Young Judy or Old Judy?

best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#26
Posted: 2/18/08 at 9:30pm
"Old Judy" is no joke, PJ.

And anyone who "jokes" about her later performances is an insensitive idiot.

There's nothing to laugh at. But as a kid, I found her disturbing. I didn't like her work. I couldn't relate to that "struggling" woman at all.

Such a different story now.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#27
Posted: 2/18/08 at 9:30pm
Pippin--here is "Where Is the Clown" but your interpretation is wrong. You're doing that "Pathetic Judy" thing AGAIN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlPgnszSq9M
Updated On: 2/19/08 at 09:30 PM
mmousefan Profile Photommousefan Profile Photo
mmousefan
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#28
Posted: 2/18/08 at 9:34pm
It's so fun to watch EASTER PARADE now and picture Kelly in it, like it was written for him (which I guess it was). I want to get those clips of Judy doing scenes and numbers from ANNIE GET YOUR GUN on DVD so I can keep it.

She's not a joke, but the various impersonations of her over the years (mainly drag ones) have increased the likelihood that she could be seen as a kind of punch line. It's like her caricatures have somehow overtaken her persona in that regard.
just keep swimming along, don't rise to the....
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#29
Posted: 2/18/08 at 9:35pm
"Where Is the Clown" was intended to be the series finale, followed by this special arrangement of "Here's to Us" from Little Me.

They were both taped but not used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J3spaSdgjs

You're obviously mixing them up with the outtakes on the DVD of the frustrating efforts she made until 4 in the morning to do ALL of the "Born in the Trunk" medley from A Star Is Born, which was never intended to be done in one take.

Those clips are sad--"Where is the Clown" and "Here's to Us" are pretty terrific.
Updated On: 2/19/08 at 09:35 PM
nitsua Profile Photonitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#30
Posted: 2/18/08 at 9:35pm
My favorite Judy is the Dolly Judy.

re: Young Judy or Old Judy?
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#31
Posted: 2/18/08 at 9:45pm
I know plenty of drag Judy's who are not a joke.

Don't blame them.
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#32
Posted: 2/18/08 at 9:47pm
Diva.. she is not cranky. She is beyond rich and extremely nice. NOW IF YOU WOULD HAVE GOTTEN US IN BACKSTAGE TO SAY HITO LORNA AT THE BOWL INSTEAD OF NOT ANSWERING YOUR CELL. you would have known that yourself.
HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Updated On: 2/18/08 at 09:47 PM
mmousefan
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#33
Posted: 2/18/08 at 9:48pm
not assigning blame, just observing that even toward the end Judy herself made fun (or light) of her reputation, and a lot of drag versions do as well. That's slightly different from "being a joke"...
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#34
Posted: 2/18/08 at 9:59pm
Dame,

I called you back, you didn't pick up.

When I'm backstage, I'm working.

You never told me she was with you...
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
Pippin Profile PhotoPippin Profile Photo
Pippin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#35
Posted: 2/18/08 at 10:21pm
guys, PJ is upset with me because he thinks I am mocking Judy. I have no intent to Mock Judy, nor would I ever have. I think she is just brilliant, and I think PJ is taking my words the wrong way.

Pal Joey- to make amends- this is for you and Miss Holly re: Young Judy or Old Judy?
don't hate me, PJ!!!
"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#36
Posted: 2/18/08 at 10:23pm
Miss Holly was so upset by this thread she took a pawful of Valium and Ritalin and washed them down with some Blue Nun.

She's out for the night.
Yawper
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#37
Posted: 2/18/08 at 10:37pm
Personally I feel a lot of MGM's singers lost vocal discipline when they left the studio. Some MGM vocals are the purest around.
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#38
Posted: 2/18/08 at 10:38pm
Was that due to Kay?
n69n Profile Photon69n Profile Photo
n69n
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#39
Posted: 2/18/08 at 10:39pm
when i was young, i was scared of Old Judy. i couldnt believe they were the same person.
it wasnt til i got old myself that i began t think "hey wait a minute..."

i know many people hate the JUDY SPEAKS* recordings, but hearing those is what intrigued me to dig into Old Judy, & realize what an endless treasure there is there! now Old Judy is MY FAVORITE & i wouldnt trade her for a million Youngs!

my favorite is OL' MAN RIVER.

* i was never laughing *AT* the Judy Speaks, i was right along with her for the ride & it just made me love her & want to protect her even more!!
i want to make thngs that count
- George, SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE
Yawper
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#40
Posted: 2/18/08 at 10:46pm
Kay, Roger Edens, Arthur Freed, the entire music department - a high standard was inherent, consciously pursued or not

but doing concerts where the star gets to call the shots, isn't necessarily in a high performance standard environment, and has no immediate competition...
mmousefan
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#41
Posted: 2/18/08 at 10:46pm
that is a really interesting point about the studio system and its effect on vocals. I'd bet (I guess Liza knows) it was Kay Thompson's influence.
n69n
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#42
Posted: 2/18/08 at 11:04pm
i miss hearing Judge Judy & Eartha kitt when i get in a taxi

"dont be stupid!!!"

"cats have nine lives but you have only one, ROWWWRRR!!!!"
DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#43
Posted: 2/18/08 at 11:14pm
She was not with me. She was just there. But why does it make a difference?
HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
n69n
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#44
Posted: 2/18/08 at 11:20pm
if Judy had recorded one of those taxi messages, what would she have said?
mateo Profile Photomateo Profile Photo
mateo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#45
Posted: 2/18/08 at 11:21pm
"Clang, Clang, CLang, went the Taxi" ?
"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"
roquat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#46
Posted: 2/18/08 at 11:25pm
I think her peak was MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS--it's the best performance of her youth, she's never looked or sounded more beautiful, and she was genuinely in love with Minnelli and ready to start over. After that time, she started going downhill.

I love "Old Judy" while being slightly distressed by her--the only concert recording of hers that scared me beyond belief was "Judy and Liza at the Palladium." She goes onto some very odd tangents in that one, and you're not always sure she'll come back--making left-field comments about equipment ("What a peCULiar microphone!"), shoving Liza's mike further up into her face (almost hitting her in the nose at one point) and, finally, bullying the audience into singing "Over the Rainbow" instead of her ("Come ON! YOU KNOW IT!") Even then, I'm awed by the sheer life force pushing her along, past all her notorious "problems."
I ask in all honesty/What would life be?/Without a song and a dance, what are we?/So I say "Thank you for the music/For giving it to me."
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#47
Posted: 2/18/08 at 11:47pm
Downhill at age 22?

Downhill?

Right--because all she had ahead of her after Meet Me in St. Louis was The Clock, The Harvey Girls, Easter Parade, The Pirate, Summer Stock, A Star Is Born, The Palace, Carnegie Hall, endless radio appearances, pioneering television appearances, Judgment at Nuremberg, A Child Is Waiting, I Could Go On Singing and hundreds of sold-out concerts at which she was not drugged or drunk, just thrilling.

Downhill after 1944?

I swear, the Poor Pathetic Judy Crowd dates her demise earlier and earlier. Next they're going to be pointing to the Baby Gumm pictures and saying, "See? She was such a mess after she sang Jingle Bells."
Updated On: 2/18/08 at 11:47 PM
Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#48
Posted: 2/19/08 at 12:09am
Unfortunately, there was never an Old Judy. She died at 47.
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
Anastasia_Beaverhausen Profile PhotoAnastasia_Beaverhausen Profile Photo
Anastasia_Beaverhausen
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#49
Posted: 2/19/08 at 12:21am
Any Judy is brilliant, just brilliant.
sondheimboy2 Profile Photosondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#50
Posted: 2/19/08 at 12:54am
It's funny. I've "known" Judy Garland all of my life, literally. Growing up, my sister was a huge MGM musicals fan and I saw them ALL. And we treated the yearly showing of "Wizard of Oz" more seriously than we treated Christmas. I truly knew who Judy Garland was before I knew who the President of the United States was.

And, as a singer, I know that, if you're looking for the definitive version of a song, try to find if Judy Garland sang it.

But, recently I've started playing a CD of "Miss Entertainment" & "Judy" that I got on Ebay about a year ago and never bothered playing. Well, I pulled it out a week or so ago and put it on and it's been living in my CD player ever since.

She is at the peak of her powers and I am in awe. She really did have one of the best singing voices that God ever gave anyone!

And even when her voice was more or less gone, she had an artistry that was incredible. I just found this clip on "that site"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpyoZXWcZfE
"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba