Page: 2

"I don't front, yo! Why YOU frontin'?"

shira467 Profile Photoshira467 Profile Photo
shira467
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I guess I take it very seriously....I should develop more of a sense of relaxation, that not everything is so serious. But I can't help it. It drives me nuts.

I just realized I sound so conservative, almost Republican. Oy. If I turn into Bush, make it a burning bush.
Deet: Shira, I Love You!
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Daisy - you would know what the reality of the situation is, and I respect that. If he's mocking it, instead of being allowed to have it as a style choice, then so be it. I still stand by my thoughts concerning society ambracing this ridiculous sub-culture.
Marquise Profile PhotoMarquise Profile Photo
Marquise
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i'm from the south bronx, and yes i do wear my jeans a little baggy and i sometimes wear my cap to the back, and yes i do own more than one pair of timberland boots and yes, i listen to r&b and hip-hop but that doesn't mean that just because I do that I'm a criminal or a drug dealer or a bad influence on society and what's this crap about SUB culture?

it's a style just like wearing khaki pants, loafers, an izod polo and a cute little sweater tied around your shoulders is...

by the way the pic is cute daisy

Updated On: 9/7/04 at 02:34 AM
shira467
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
My goodness, I would hate to say that ALL people who dress the way you choose to, Marquise, is a criminal. But I don't think the child who dresses in such a manner is emulating you, who is an upright citizen and hard working young man? They are emulating rappers like...wow, I don't even know the name. What's the guy in G-Unit? I forget. Or some rapper who is famous for having X amount of gunshot wounds....The child who is emulating the music video where there are 100 scantily clad women who are always sexually charged. The music video objectifies women as mere sex objects. I have a serious problem with that, being a woman.

Oy, I don't know what else to say. I think he's an adorable kid, and I hope he understands to not take the music videos so literally. I'm sure he will grow up wonderfully, and I never really had to worry about it at all. But it sounds like he has a sister who will teach him values, yes?

I worry more about the children who don't have parents and siblings to point out that the rap music video is not reality.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
marquise - I know that people who emulate this style don't necessarily participate in the kinds of activity of the people who originated it. It's the same thing as the popularity at one point in our history of the mobster culture of the 30's. I just have a problem with the 'homage' being paid to a PART of the culture (is that better?) that involves murder, drug-dealing and a general disregard for the rest of society.

And you're right - it may boil down to just a 'style' choice. But the style is derived from a particular group of people - and the 'other' group you mentioned, the ones with the 'preppy' attire, are not known for their completely anti-social (and many times illegal and deadly) behavior.
ShineOn Profile PhotoShineOn Profile Photo
ShineOn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Um.... he's not allowed to watch music videos. In fact their idea of a fun family evening is sitting around the T.V. watching Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, followed by an action packed adventure of dancing around the living room.

I don't recall Eminem starring in that one? Unless there was a remake I'm unaware of?
"You! You are the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber! And you, well, I just plain don't like you."
~Stewart Gilligan Griffin
Updated On: 9/7/04 at 02:49 AM
Marquise Profile PhotoMarquise Profile Photo
Marquise
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i see your point dgrant...it's cool papa.
shira467
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Daisy, I have to confess...

I want to join your family for a night! It sounds so fun and carefree. It sounds so TV perfect.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
God knows I'm p*ssing in the wind here, as all one has to do is look at what is accepted as 'mainstream' to realize I am hopelessly out of step with society. But, so be it. I'll never be comfortable in a culture that allows something like that 'Gotti' reality show - the one that actually celebrates and stars members of a known criminal family - or sets before me a national magazine cover with a man who boasts eleven bullet wounds.

Eventually, we'll probably see 'At Home With the Bin Ladens' - and I'll just continue to move further and further away from the daily lives of my fellow man.

But, as you say, it's cool.

Peace.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Daisy - please know that 99.9999999% of the people on this board - indeed in the whole world - would respond to the picture in exactly the manner in which you intended it. It's an adorable picture of a child you love just being cute. It just struck a chord in me - and frankly, I wish I had never opened my big fat mouth.

If, in fact, anyone should actually read through the thread, I'm sure I would be seen as the Pri*k who just didn't get it at all.

I really don't want to detract from your pleasure in sharing this pic, so I'll just go about my business, and leave you to have a good time.

Again, peace.
Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm so tired of Britney Spears being blamed for the downfall of society. Since when is she the only celebrity who dresses scantily? Since when is she the only celebrity who's made unfortunate choices? There are plenty of other actors, singers, and athletes who are also at fault here. It shows absolutely no creativity nor imagination to continually put it all on one person. I would hope that at least the people on this board would be a bit more of both those things.

And Daisy, your badass little friend is adorable!
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
Pip Profile PhotoPip Profile Photo
Pip
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
HAH! He looks like my little brother trying to be "all that"! Cute kid, Daisy!