. Strong performances all around to. Dont think its breaking any new ground but it was enjoyable
Miles2Go2 Profile PhotoMiles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
Broadway Legend
joined:8/10/17
Broadway Legend
joined:
8/10/17
Choir Boy Reviews #61
Posted: 1/13/19 at 9:21pm

schubox said: "Saw this tonight, got tickets from the Today Tix rush. Seats were pretty good, Mez Row B seat 6.

Show was good, agree with the reviews that say its at its best when theyre singing. The songs and accompanying choreography was fantastic. Strong performances all around to. Dont think its breaking any new ground but it was enjoyable
"

Since you saw Merrily We Roll Along last night, if one had only one spot remaining for an upcoming trip, which one would you recommend? 

schubox
Broadway Star
joined:5/16/16
Broadway Star
joined:
5/16/16
Choir Boy Reviews #62
Posted: 1/13/19 at 9:25pm

Miles2Go2 said: "schubox said: "Saw this tonight, got tickets from the Today Tix rush. Seats were pretty good, Mez Row B seat 6.

Show was good, agree with the reviews that say its at its best when theyre singing. The songs and accompanying choreography was fantastic. Strong performances all around to. Dont think its breaking any new ground but it was enjoyable
"

Since you saw Merrily We Roll Along last night, if one had only one spot remaining for an upcoming trip, which one would you recommend?
"

Hmm, that’s tough. We seem to have different views on things since you loved Waverly Gallery and I wasn’t as in love with it. I’d probably say Merrily, but you’d probably have an easier/cheaper time getting into Choir Boy. 

I will say, after backreading, I agree that Network needs to be seen. I didn’t love the show itself, but Cranston’s performance is not to be missed.

Miles2Go2 Profile PhotoMiles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
Broadway Legend
joined:8/10/17
Broadway Legend
joined:
8/10/17
Choir Boy Reviews #63
Posted: 1/13/19 at 9:39pm
Interesting. What are the last three shows you loved (or your three favorite shows)? Did you love Merrily more than My Fair Lady or Once on This Island? I didnt enjoy either of those as much I expected, but until then Ive enjoyed all the revivals Ive seen. I mainly want to see Choir Boy because it offers us a voice of a young gay black man. With Merrily, I mainly want to get more Sondheim stage productions under my belt. I will say the Merrily cast recordings havent grabbed me yet, but cast recordings often dont grab me before I see a show although I love the latest Sunday in the Park recording despite never seeing the show still.
schubox
Broadway Star
joined:5/16/16
Broadway Star
joined:
5/16/16
Choir Boy Reviews #64
Posted: 1/13/19 at 9:48pm

Miles2Go2 said: "Interesting. What are the last three shows you loved (or your three favorite shows)? Did you love Merrily more than My Fair Lady or Once on This Island? I didnt enjoy either of those as much I expected, but until then Ive enjoyed all the revivals Ive seen. I mainly want to see Choir Boy because it offers us a voice of a young gay black man. With Merrily, I mainly want to get more Sondheim stage productions under my belt. I will say the Merrily cast recordings havent grabbed me yet, but cast recordings often dont grab me before I see a show although I love the latest Sunday in the Park recording despite never seeing the show still. "

I very much enjoyed MFL, saw it once with Ambrose and Benanti. I loved The Ferryman. I saw Lifespan, Network, Mockingbird, and True West last weekend, and if those would probably put Mockingbird at the top, with cranston being the best performance.

This past week since I’ve been alone on my work trip I’ve seen The Ferryman, Harry Potter, Waverly, Kinky Boots, Merrily and CB. Of those I’d put Ferryman, Kinky Boots and HP at the top.

as for all time favorites I’d probably put Les Mis, Falsettos, maybe N2N or Hamilton too. It’s hard for me to throw Sondheim in there, but I’m with you in that I want to see more of his works on stage, it’s part of the reason I got the Merrily ticket. I did think CB was quite good, but I’m a straight white man, so it may not have had as strong as an effect on me as it may some others but I did find it powerful. And, as I said, the singing was fantastic 

dramamama611 Profile Photodramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
joined:12/4/07
Broadway Legend
joined:
12/4/07
Choir Boy Reviews #65
Posted: 1/14/19 at 9:07am

Saw this Saturday Night and both my teenage son and I LOVED it.  Had some problems hearing a bit of dialogue (we were in the second row of the mezz, but overall - stellar.   It was our favorite show, by far of the weekend.  (Which also included The Prom and Lifespan of a Fact.)   What beautiful performances.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
schubox
Broadway Star
joined:5/16/16
Broadway Star
joined:
5/16/16
Choir Boy Reviews #66
Posted: 1/14/19 at 11:01am

dramamama611 said: "Saw this Saturday Night and both my teenage son and I LOVED it. Had some problems hearing a bit of dialogue (we were in the second row of the mezz, but overall - stellar. It was our favorite show, by far of the weekend. (Which also included The Prom and Lifespan of a Fact.) What beautiful performances."

It was very well acted. And the musical interludes were really the highlights. They were thrilling and moving 

AntV
Broadway Star
joined:12/23/12
Broadway Star
joined:
12/23/12
Choir Boy Reviews #67
Posted: 1/16/19 at 6:49pm
Saw the matinee today and Jeremy Pope was out, as well as the actor who plays his bully. The understudy for Pope was quite good, but after reading comments here about Pope's performance being groundbreaking, one of the very best they've seen, etc., I wasn't getting that from the understudy. I guess I missed out a little bit?
Robbie2 Profile PhotoRobbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
Broadway Legend
joined:3/2/10
Broadway Legend
joined:
3/2/10
Choir Boy Reviews #68
Posted: 1/16/19 at 10:09pm

AntV said: "Saw the matinee today and Jeremy Pope was out, as well as the actor who plays his bully. The understudy for Pope was quite good, but after reading comments here about Pope's performance being groundbreaking, one of the very best they've seen, etc., I wasn't getting that from the understudy. I guess I missed out a little bit?"

 

Choir Boy Reviews That's a bummer...you really need to see Jeremy Pope wink on stage ...it's all about his star making turn!!! Who were the actors you saw in their place?

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
AntV
Broadway Star
joined:12/23/12
Broadway Star
joined:
12/23/12
Choir Boy Reviews #69
Posted: 1/16/19 at 10:54pm
Jonathan Burke and Gerald Caesar. It also meant two less actors in the ensemble.
C4b2a3b
Understudy
joined:8/13/08
Understudy
joined:
8/13/08
Choir Boy Reviews #70
Posted: 1/20/19 at 12:42pm

Does anybody here know whether Jeremy Pope has been back since that 1/16 matinee? Seeing this next week and hoping to catch him. 

TheQuibbler Profile PhotoTheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
Broadway Legend
joined:9/11/03
Broadway Legend
joined:
9/11/03
Choir Boy Reviews #71
Posted: 1/20/19 at 4:35pm

C4b2a3b said: "Does anybody here know whether Jeremy Pope has been back since that 1/16 matinee? Seeing this next week and hoping to catch him."

He was in last night. 

LuPita2 Profile PhotoLuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
Stand-by
joined:9/11/18
Stand-by
joined:
9/11/18
Choir Boy Reviews #72
Posted: 1/20/19 at 5:01pm

Saw it last Thursday, he was in fine form.  

AntV
Broadway Star
joined:12/23/12
Broadway Star
joined:
12/23/12
Choir Boy Reviews #73
Posted: 1/20/19 at 6:02pm
He was only out 1/15 and both shows 1/16. I wonder if he'll miss any shows later next month with Ain't too proud starting just a few days after this show ends.
Miles2Go2 Profile PhotoMiles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
Broadway Legend
joined:8/10/17
Broadway Legend
joined:
8/10/17
Choir Boy Reviews #74
Posted: 1/20/19 at 6:10pm
Based on what Ive heard on here, Im wondering if he is out for both performances on February 16th if I would be better off skipping it and seeing something else. Thats the only day of my trip that I havent already bought tix for.
uncageg Profile Photouncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
Broadway Legend
joined:5/13/04
Broadway Legend
joined:
5/13/04
Choir Boy Reviews #75
Posted: 1/20/19 at 7:28pm
Would love to see Burke in the role.
Just give the world Love.